Joint FS Steam and FSX installation

Clarindo

I am hoping I will be able to explain in a clear way the FS situation I have in mind.

Using FSX with quite a few addons and files that I am keen to maintain, I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

My FSX version is old - bought the day it was launched and has Service Pack 1 but never did accept a Service Pack 2 installation - and yet has always operated satisfactorily with all the addons and programs which I use (FSTramp and FSCopilot, as an example). It would seem that Service Pack 2 would only be required for more recent versions (just speculating).

Now with Windows 10 these programs will not install (and will crash FSX in the attempt or state that there is a problem with such programs).

So I am assuming that I should now go with FS Steam which will accept SP2 but I would like to save and possibly get to use some of the best items in my current version of FSX.

1 -My questions are: can I have both FSSteam and FSX installed in the same computer or is this impossible or risky?

2 - To avoid a potential conflict is there a procedure or sequence to followed to avoid or minimize such problem?

3 - Should FSSteam be installed in a separate HD away from C:\ where FSX is now installed? Or won't this help as probable risks will reside with the common use of Registry?

I hope this attempted explanation will suffice to generate some assistance which will be greatly appreciated.

Having searched through the threads without finding a clue, would appreciate being informed in the event I missed it.

To backup the current FSX items I have saved to a separate directory in a separate HD the following:

AIRCRAFT - SCENERIES - ROOT FOLDER - FROM ROAMING FOLDER fsx.cfg and Controls.

Clarindo

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU - RAM 8GB DDR3

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 series - 3 LDE Monitors - FSX STEAM

Have just located in the net an information that could be the solution I am looking for:

FSX Expansion Pack already comes with Service Pack 2 installed and I assume it is easily available for purchase.

Would this be a solution: acquiring FSX Expansion Pack and installing it on top of my FSX version, thus saving everything I currently have installed?

Thanks again for your attention.

Clarindo

Don't know what "expansion pack" is. (maybe you mean fsx acceleration?)

------------------------------------------------

If you have fsx deluxe you can install service pack 1 and service pack 2 (SP1 and SP2) on top of that.

But! If you you have fsx deluxe AND the fsx acceleration installed at the moment you do not install the service packs. They are alreay included, in Accel, and installing SP1 and SP2 on top of that will even cause issues.

If you have only FSX deluxe at the moment, then yes, you can install fsx-Acceleration on top of that.

I have deluxe+Acceleration installed myself. They were sold separately, but were also sold together, as a 3-disk set, named FSX-Gold. (some disks, just together in one box-set.)

This link shows all the different versions, Of Microsoft Flight Simulator X:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X

---------------------------------------------------------

Steam version is pretty much the same thing. Only one or two small differences. But, The Steam version is Distributed not by Microsoft, but by Dovetail.

Diffferences: Has multiplayer again

(You can actually do multiplayer with the disk version too, but not from the old menu anymore.)

Does not have the SDK (needed for creating FSX files.)

It is FSX deluxe + Acceleration.

--------------------------------------

If you read the link I gave in the previouspost. (and I advise you to read that very carefully) you wil see at the end that it recommends NOT to do a dual install, but to use only one edition.

-------------------------------------------

Not sure what you were asking, but if you have only fsx deluxe now, and want to buy acceleration, that could be a problem.

Microsoft no longer sells the fsx disks.

(and buying second hand used cd's is a risk and expensive)

----------------------------

The SP1 and SP2 give better framerates and performance. They are free downloads from FSGamespy.

---------------

Acceleration gives the same as what SP1 and SP2 give, plus several extra aircraft.

------------------

If you are using the SDK (Software development kit) at the moment, and change your fsx version, you have to also change the SDK version.

SDK and FSX must match to be used. So:

FSX deluxe -- RTM SDK (that's the basic one)

Deluxe+SP1 -- RTMSDK + SP1 SDK

Deluxe + acceleration --- RTM SDK + Acceleration SDK.

--------

Don't do anything hasty. Concide the options carefully.

If you have many (payware) addons at the moment, upgrading your current FSX-DeLuxe install to Deluxe+SP1+Sp2, or to Deluxe+Acceleration, may well cause some addons to no longer work.

It is usually recommended to first install FSX-DeLuxe completely, upgrade it to the version you want, and only then install addons.

----

good luck. il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you very much il88. Could not expect a more comprehensive and complete orientation than what you have provided.

I have Windows 10 Pro installed and the two-disk FSX Deluxe.

Action plan now is:

a) disregard dual installation;

b) go with existing FSX-Deluxe installation (which technicians have tried to install SP2 to no avail);

c) which means go with this current FSX-DeLuxe+Acceleration;

d) this will probably save existing addons and also FSX matching SDK installation (some addons may not work)

e) Two major issues remain: 1) Not to be hasty... 2)Determining best way for acquisition of Acceleration which I can install on top of FSX Deluxe.

Small steps for an expert; giant steps for this adventurer.

You have been most helpful in providing much-needed information.

All the best,

Clarindo

b) go with existing FSX-Deluxe installation (which technicians have tried to install SP2 to no avail);

c) which means go with this current FSX-DeLuxe+Acceleration;

If you/they are trying to install SP2 over Acceleration, then yes, it will not work.

Acceleration includes SP2 so there is no need to install SP2 with Acceleration.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks for your reply, the Bean.

Once again I have not expressed myself correctly.

What I tried to convey is that I intend to keep my current FSX-Deluxe Installation and acquire Acceleration to install over it, so that I can get to FSX-Deluxe with SP2 installed (which is what the technicians tried to accomplish and did not work).

The question is how to get Acceleration - Amazon lists three but mentions that it is based on XP????

Several "blogs" mention Acceleration and torrent which I undestand is not be used.

Will be on the market for Acceleration which, thanks to you and il88ppm should be the solution for my "problem" here.

Appreciate your assistance.

Clarindo

1 -My questions are: can I have both FSSteam and FSX installed in the same computer or is this impossible or risky?

It is possible. But if you do not have either one installed now, I wouldn't bother with FSX boxed. Install only the FSX SE version, most if not all of your addons will work with that one too.

2 - To avoid a potential conflict is there a procedure or sequence to followed to avoid or minimize such problem?

Yes there is. FSX boxed MUST be installed first. Only FSX SE is capable of detecting the boxed version and installing in parallel. Doing it the other way around will lead to trouble.

3 - Should FSSteam be installed in a separate HD away from C:\ where FSX is now installed? Or won't this help as probable risks will reside with the common use of Registry?

Steam chooses where it installs the Steam content. By and large, there is not much you can or should do about that. Steam has pretty strict guidelines how programs should be installed, so it can auto-update them.

Steam chooses where it installs the Steam content. By and large, there is not much you can or should do about that. Steam has pretty strict guidelines how programs should be installed, so it can auto-update them.

You can control where Steam installs games by using Steam's library settings. Useful for installing to a second hard drive, or even splitting your Steam library across multiple drives.

Archived