Carrier Craziness???

Floydturbo

Hello All, I am moving into carrier stuff with the F-18. Today I have spent 90 minutes trying to find out why my ATTACH BAR will not come up from the carrier deck. It's the only thing stopping me...from doing it like the tutorial says. I can take it off without the Bar and the catapult but I'd like to do it right first. The tutorial said to hit "Shift I" to initiate the the Attach Bar. No luck. Any ideas? Thanks. Dave R

Just a side note.

For a really REALLY good (realistic) F/A-18C that is a real joy to fly, land on carrires, and launch from same, try the one from FSDT's famous Jimi it's called the v15.6. It may be found here. http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146

You must install the Training version, and then any and all other versions you might like. Each version goes into it's own folder in your \SimObjects\airplanes folder. It saves HD space, rather than have all the files for each and every version.

Jimi, Orion, and many others were the ones who helped develop the original FSX Acceleration Hornet, and the v15.6 is a HUGE improvement on that aircraft. It is, and I am quoting a couple of real world hornet pilots that fly with the FSX Demonstration Team (of whom Jimi is the XO, btw), "THE single most realstic to the real world Hornet available in the Sim world". The Flight Control System is amazing.

It has a small problem around 450kts with uncommanded yawing and pitching, but i can tell you how to fix it, if you want.

It also comes with a large number of repaints included, all of them very well done indeed.

Another dandy little pair of add-ons is AICarriers.NET, and vLSO, both from the incredible Mr. Orion, of the FSDT team. He is an amzing programmer! Smart as a whip too. It's available on the FSDT forum also. Just do a quick search for either one.

These three things will really improve you carrier flights, and make the entire experience incredibly realistic and fun.

Any questions, Please feel free to ask! Enjoy your "Controlled Crashes" :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Not sure if these are he default assignments, but the sequence is:

-launch bar (extend /reract) = Shift U

-takeoff assist (arm) = Shift I

-Takeoff assist (trigger) = Shift Spacebar

I kind-a thought it might be something like that. I tried everything. Where would that be?

Press ALT to bring up the menu bar at the top of the screen, then go to Options> Settings> Controls> Buttons/keys> Systems and scroll down to check that your key assignments are there. If they're not, assign them yourself.

This pic shows two of the ones you want. The other one is 'Launch bar (extend/retract)', scroll up a bit to get it.

And for good measure check your Tail hook SHIFT-Q is there too because you might need it for landing..;)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier-launch_zpsn1si5jnj.jpg~original

PS- I presume you're using the Carrier Tutorial?

Here's the briefing if you haven't already seen it-

Taxi to catapult at bow.

Lower launch bar SHIFT-U.

When the nose gear and launch bar are over the red and white striped square at the near end of the catapult, press SHIFT-I to attach to the catapult shuttle.

Throttle up, then Launch with SHIFT-Space

I just took these screenshots of my FSX Hornet on the moving carrier off Los Angeles, I should imagine the procedure is the same for the stock Carrier tutorial-

1- hit SHIFT-U to drop the launch bar anywhere on the deck (it pivots down from the nosegear leg)-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier1_zpsu6sy8som.jpg~original

2- taxi to put your nosewheel in the red square (doesn't have to be exactly in the middle) and hit SHIFT-I to lock into the end of the catapult-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier2_zpsyqdirisf.jpg~original

3- slam open the throttle, hit SHIFT-Spacebar and you're away..:)

"Where do we get such men? They leave this ship and they do their job. Then they must find this speck lost somewhere on the sea. When they find it they have to land on its pitching deck. Where do we get such men?"- Rear Adm. George Tarrant, 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri'

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier3_zpso4gggbmx.jpg~original

Looks great, SBK!

Do you use flaps 1 on cat shots? Just wondering, I always do.

The again, I use the v15.6 Hornet, and it has an amzing automatic flaps system, part of the incredible FTC...

When I was in, talked to a lot of pilots that had flown on/off the boat, and every one had the same thoughts. Just as the cat shot hits them, they think : "I can't believe they pay me to do this stuff!! WHEEE!!". But right before recovreing in bad weather, with a broken bird, or just on a bad day: "They don't pay me enough for this s&^%!!".

Great flights to all! May all your cats-n-traps go perfectly! Just make sure the number of traps matches the number of cats :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 months later...

Archived