Sim keeps pausing

TheRedBadger

I'm an "AFK" pilot, meaning while my plane is happily buzzing off to its destination, I'm off doing other things/being productive with my time. Unfortunately, after my computer restarted and updated some things, the simulator developed a very, very nasty habit of pausing every 4 to 5 minutes. This has always happened randomly every now and then, but now it keeps happening regularly so I have to come back and unpause every time. Usually it's a program in the background that pops up and pauses the sim, sometimes it is not, but as of now, the simulator decides to spontaneously pause on me.

Again, it's definitely not a background program; when this happens, I have to click on the FS9 window to unpause, but in this case, a simple press of the 'P' key unpauses the simulator.

Carlos Si

In the Settimgs menu, look for 'Pause on task change' and uncheck it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

In the Settimgs menu, look for 'Pause on task change' and uncheck it.

That's actually very useful. Unfortunately on long flights I won't be able to stop the flight if I'm away with my computer alarm, although that's good to know.

I'll verify shortly if the problem persists. Like I said, the problem isn't an external one, but rather the sim "chooses" to pause if idle for a few minutes.

It stopped pausing. although I wasn't on AP. Regardless, I think I'll keep the setting unchecked since it drives me nuts when the flight pauses just a minute or two after going afk. I'll update if I see anything else happen.

(It also could have been my paranoid anti-virus)

Thanks!

Carlos Si

That's actually very useful. Unfortunately on long flights I won't be able to stop the flight if I'm away with my computer alarm, although that's good to know.

I'll verify shortly if the problem persists. Like I said, the problem isn't an external one, but rather the sim "chooses" to pause if idle for a few minutes.

It stopped pausing. although I wasn't on AP. Regardless, I think I'll keep the setting unchecked since it drives me nuts when the flight pauses just a minute or two after going afk. I'll update if I see anything else happen.

(It also could have been my paranoid anti-virus)

Thanks!

Hello

You said in your OP that the pause was definitely not caused by a program running in the background, but

you also state that it could be your paranoid anti - virus ,so the AV is running whist hour flying then?

What I've always done when flying solo offline (which is all the time) I simply disconnect from the internet ,and make sure I shutdown my AV.( I use avast which can actually be quite hard to close).

Actually as an update to that ,I do not shut down Avast any more as it has a 'gaming option' that allows it to run whist iam simming and online ,but still provides protection.( I hope :))

I get no pauses in my sims either 9 or X.

Cheers

Andy

It sounds like something is briefly stealing the focus. I had this issue on my Vista system, not just with games but even with Firefox - I could be typing an email and suddenly there's no typing because the browser window is inactive. Process Lasso helped immensely here, it monitors background processes and dynamically lowers their thread priority if they interfere with the foreground program (this also virtually eliminated stutters in many games).

Another consideration is that the OS will consider any program running for long with no user input to be idle and assign it background priority, doing anything periodically - change views, etc. - will alleviate this. (The registered version of Process Lasso has a game mode which functions even more aggressively and helps with this too.)

• 4 weeks later...

This problem is long-gone, by the way. The issue was probably my paranoid anti-virus that was installed; it wouldn't even let me open the AIFP I use for editing flight plans! Plus I was unable to download anything. That nasty rascal was un-installed and everything was dandy from there on out.

As for the name of the anti-virus, it was the 360 AV (green logo).

Carlos Si

I USED to have Avast until it 'upgraded' itself and got TOO intrusive and was always 'calling home'. You should try Webroot SecureAnywhere v9.07.46. Less intrusive and not even noticeable at any time. I surf web and have FSX Accel or FS9 loaded but minimized (paused) and never have any problems swithing around anymore. Avast USED to be 'ok'. Not anymore. Oh, and I now use IceDragon (a version of FireFox) and NEVER use Internet Explorer (any version).

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived