How to create photoreal scenery for FSX

Tiberius K.

There has been a slight change of plans.

After installing a large area over LOWI I applied 10% contrast and it blended well with the scenery however I have 2 layers of mesh and landclass+ vector scenery and GEX and with the stunning season change it blows Photo scenery away!! lol even at LOD16.

So Im going to try more sparse terrain since there is not much autogen. Some where in the middle east perhaps

Um......you're using terms with which l am not familiar. Was all that you descibed good or bad? lol :) If you want you can exclude autogen from your scenery. I had to do that somewhat as I worked my way past the Detroit Michigan area. They were putting industrial autogen in the midst of water bodies and residential neighborhoods. Easy enough to fix.

In a way I kind of miss the default autogen trees and buildings. Too bad we don't have some magic wand that can make them appear where they are really supposed to be, short of placing each one manually. I use Instant Scenery to place objects when I want them, but I can't imagine trying to do a whole state.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very good, they are the 3 layers required to make FSX scenery come alive for Autogen only but they cost $$$$$

Desert mountainous areas like southern California look better with photo scenery due to no autogen/trees etc and I already have MSE SO CAL and its fantastic especially night lighting. I tend to buy photo scenery when its on sale if its where my payware airports are located. eg I just bought Florida and Illinois at half price.

Im going to do Photoscenery where it cant be bought yet but havnt had time in the last few days, hopefully I can start tomorrow

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I don't know if you knew about VERO-FS scenery, but back before they shut down I bought all their California scenery as it was being released. That was before I learned I could make my own. They had some very nice scenery, but had no plans to do anything over in the Great Lakes region. Eventually I found Sim-Savvy, where I got my first scenery for this area. Financial troubles shut them down, but not before I was able to buy several Midwest states. It is in that scenery the lakeshore issues appeared, which led me to my current project, because I just had to "do something" to make the lakeshores much better.

I have just had to switch from using Virtual Earth satellite imagery to using Yahoo instead, while working Upper Michigan. Yahoo has some far better imagery up here. I am not familiar with the MSE name. Where did you get it?

I had never heard of these folks before. I just looked at their Ohio scenery, specifically to get a look at the lakeshore. It appears they do not have the problem of the messed up shoreline like the previous scenery I bought has. Either they found a way to fix it (maybe similar to my method) or else they are getting their imagery from somewhere other then Google Earth, where the shoreline ugliness can be seen if you zoom in closely. They have very nice scenery! But its kind of expensive. $40 for a state. That would add up rather quickly. Still, it is nice to see someone is doing the whole US, instead of just the areas the general public deems "scenic".

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I have a problem with SBuilderX and ADE. SBuilderX works properly after I install it not on program files. But when I type the coordinates, a pop up shows "please check your entries". I don't know what's the right form of coordinates in SBX. Even after I tried to convert improperly (remove all coordinates signs), a full white background shows up. I already installed tile server 1.3.5. Even worse, ADE doesn't run at all, the environment checker shows "ok to run ADE".
Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz, HIS Radeon HD 7850, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Samsung 22" Full HD LED, Win 7 64 Bit,

Hi, first post here. I believe I've read this entire thread, have successfully created photoreal scenery and I love it and I am very appreciative of all of the work put into this tutorial. That said, I don't believe I've seen any mention of night textures/scenery. All I saw regarding night was someone's post of a few screenshots of their work. I've read elsewhere that the most simple method for night textures is just to disable the scenery for night time since you really can't see it anyway. How do I go about doing that? Or if it's simple enough, how do I take the lighting away from my photo scenery. I have Photoshop and a decent understanding of how to use it if that's involved. Also, I imagine you would have to add the night lights to the image? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Guys, I was wondering where to get some help and I guess this looks like the right place to start.

i downloaded photo real scenery of Mexican airports, and they are really good! But the problem with most of them is that when traffic arrives, it lands but then disappears it never makes it to the gates. Also when I arrive and exit the runway tower tells me to contact ground so i can get clearance to taxi and to where... but in some of the photo real scenery it just tells me to taxi to general aviation and it gives me no taxi way names..., could this be because there is no yellow line painted on the taxiway?

• 1 month later...
Guest javacova

i hope this tutorial available at .pdf format or available as step by step and detailed description video tutorial, i know there's a lot videos about "how to create this" but this tuts it's very detailed. it will help any user who's not online for everyday like me, so they can download and save it for offline reading when they forget "a half" part of this tuts.

Regards,

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I can't answer your question directly but perhaps I can help this way. After I started the tutorial I downloaded all the sections and created an HTML master file. I edited the tutorial in some areas in which I had problems. Perhaps the problem you're experiencing was in an area with which I had problems; it sounds familiar. I've uploaded the edited tutorial to Box. Here's the link:

https://app.box.com/s/lk56akahlotdx48c1u73

Hope this helps. I recently re-installed FSX to an SSD and plan to go through the tutorial again so I welcome any comments or suggestions you might make.

Jim F.

Hi oldfun,

Referring to Step 2 of my modified version of the Tutorial: clicking on the "Tile server plugins" hyperlink should bring you to a webpage in which links to various Tile servers are given. Go to the last page and try downloading from the newest link. If there is a problem choose a different link.

Just a heads up: when I went through the tutorial I had to just take a leap of faith and do what it said. After I got further down the line I started to understand what was happening. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to make clarifications to the tutorial. But by the time I finally understood what was going on everything seemed so obvious that I couldn't understand my confusion in the first place. That's why I was looking forward to your experiences so I could make needed clarifications.

Jim F.

Jim F. I am plugging away at it. Your work is helping a lot. My handicap is that I am 74 and Learning is (at my age) a dirty word. But I am so disappointed in the mess that scenery solutions made of this area (Brownsville/South padre Island) where I flew before I lost my medical and now only have FSX that I am determined to learn enough to fix it. BUT If you want to make a few bucks and can do it for me let me know. oldfunflyer@yahoo.com. Again thanks and please don't go away..

Regards

Robert B. Denton

Hi,

Quite a coincidence, I'm 74 also. Difficulty in learning isn't particularly my problem, at least I don't think so, but remembering what I learned yesterday is another story.

Your post prompted me to get going on scenery development again but I ran into a windows problem trying to install any msi file. Took me all day to solve the problem. Just got SBuilder installed but haven't gone past that. I'm not an expert by any means but I'll offer any assistance I can.

Jim F.

I got over some big hurdles and now have my map in my "SPI folder", but the only thing in it is a picture of the map of south padre island.

I think their should be some BGL File/s but do not know Ill work on it today and see if I can get it into addon scenery. Ill post later

Regards

Hi Robert,

I can't answer as I don't recall and haven't restarted the tutorial. But please don't hesitate to ask. When I get into it any questions you have are likely points in my modified tutorial that require attention. And there's always the chance that someone else might be able to help.

I did previously complete the tutorial with satisfactory results. The tutorial's focus is the photoreal background and I was left wondering about how to add autogen scenery and how to use the Autogen Annotator. Considering what your trying to do leads me to suspect that you might end up with similar questions.

Jim

I was able to get a map from virtual sat. was never able to get one off goggle earth. But now when I try to the part where you draw the square and click ok it compiles but when I click view and show background it never goes away. I try to continue but will not. I have to start with new project again . anyway will go back to work on in tomorrow..

Regards