Selcted aircraft no longer shown in bottom window of "Create a Flight"

dmb06851

After successfully getting FS9 to install correctly in Windows 8.1 (see my previous thread) the program ran correctly with the Microsoft update and the no-disc fix installed.

After adding scenery and another aircraft from Just Flight, the selected aircraft in Create a Flight is no longer displayed - the window is black.

Removing the added aircraft and scenery made no difference.

I had made a back-up copy of the installation before adding the scenery and aircraft and ran that. The window was black in that too.

I erased all the FS9 files and started afresh, installing the 4 discs, MS's update, and the no-disc fix. The selected aircraft windows is still black.

What might the trouble be?

Equal rights for equal responsibilities.

Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

The selected aircraft window will only display in windowed mode. Toggle from full screen to windowed mode by pressing Alt+Return. There are plenty of other tips on running FS9 in Win8 out there, just google FS2004 Windows 8.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Vey confusing, but thank you.

Another thing to do.

When you start the Sim all the various user options are displayed at the top of the screen.

Hunt around in those (sorry icant be more specific) but you'll find the setting 'start in windowed mode' make sure that option is checked.(it might be start in fullscreen in which case make sure that option is UNCHECKED ) sorry about vague instructions ,haven't done it for awhile ,but it WILL fix your problem on a more permanent basis)

It will mean your sim will always start in windowed mode, without the need to keep pressing 'alt enter' all the time.

Your aircraft will now be displayed for you to see.

Its bit of a shame you didn't post earlier on this issue, it would have saved you from all that unnecessary unin /rein you subjected yourself to, on the other hand you've increased your FS tricks and tips knowledge for future reference.

Cheers Andy

There have been a LOT of "Selected Aircraft Window" issues on this forum over the years. Many, many of them have been resolved by updating video drivers. And as Jim Skorna says repeatedly and totally correctly, only get the updated driver from the MANUFACTURER'S website. If your install is on a new system, as it sounds like it is, then this may be well worth pursuing.
Steve from Murwilllumbah.

You might also alleviate this by changing the FSAA mode setting (on my system the options are "wide tent", "narrow tent", etc.).

Sorry, I have no idea what FSAA, wide tent, or narrow tent mean.

Another thing to do.

When you start the Sim all the various user options are displayed at the top of the screen.

Hunt around in those (sorry icant be more specific) but you'll find the setting 'start in windowed mode' make sure that option is checked.(it might be start in fullscreen in which case make sure that option is UNCHECKED )

Cheers Andy

I can't see those options anywhere. Flight Simulator opens the standard splash screen - with the DC3 - being about one quarter of the monitor's screen and located at top left. After a second or so the screen goes black for a second or so, briefly shows the standard splash screen at full screen and then displays at full screen the "Getting Started" etc screen.

Your good, health David

old_wombat, I will bear in mind the suggestion of driver updating.

When the Getting Started Screen is showing, press and hold down the Alt key on the keyboard and then press the Enter key on your keyboard. Now FS2004 will be in Windowed mode and the aircraft will be visible in the preview window.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Sorry, I have no idea what FSAA, wide tent, or narrow tent mean.

I can't see those options anywhere. Flight Simulator opens the standard splash screen - with the DC3 - being about one quarter of the monitor's screen and located at top left. After a second or so the screen goes black for a second or so, briefly shows the standard splash screen at full screen and then displays at full screen the "Getting Started" etc screen.

Your good, health David

old_wombat, I will bear in mind the suggestion of driver updating.

Hello

This really is very simple.

Start your Sim ,load your flight (it should be in fullscreen ,which you don't want of course)

PRESS alt to bring up the options at the top of the screen .

SELECT Views .The first option is Full Screen ,it should be checked.

Uncheck it!

Cheers Andy

PS Wide tent etc no idea ,something to do with hikeing perhaps

Insofar as I can change between the two screens, yes thank you.

If my memory serves me correctly, though, I didn't encounter this "problem" when I had the program on XP :confused: It always started with the selected aircraft displayed and the program's window filling the screen. Whether or not it was in full screen or windowed mode I can't say.

Insofar as I can change between the two screens, yes thank you.

If my memory serves me correctly, though, I didn't encounter this "problem" when I had the program on XP :confused: It always started with the selected aircraft displayed and the program's window filling the screen. Whether or not it was in full screen or windowed mode I can't say.

Pity!

I use 8.1 with no problems.

I have tried to help ,and iam sure I have given you the solution.

But that's it from me on this subject.

Cheers Andy

This is an issue for Win7 and above. The issues in XP were different.

* if the preview pane is blanked in full screen mode

* if you are using an NVIDIA card

Then the card driver is the culprit. See my post "FS2004 + Windows 7 + NVIDIA fix" from 18-Apr-15. You can fix the issue by using an older version of the Nvidia driver.

Thank you rowanh.

The graphics information mentions only Intel. I think it's incorporated on the main (single?) board. I haven't had the case open yet but I was told that it has the same innards as a laptop.

It's a Hewlett-Packard 110-412NA.

Archived