FTX Global In New Mexico

lnuss

Is anyone running FTX Global in the central New Mexico area, perhaps ABQ and SAF? If so, it'd be nice to have a handful of screenshots, especially of the desert textures around there.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hey guys, does anyone mind telling me to how install FTX global base/vector and open LC to FSX?

They are on my external hard drive right now. Do I need to put them on my PC's drive? Do I need to put them in a specific FSX folder?

Thanks much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Larry,

Shots from around Albuquerque, Sedona, Santa Fe, and Phoenix... No UTX yet - just FTX Global on ground textures - P3D all defaults...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr350_zpsr7asuxjl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr349_zpsyf2buzab.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr344_zpskvr2wi3b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr347_zpsgv6yxqpq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr345_zpse7xjlisn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr348_zpstdrqd4oj.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/scottb613/P3D/fsscr346_zpsvcoabliz.jpg

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Larry,

Welcome - I really haven't tweaked anything yet - just all defaults...

While it's been a while since I've traveled the desert areas out west - seems to me that the terrain is missing some "reds" in the coloring... Guess since it's just a global texture set - compromises need to be made...

So far I'm liking P3D - as mentioned other places I've completely ignored FSX - so this really is a whole new world for me... I may try adding a new graphics card and faster/more memory to extend the life of my old Sandy... Even at 20 FPS the sim seems more than usable - 20 FPS in FS9 seems like a slide show...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

The airports in this pack include: 06C CEA5 CYID KBCE KEVY KLRG KRZZ NE77 06FA CED3 CYKF KBDQ KEYE KLXT KSAA NWP 09J CED5 CYKL KBDR KFFA KLXT KSAW NY94 0B8 CEF3 CYKY KBFL KFFZ KLZU KSBP O24 0G7 CEF6 CYKZ KBGD KFKN KMCD KSBX O57 1D2 CYNR CYLJ KBGR KFKS KMDQ KSDY PHBK 2W6 CEG4 CYLL KBHB KFLG KMEV KSFZ PHDH 33N CEJ3 CYMM KBID KFME KMGC KSGR PHHN 36U CEL4 CYMO KBIV KFMN KMIC KSGS PHJH 39N CEN2 CYOD KBJC KFOD KMIV KSHR PHJR 3B0 CEN3 CYPG KBMQ KFRM KMKC KSLK PHKO 3B1 CEN6 CYQG KBPI KGCN KMKT KSMO PHLI 3CK CEP6 CYQR KBPK KGDV KMLE KSRR PHMK 3DW CEQ3 CYQU KBRL KGFK KMLS KSSI PHMU 3GV CER2 CYQX KBTA KGGW KMLT KSUS PHNY 3M5 CEV3 CYQY KBTH KGIF KMMU KSUZ S00 3MY CEV7 CYRP KBTV KGLD KMPE KSWI S01 3NO CEW3 CYRQ KBUY KGON KMQI KSWO S71 46N CEW5 CYRT KBVO KGPM KMTN KSZL S85 49B CFD4 CYSC KCAD KGSO KMVY KSZL SBTR 4B8 CFD9 CYSJ KCBF KGWS KMYF KTBR T82 4B9 CFF9 CYTH KCDC KHEF KNEW KTDZ T94 4K3 CFG3 CYTN KCDN KHFY KOCW KTEX U42 4K3 CFG6 CYTZ KCHD KHIE KOLD KTHV U96 4O3 CFL2 CYVQ KCHU KHIG KOLV KTOA U96 4U3(KLTY) CFX6 CYVV KCIR KHND KONM KTOP W48 55Y CJB3 CYXE KCJR KHSE KOQU KTTN W95 57B CJD3 CYXH KCMA KHSP KOWD KTVY WS2 5B3 CJE3 CYXJ KCMX KHSV KOXB KUMP CYQT 60J CJF4 CYXR KCNY KHVN KOXR KUNV CYWJ 67L CJZ4 CYYG KCON KHVR KPDK KUUU CYWY 7B6 CKE8 CYYN KCRQ KIEN KPIR KUVA 7B9 CKQ6 CYYT KCRW KIGM KPLD KVBT 7I7 CVL2 CYZF KCSV KIMT KPLK KVKX 7M4 CYAV CZFN KCUB KIPL KPMV KVNC 7Y2 CYBF GE99 KCVK KIPT KPNC KVNY 83J CYBP I69 KCYW KISW KPRC KXHD 8A1 CYBR KACK KDBQ KITH KPSM L12 90F CYBW KAJO KDIK KIXA KPVC L35 9K4(KRCM) CYCB KAKR KDLH KIYK KPVU L41 9S2 CYCT KALM KDUC KJGG KPWD L52 BHHH CYEA KANJ KDVT KJSV KPYM LFVP C29 CYEN KAPA KDWH KJYO KRCT M01 CAL4 CYES KARB KECP KLAF KRDG M70 CAP9 CYFC KARW KEDC KLAR KRDK M74 CCN2 CYGH KAUO KEDJ KLBE KRIR M75 CCZ3 CYGK KAVL KEKO KLBF KRMG MMLT CDK2 CYGV KAVX KEMT KLCI KRMN MUVR CYDA CYHY KAXA KESC KLEB KRUT N94 CYEV CYHZ KAXN KESN KLOU KRWL NC06

Hi Larry,

Just one more thought - while I've always been a fan of the GEX guys - the added advantage of using FTX is that the above airports are all improved with a FREE scenery enhancement from ORBX and certainly offer a vast improvement over default... Includes custom buildings, static aircraft, automobiles, airport facilities, and even animated people... It was a major part of my decision making process to purchase and certainly tipped the scales in favor of FTX... Hopefully they continue to add more... They look pretty decent and a nice bonus...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

While it's been a while since I've traveled the desert areas out west - seems to me that the terrain is missing some "reds" in the coloring... Guess since it's just a global texture set - compromises need to be made...

The reds are definitely missing in the screenshots, but I've not seen anything in the default that provides very much of that, either. When I do see the red, it's often in the wrong places or overdone.

A nice list of airports, but I've been making my own (in NM and parts of CO) for several years, now, so that's not an issue in NM for me. That looks like the list of freeby airports that are available separately as a package, which I've already downloaded and installed -- they are very nice.

BTW, Scott, are you running Global Vector and Open LC, or is it Global Base alone? We are hoping to find some screenshots somewhere that show those with the Base, to help determine what, if anything, a friend and I might want to get. We both spent years living and flying in NM and, though ORBX is unlikely to put out a region that incorporates NM, we'd like to get as much of the benefits of a region as possible (globally), since we've thoroughly enjoyed all the North America regions of ORBX.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Oh - I misunderstood - I thought you needed FTX to use the freeware pack...

Sorry for any misunderstanding, Scott. We have all the North America regions of FTX, so the only things that Global would provide for those airports is the surrounding area.

We are both using UTX 2 and, while it's good, it's nothing like the FTX regions provide. The roads, rivers, etc. in UTX are good and general landclass is good, but it's not great on the landclass, and there's nothing changing the scenery appearance at all with UTX (beyond where things appear due to landclass). We were hoping that Global might provide us with something useful, and also wanted to see what difference the three packages together might provide in New Mexico.

Your screenshots have helped quite a bit, and we thank you for that, but also we're hoping that someone with all three pieces might do a shot or two of that area for comparison. Thanks for the help.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

The thing is FTX Global also supplies a large area of landclass with some custom textures for the southwest US in the form of ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 and ORBX!OPENLC_BASE. That was a modification at I believe FTXG v1.1 in response to the many "green deserts" complaints they got on the initial release. These OpenLC areas in the scenery library will normally override the UTX USA v2 landclass unless you swap some things around in the scenery library so Scott's shots really are showing what you'd end up with if you installed FTXG overtop of your UTX v2.

The OpenLC areas (plus supplied textures - it sorta works like an FTX region) are actually redder/browner than their normal FTXG counterparts found in the scenery/world/texture folder so if you disable the OpenLC areas in the scenery library the UTX landclass underneath will call textures from scenery/world/texture and the deserts would likely appear greener for that reason.

I believe (hope) that when OpenLC USA is finally released it'll have a completely new set of Southwest desert textures and we'll likely see a much better representation of the Southwest at that point. They initially said OpenLC USA would be released before 2016 but that may have been pushed back a couple months due to the release of v3 and the effort now to make quad installers available for all the current titles.

Jim

Just to clarify Larry - there are no general landclass files *with* Global. you must purchase the OpenLC items from Orbx or use someone else's landclass. Global is textures only.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Just to clarify Larry - there are no general landclass files *with* Global. you must purchase the OpenLC items from Orbx or use someone else's landclass. Global is textures only.

Vic

OK, thanks -- that was my original impression, so I guess I misunderstood your post about LC. Getting Open_LC will be high pri when its available.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Vic

That's incorrect, an installation of FTXG does in fact place 3 special landclass folders under OpenLC in your Orbx folder (OLC_AA, OLC_EU1, and OLC_NA1), they are not all-inclusive, they cover relatively small areas (the southwest US primarily, haven't checked the EU coverage).

Here's how this works, first here's what Santa Fe, NM looks like with FTXG, this would be the standard installation with the OpenLC landclass areas above the UTX USA v2 LC. The UTX LC takes over anywhere outside the coverage area of the specialized OpenLC southwest US LC. (click to enlarge)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/OpenLC_above_UTX_LC.jpg

This is what it looks like with the 3 FTX OpenLC areas disabled in the scenery library (so in other words only using the UTX supplied LC)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/UTXLC_only.jpg

This is the old FSGenesis US Nat'l Landclass Project LC above the UTX landclass but with the 3 OpenLC areas still disabled (FSGenesis cancels out the UTX LC)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/FSGLC_above_UTXLC_OLC_disabled.jpg

Here I did an experiment, same as above except I removed the FSGenesis LC from the scenery library and reactivated all 3 OpenLC areas, I then dropped the actual FSGenesis fsglcx_us.bgl into the FTX_OLC\OLC_NA1\Scenery folder. I disabled the FTX supplied 02_LC_SW_USA.bgl temporarily, the idea being that fsglcx_us.bgl would now be able to call the redder/browner textures in the accompanying OLC_NA1\Texture folder. As you can see it did, that's what I meant by "(plus supplied textures - it sorta works like an FTX region)" in my earlier post.

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/FSGLC_bgl_in_OLC_folder.jpg

Here's the coverage of the OpenLC Southwest US overlayed onto the default worldlc.bgl in TMFViewer

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/OLC_SWUSA_TMFViewer.jpg

A note: when you use FTXG over UTX (or even if you don't) you should disable "Other Terrain Features > GPP City Parks" in the UTX USA Setup Tool (or at least disable GPP1818.bgl in the UtUsaGp\Scenery folder), otherwise you get a hideous landclass poly that's apparently supposed to represent Monument Valley. It doesn't look any better in FSX with GEX USA v2 installed BTW. I think these LC park polys are probably auto generated from GIS data, Monument Valley is a Nat'l park so it automatically got a park poly, most likely without any human intervention. :)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/UTX_GPP_layer_monument_valley.jpg

Hope that clears things up a bit :)

Jim

Wow! Wonderful show and tell, Jim. That really helps my understanding. It makes the differences very clear and is exactly the info we needed. I really appreciate the time and effort you put forth to provide this wonderful information for us.

Thanks ever so much.

Larry

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

That's incorrect, an installation of FTXG does in fact place 3 special landclass folders under OpenLC in your Orbx folder (OLC_AA, OLC_EU1, and OLC_NA1), they are not all-inclusive, they cover relatively small areas (the southwest US primarily, haven't checked the EU coverage).

Rgr Jim - I misunderstood and forgot about the "localized" LC.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived