FSX Garmin GPS 500 Replacement Gauge

fly1937

A new version has now been uploaded which improves the scalability and alignment of headings. This does not mean the gauge is infinitely scalable - it should always be wider than it is high. If anyone is having formatting problems when resizing the answer is always the same: make the gauge wider.

There are also a few cosmetic changes and some changes to the manual. No change to functionality.

G. Munro

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing now is that it needs the ground speed on it. I like to fly the small stuff and they don't have the ground speed on the PFD like others. Like to use it as a reference.
P3Dv4.5, nothing but Gigs of ORBX, REX 4 TD, REX WW Airports HD, SkyForce 3D, ASP4. I7 8700 CPU Liquid Cooled, 32g 3200 mem, GTX 1080ti on an ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard with Win 10. Goflight GF166A VRP, 2 X RP48, GF-T8. CH Pro Yoke and Pedals.

Yes you are right - the ground speed was on the Garmin and I inadvertently omitted it. The ETE was also on the right but this was omitted deliberately as it appears on the waypoint display and on the Flight Plan. I wanted the map to be as uncluttered as possible. I have added the Ground speed and will release it as an optional update only (just CAB file) unless there are any other omissions that anybody knows of?

G. Munro

Thank you Mr. Munro!

This gauge is fantastic, and just seems to get better all the time!

If I did a lot of heavy iron flying, with flight plans and so on, I would use a lot more of the features, but just for the funning around what I've seen is wonderful! I am loving it.

Thank you again, for all the hard work on this you did!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Couple of answers:

1. The gauge should work now with a Direct-to flight plan. A direct-to flight plan is just a flight plan with no waypoints. I have tried it and it seems to work but if anybody has any problem??

2. I did a quick check of the code and it is supposed to be counting down the total distance but I have no time to do a flight test now and will try tomorrow.

G. Munro

Good day to you, thanks for replying,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was posting from my phone earlier.

I meant. Normally, while flying and using the default GPS, I press the [-D->] button on the GPS gauge, and type the ICAO of the airport.

Then I press the [enter] button on the default GPS, and that generates a direct-to flightplan.

Another way is to select the airport in the airport page. Either with the ICAO, or if I don't know that, the airport name.

Then press [-D->]

and [Enter]

And again a direct to flightplan is created.

-------------------------

I didn't see such an option when trying out your GPS.

Did I just overlook it?

Or is it, in your GPS, only possible to enter a flightplan when using the flightplanner menu?

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good question, il88pp. I never thought of that, even though it's a feature of the default I use frequently. Especially when I get lost, which seems to be more and more these days... :D

I do hope there is a way.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

The direct-to as you describe is not something I had thought of doing as its not a function I have ever used. I will not put anything in the gauge that involves typing as this defeats the purpose of simplicity and I am against using the keyboard for any function in FSX. The idea of selecting an airport from the Nearest menu and doing a direct-to for that is possible since obviously the Garmin can do it but I have to study it further to see how it could be done. If it involves hundreds of lines of code I do not want to do it but on the face of it it seems simple.

I would presume that any direct-to flight plan entered in this way would override any previous flight plan which could not be recovered.

G. Munro

Thanks for looking at it.

As you never used it I will explain in detail how to use it in the default GPS.

(There is also a different way, no keyboard needed. I will post that in a few minutes.)

It does indeed replace (overwrite) the previously set plan. If that was save to file you could reload the original plan from the flight-planner.

To make a Direct-To plan you would:

-0- Open the GPS

-0-.JPG

-1- click [-D->]

after -1-.JPG

-2- click the small arrow to the right

after -2-.JPG

-3- type the icao on the keyboard

after -3-.JPG

-4- click the Enter button on the GPS. To select 'Activate'.

after -4-.JPG

-5- click [enter] on the GPS again, to activate the plan.

after -5-.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instead of step -3- you can also use the arrow keys on the gps to choose letters.

-0- Open the GPS

-1b- click [-D->]

-2b- click small arrow key to the right.

-3b- click the small arrow key again, to enter the first letter of the icao with the mouse.

------The letters scroll 0,1,2,----A, B, C etc with each click of the small arrow to the right.

after -3b-.JPG

-4b- click the large arrow to the right to select the second letter of the icao.

after -4b-.JPG

-5b- click the small arrow to the right to choose the next letter of the alphabet for the secon letter of the ICAO.

after -5b-.JPG

-6b- Etc, untill all 4 letters of the ICAO are there.

After -6b-.JPG

Then Again clicking enter twice Activates the flightplan.

(Nota bene, I said click the small arrow repeatedly for the next letter, but you can also hover on it and scroll.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Airport page you can select an airport using the same methods.

Either by typing, or by using the arrow keys exclusively.

After selecting an airport and clicking the [enter] button on the GPS you can use the [-D->] button to create a direct-to flightplan.

No need to type the ICAO again in that case.

Difference is, In the airport page you can slect the ICAO, but also the name of the airport,

in case you don't know the ICAO.

In the airport page you click the round [PUSH_CRSR] knob to allow an entry of an ICAO.

Then the small right arrow to select the first letter of the ICAO.

Or, to enter an airport name:

Click the round [PUSH-CRSR] knob,

Then the large arrow to swap from entering ICAO to entering the airport name,

Then the small arrow to the right to start entering the name.

Airport page, entering airport name:

airport page.JPG

-----------

Not visible in the screenshots, the cursor blinks while ready for entering an icao / aiport name letter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I have more or less completed this function. I started by doing it in the Garmin and found that after pressing the D key the whole system became unresponsive and FSX had to be restarted. There seems to be problems in the Garmin as well. However after reading documentation it seems there is a risk in any gauge of randomly crashing the system by doing a direct-to due to FSX problems. This risk is probably present in my gauge too although so far it has not crashed.

Anyway once I have completed the updates to the manual I can release this version. It will be able to do a direct-to to any point - Airport, VOR, NDB or intersection and the direct-to is reversible - i.e. the original flight plan can be reinstated with a single click. It will create a direct-to flight plan if there is none already and will display approaches if the end-point is an airport. I have also included the function to select any waypoint in the flight plan and to go directly to that point retaining the rest of the flight plan. This function is not reversible.

The total distance countdown is also in this. The biggest problem was to find a place on the screen for the button.

I am surprised nobody noticed that the nearest airports did not display Lat & Lon while the VORs, NDBs, and intersections did. This has also been fixed.

It may take a day or two to update the manual. If anyone can see a flaw in the above let me know quickly.

G. Munro

Thank you, that sounds great,

I will surely try the new version when it is ready. (and time allows).

The D key has never crashed my fsx. I also used the D key on the default 500 with both gps gauges installed, and no crashes then either. But I did not use it more then about 10 times in an airplane with both installed. If I see a crash I will let you know.

Thanks again,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds great, Mr. Munro! Thank you for the update coming soon. I use the direct-to frequently. Still can't believe I didn't notice it missing.

Just a note: I've never had a crash when pressing the -D-> key, nor entering a direct-to plan.

Many thanks to il88pp for taking the time and typing/screenshotting (is that a word??) the how-to of a direct-to plan entry. I have never touched the kb to enter the icao, but heck, live and learn. I use the scroll to turn the little arrow knob. MUCH faster for me than clicking it repeatedly.

Speaking of which, another little note: Clicking the left side of it, the

And I agree, to Mr. Munro goes all the honor and glory for this amazing gauge, the work involved in creating it, not to mention the time for writing the PDF User Manual. Many many thanks for the creation of it, and listening to our complaints/comments :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look for version 3A which I will upload soon.

G. Munro

Looking for it I am! Hardly wait can I :D :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It still has not appeared but its on Simviation.

Please read update instructions. There is a change to the panel.cfg even if you are updating. The new panel allows you to choose the background colour but if you do not change the old panel.cfg it will be transparent.

G. Munro

Archived