Ball park descent speeds for airliners question.

Logic dictates that if you can maintain something close to that for the whole descent profile you will have a much easier time reaching the speed at the height - slowing from 280 to 250 is almost certainly going to need speed brakes if you leave the slowing down until 11,000...

Naw.. I do it all the time, and don't touch the speed brakes. You just adjust the

ROD to what you need. I'll often start slowing at around 11,500 or even lower, and

just roll back the vertical speed to about 900-1000 fpm. Even less if needed in order

to bleed off speed before clicking over 10k. VNAV will do the same thing if you let the

puter run the show.

I've seen VNAV wait until almost the last 1000 ft before starting to pitch up to slow

down. Depends on the CI a bit on where it starts. With a high CI, it will wait until

almost the last 1000 ft.

I'll often run 280-290-300 knots until almost the last minute before the pitch up for

No-one has mentionde them but if you are flying a tubeliner they are the most important consideration and your ROD cannot exceed 1,000-1,500 ft/min AND retain a suitable cabin differential AND cabin alt change rate.

Shouldn't be that critical.. The controller should keep things fairly stable in the cabin.

I have no qualms at doing a descent of even 3000 fpm in the NG. Even more is within

OK specs, although that would be quite a dive bomb approach.

The bodies in the back will notice abrupt pitch changes a lot more than just a steep

descent in itself. Most all my initial ascents after takeoff are steep too.. Over 3000, or even over 4000 fpm climb is not unusual for short periods of time.

They may need to swallow a couple of times on the climb out, but that is normal. :eek:

The BBJ's usually being light tend to climb like scalded house cats. But even the fully

loaded planes can climb pretty brisk when they get to 250 and the plane has to pitch up

to hold that speed below 10k. " constant N1"

Archived