Black Widow Joystick

chris18p

Hi, have just installed XP10 as an extra challenge to my existing FSX during the winter months!!!

With FSX I am still a novice having dipped in and out over the years but have bought the Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training book having read reviews saying it's very good to learn about things properly with FSX and I want to be more proficient and get more enjoyment. Also because I am using Windows 7 on a "new" PC bought just for flying and OpenRails I was getting the crashes on FSX and bought XP before finding out about the UIAutomationCore.dll fix which seems to have made things better so far.

The book uses the Piper J-3-Cub as it's a very basic aircraft with few controls (ideal for a novice) in it's initial lessons which is OK for FSX but that doesn't exist on XP10 by default so have downloaded and installed an add-on Piper J 3 Cub v9 for XP so I have it on both system so can use the book on both too.

On FSX my Black Widow joystick works quite well but I am having real problems with XP. If I try to take off with the Piper even without touching the rudder controls it tends to veer left and when I pull back on the stick it will leave the ground but again has a tendency to veer to the left and doesn't get much height so eventually crashes. If I try and use the rudder the wings will dip and scrape on the ground, I just can't get it to go straight.

It's strange that even with full power and the joystick right back the aircraft doesn't climb steadily as with FSX and the controls don't seem to have much affect. I am still playing about with the controls setting for XP but getting nowhere fast.

I realise that XP is a more demanding simulator but I need to get the joystick right to have any chance of mastering it. My intention is to run FSX and XP in parallel using the book as my guide.

Is anyone using the Black Widow with XP and can offer advice on best settings? Alternatively is there a better budget priced joystick I should use with both say Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick or Logitech 3D Extreme Pro.

Thanks

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Black Widows (joysticks or otherwise), but the easiest way to solve this kind of problem is to delete the preferences

- Open the X-Plane installation directory

- Go to the Output folder \ Preferences folder.

- Delete all the files inside the Preferences folder

- Restart XP

Hope that helps.

Are you using right rudder to counteract the swerve to the left?

M. Slim

P3D4.5 ; Win7 Pro i7-6700K 3.50GHz 6MB

ASUS Z170-K ATX mobo ; Ripjaws 16gb DDR4/3000MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 ; 512GB Samsung 850 PRO, 512GB Samsung NVME 970

Single engine props tend to go left. It's the P Factor. The cirularly rotating wind from the prop hitting hte plane's fuselage and tail surfaces and applying pressure to them. You need to trim your rudder and elevators to compensate. If possible on a certain plane, of course. Have you tried trimming the rudder and elevators? Or at least made sure they are zeroed? Have you taken a look at the plane from a spot view ao check the control surfaces?

Is it possible that the default plane you load up with has the autopilot on, and it's still on in the Cub? Have you tried hitting the Autopilot Off key to make certain?

I know less than nothing about that particular joystick OR plane, but I know P-Factor! Are you sure the joystick is properly set up and calibrated in XP? Are you using something like a setup and calibration included with the joystick, or the Windows default? I've seen people seem to have a lot of trouble with joystick calibration files that are added on, and not the Windows default.

Just a couple thoughts...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Wow! I didn't know a Cub had that much torque. Sounds like a calibration issue. Too much or not enough null zone can really mess with your mind! Make sure you center and calibrate all controls in each plane before flying. Then if needed, you can adjust the null to what works for you.

BTW: I have tried a couple of different sim joysticks and being an old RW pilot I never was satisfied with the twist the stick for rudder solution. I bought a set of rudder pedals and find it's much more intuitive and natural now!

Just be glad you're not RW flying a Spitfire or a Mustang! (On no, I'm not speaking of automobiles.) They're both infamous for flipping on takeoff roll and killing the pilot if too much throttle was rolled in too soon. Must have been something to do with that P factor Pat was talking about above.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I am afraid you bought a 'lemon'. Reviews are bad. Last only 6 months. No way to calibrate the null zone. Best get this stick. I had mine for 15 years-still works like new (and I use it EVERYDAY). Oh, it's at Amazon.

Chuck B

MS Sidewander Pro_$23 Used_Amazon.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for the replies. I am still trying to sort out the calibration on the joystick etc. and since posting I have read up on a lot of info about the P factor.

Even in the short time I have had XP10 I have realised that it's an entirely different animal to FSX and will need a lot more effort on my behalf to get to grips. Will need to look more closely at the calibration side of things and also check that the controls on the Cub are actually being activated properly by the Black Widow.

I deleted the Preference settings and reloaded XP10 as suggested earlier but no joy.

I also tried the default Cessna in XP10 and got the same result.

As regards the Black Widow I have had since 2013 and so far it's been OK with FSX. Have looked for the Sidewinder Precision 2 but there doesn't seem much, if any, available in the UK only 2 on eBay one at £3 but not much info and another at £30!!. I have been looking at the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick as this seems to get good reviews but whether it would be better than my Black Widow is something I am not sure off, any comments would be appreciated.

At the moment I would welcome any suggestion as to how to set things up simply just so that I can at least make an attempt at flight

Hm, sounds like you have a serious problem.

When setting up the control axes, do all of them have a function assigned (green bar)? You should avoid actively controlled axes with "none" as an assignment.

Also, some plug-ins appear to change the preferences. You might want to remove them (if any) one by one, to see what happens.

Thanks, limited on time about the moment because of the holiday but will be checking everything again within the next couple of days and will post back.

In the meantime any thought as to the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick compared to the Black Widow??

I use yoke and pedals, so wouldn't know about joysticks. All I can say is that switching joysticks may not necessarily solve your problem. In principle all joysticks should work with XP. Hence trying to figure out what exactly is going on may be your best option for now.

I use a Thrustmaster, although not the Hotas version. Just the joystick with a throttle slider I never use, and twist for the rudder.

What I like about it is that it uses a special sensor on the movement axes, so it's all electronic. I can set my null zones at 0, and all it takes is a little pressure and it moves. But not full throw. It has the same slope for it's output as any other joystick, once calibrated. Also, I can't get dirt inside the potentiometers, as there are't any. Again, all electronic. At worst, the springs get a little loose the more I use it. Just reduces the "feel" is all.

If I could afford one, and it used the same tunnel diode sensors, I would get the HOTAS, so I could have a throttle, but other than that I am very happy.

I've never used a BlackWidow, so I can't comment on them.

It may be, as Mr. Napamule said, you just got a lemon. Mass production means there will be a bad item sneak through now and then.

Hope that helps a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Have had another play around and initially managed to get the aircraft (Piper J 3 Cub) off the ground but it didn't want to climb then did a left bank and crashed.

Played about a bit more with the settings using posts here and elsewhere and finally managed a take off (but wouldn't have like to be a passenger) and a more or less successful flight

With the settings shown there seems to be a dead spot (null) so that any slight deviation from straight ahead makes an exaggerated move and makes control hard.

Comments welcome.

XP 10 Capture.PNG

Archived