Top-down view key

suden111

Hi guys, I bought before Christmas FSX steam edition from steamcommunity.com. Before that, I assigned the "top-down view" key to F12. I liked it because from F9 to F12 all the main views were together (virtual cockpit, 2D cockpit, locked spot view & top-down view). Steam community assigned F12 to "snapshot". If I assign the key to "top-down" in setting-controls in FSX, it doesn't do anything. I've tried to change it also in camera.cfg [CameraDefinition.006], same result...Can somebody help me please. I know it's not a big big deal but it just annoys me. I was so used to it before that I keep presssing F12 all the time resulting to get these stupid snapshots. Thank you

Well you came to the right place. We 'veterans' learn something new every day. Being at it for 10+ years and still learning. Here go.

To get 'Top Down' view (in FSX ) using keypress (or joy 'button') go to Controls and assign the 'A' key to a joy button (or, to a key on keyboard - or BOTH (it's ok to do that - FSX allows it)).

Then when in Locked Spot view press the 'button' (or, key) 2 times. The 1st press will take you to 'Fly By' view, and the 2nd press will take you to 'Top Down' view. Here you can ZOOM in or out to cover as much territory as you need. I find grass strips with this view. This one feature I use all the time. Nothing like it. Beats GPS. Then press it 2 times to return to Locked Spot view.

When you are in 2D panel view, pressing that same key ('cycle view..') will bring up 'ALL' the VC views. If you are in VC panel view it will cycle to include the 2D panel view (it's in there, look for it). It will take as many presses as there are views (5?).

I also have a key assigned to 'Snap to 2D Panel View'. You can use this even when in Locked Spot view by HOLDING down that key. I also have a key set to 'Locked Spot view' to go directly to that view. Makes life easier.

Chuck B

FSX Top Down_Assign Key.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yeah. If you look at the picture you will see I assigned 'View...' to my joystick's 'Button 2'. Just click on left ('Event' column) 'View...' and press the F2 key to re-assign it to the F2 for 'View..next view.' and then you can press the 'F2' key 2 times when in Locked Spot view to get the Top Down view.

Another way to do this is to press the '[' key to bring up a window then choose 'Outside' and then 'Top Down'. This will put a window on screen that you can move with left mouse button (hold and drag) then put cursur on edges and drag window to the size you want.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I can't speak to assigning keys to views, as I seldom do it. I use F9 and F10 all the time, but other than that...

Having said that, there is a add-on minipanel that has both a ground mapping radar system, and a wonderful, amazing, fantasic PaveTac display, originally made for the f-111 by Tim "Piglet" Conrad. The PaveTace is a screen with various views available, including several angled down views, which you can use as a top-down view very nicely. You can have the terrain on or off, different things included, like airports, VOR's etc etc. It can display you flightplan, etc etc etc. The Ground Mapping Radar is a smaller, much more limited view.

It's a lot like having a topdown window open, but with a great deal more options. I use it all the time. You can also "borrow" either gauge, and put them into a plane's cockpit, either as a pop-up window, or a cockpit panel display. 2D or 3D (if there's room).

I use the minipane on ALL my planes. To me it's an amazing add-on. I also have either the Pave-Tac and/or Ground Mapping Radar in a number of cockpits as pop-ups. VERY handy, for me. The Pave-Tac takes a little time to learn but once you do, you will wonder how you did without...

SO, no, I can't speak to key assigments like Mr. Napamule can. Although I know HOW, I just seldom DO. But I know this minipanel add-on, and it's various gauges (some amazingly useful gauges they are too), and while it's not very "realistic" as far as accurate gauges for a particular aircraft or period, I just love it so much I can't live without it now.

I can post the zipfile name here if you want. If I'm having a good day, maybe even a link to the download location in the Library here...

I just wanted to mention it as possible alternative to pressing keys or trying to change key assignments. Especially sinnce a lot of the time FSX-SE updates put out replace config files, including the key mapping one, so you either have one saved off to put back in, or you have to go through and reset all the key assignments you want to have.

Just my 2 copper pieces worth...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Interesting, I had a look and opened: "Controls".

The key that gives me top down view is I set that up a while ago.

I had a look what function shift F12 is assigned to. It is:

"View Camera 4 (select)" Action." (!!!!!!)

Then, I scrolled down and saw what you had been assigning to.

I found Action: "Top Down View (shortcut)"

I assigned it to

I went into a flight and pressed

Nothing happened. No top down view opened!!

------------------

Assign the key you want for Top Down, to, "View Camera 4 (select)".

(That is in the cameras.cfg (In the section for top down it says: "Hotkeyselect=4")

Enjoy,

il88pp

PS: I'm using FSX Gold - Box Edition.

PPS: Interesting that assigning a key to the Action "Top down View" doesn't seem to work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys your just all confusing the issue completely and posting irrelevant info. His controls in game were fine as is, they didn't need messing around with. And nothing he does to FSX files will change the default behaviour of Steam.

@OP - The Steam software itself has options that are universal across all games. One of these is the screenshot key which can be changed to any keybind. It is NOT done in the game.

On your desktop taskbar, right click on the blue and white Steam icon and chose "settings".

Then in the new window that opens, on the left side click on the "In-Game" tab. It will now open a new window and on the far right side of this new window is the "Screenshot Shortcut Key" option panel. Simply click on the assigned command and either change it to something like print screen or simply delete it.

Et voila; No steam screenshot on the F-keys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everything works fine but my goal starting that thread was to assign F12 to "top-down view" and not to "snaphots". Do you know a way to do it?

Simple solution is reassigning the steam community screenshot key to Print Screen in Steams options page.

CptCaveman has the answer.

Open the Steam client.

Click on View > Settings > In-Game and reassign the Steam print screen key.

Then go into the FSX settings and re-assign VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_4 to F12.

peace,

the Bean

[edit]

oops, we cross-posted

[/edit]

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Guys your just all confusing the issue completely and posting irrelevant info. His controls in game were fine as is, they didn't need messing around with. And nothing he does to FSX files will change the default behaviour of Steam..

Thank you so much guys, it works perfectly. A few more questions, why in the camera.cfg file, the top-down view is assign to 4 ?

[CameraDefinition.006]

Title = Top-Down

Guid = {A2849229-938A-448f-8AC6-01EF2291C171}

Description = This is the description of the map or top down view.

Origin = Center

SnapPbhAdjust = Orthogonal

PanPbhAdjust = Orthogonal

Track = None

ShowAxis = Yes

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 256

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ShowWeather = No

XyzAdjust = FALSE

Transition = No

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Outside

HotKeySelect=4

Also, what do you think of steamcommunity? I was disappointed because I wanted to download the program and keep it...instead, they installed the entire game from their website and the path for the FSX game is weird...C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX. Do you know a good place where I can buy the file and the licence and get the file saved on my PC?

Well, I was looking ahead to when he might be using FSRecorder as it 'takes' the 'F' keys for it's own use. And you won't be able to use some keys like you have been used to using.

For best LEARNING get the FSX Commands: 'fsxcmnds.zip', 1.98 Mb, by 'Radarman', here in library. He put everything in order, and it prints out to 1 page (landscape) which you can fold and keep handy. I myself use it often. That's all I got (for now).

Chuck B

...why in the camera.cfg file, the top-down view is assign to 4 ?

The default keys F9-F12 are set to VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1-4.

As to why Microsoft chose those views, who knows?

In case you did not use FS9, it only had 5 views, 2D panel, VC panel, Spot View, Tower View and Top Down View.

The FSX camera system is greatly expanded on that and I would guess MS set the default FSX views to be somewhat reflective of the FS9 system.

Also, what do you think of steamcommunity? I was disappointed because I wanted to download the program and keep it...instead, they installed the entire game from their website and the path for the FSX game is weird...C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX. Do you know a good place where I can buy the file and the licence and get the file saved on my PC?

Not sure what you are asking here. Do you want FSX on your system? You have it.

If you do not like the location, it can be changed.

peace

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I got this. FSX Steam Edition: First Look: 18:40 duration: Lots of info. Well done video.

Link:

Chuck B

Not sure what you are asking here. Do you want FSX on your system? You have it.

If you do not like the location, it can be changed.

I mean, I would have liked to download the entire file in a folder and installed it myself. Instead, all I've downloaded from steam was the installer. Once you execute the installer, it download the file and start the installation by itself. I should have bought the DVD instead. It would have installed it in the normal path..C:\Program Files (x86)\dovetailgames\..etc...but that's OK, I'll get use to it

Anyway, thank you very much guys, as usual you've been very helpful. I might need your help soon again . I bought the yoke, throttle & rudders from Saitek and I'm afraid to have problems configuring all that

As to the Saitek products, use the disc that comes with them. Then all you'll need to do is calibrate your new devices or change control inputs if the default settings don't suit you.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well, what we would like to hear from you is if you tried ANY of the suggestions and any of them work (ie: can you use keys or joy button to get 'Top Down' view). Steam might have taken the F12 key away but the Sim is STILL FSX and as such you can change the key assignments and even have seperate keyboard AND joy button assigned to any one EVENT. You need the FSX Commands zip to use as a guide. Armed with that you can then go to 'Settings/Controls' and change to suit your fancy. You have to scroll thru all the assignments as the descriptions (names) are not what you and I would expect (or like). That's what we have to 'put up' with with Sim (ie: Microsoft 'style' of doing things). Give us some feedback please. Thanks.

Chuck B

• 11 months later...
Hi. I know it is late for a thank you to the solution that is so simple and so clever. I have been trying for months to reassign F12 to Topdown view - also with changing the assignment in Steam (Screendump). But you might get to read this anyhow. I chose to assign F12 to View Camera 4 (select)
Tommy Engman ESNU

Well then just hope you never use FSRecorder because it takes the 'F' keys. When you use FSRecorder you will be back where you started. Jumping from one view to another is as simple as assigning ANY joy button (I prefer the switch button, within reach of thumb, and just below the hat switch) and assign 'A' to that button. You have to be in Locked Spot view, but that is easy, then 2 presses will give you a full screen top down view that goes away when you press a button to switch view (I choose a button mapped to 'Snap to Locked Spot' view to go back). You will find other ways of doing this. But when you are flying and don't have a lot of time to switch views (like when on approach and need to find that grass strip os as to turn to final) you go with what works under all conditions. In fact, if it is overcast and you can't SEE the grass strip, in Top Down view you get an 'EXTRA' feature in that you CAN see the ground (thru the clouds). Just saying.

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived