windowed to fullscreen crash problem

Hello folks

My new attempt at trying fsx had started out most promisingly.

However tonight a new problem that wasn't happening in my first few days back trying X

Whilst trying to get a flight going tonight,I have had repeated crashes and restarts when going from windowed to fullscreen mode.

A flight which would have taken ten minutes from setup to takeoff in Fs9 ,has taken the best part of an hour .

Iam finally flying as I type this.

When you do finally get X up and running its a fabulous ,its just getting it there.

Anyways is this windowed to full screen crash a known issue.

Cheers Andy

Greetings Zip

My version is the boxed deluxe .

I did have uiautomationcore.dll installed ,but removed it to see if that had any effect.

Iam up and running at the moment, but whether that had anything to do with removing uicore.DLL is anyone's guess.

PS Windows is 8.1

Iam going to persist with this X retrial ,it is so gorgeous when it works.

Love the moving ships.

Never seen the North sea look so good ,just like the Caribbean.

OK poetic liscense ,but makes me want to jump from the cockpit and have a swim.

Cheers

Andy

The next thing to check on is in your Events Viewer to look for error codes (Faulting Modules) not related to "fawlty towers".

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

Below is just an example of what you will see!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The next thing to check on is in your Events Viewer to look for error codes (Faulting Modules) not related to "fawlty towers".

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.j

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in !troubleshooting.

Below is just an example of what you will see!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Hello Again Zip

I THINK! I have located the problem.

It APPEARS to be a problem with Lee Hetheringtons Tcas gauge.

Two of the DLLs associated with that utility were located in the main FSX folder .

I only added them today ,and that's when the window sizing ctd started.

I removed both,and have been minimising ,maximising adding removing aircraft in an attempt to promote ctding ,but so far fsx is now running without issues.

I looked at event viewer

One of the faulting modules was the tcas gau.

Another was the uiautomationcore.dll (which I actually removed)

Others were unknown

As this is a virtually new installation of X iam hoping I may have sorted the problem (this problem anyway)

I will have to return to Fs9 tomorrow for my fix of trouble free flight.

But I will continue to experiment with X.

Its such a nice Sim when it works.

Cheers Andy

Thanks for your help and time as usual.

..I have had repeated crashes and restarts when going from windowed to fullscreen mode...

When your FSX starts, is it in fullscreen mode?

If it is, why do you switch to windowed mode later and then try to switch back to fullscreen?

My FSX always starts in fullscreen and I never switch to windowed because I can't see any use for it..:)

You get the uiautomationcore error now, because the module that is faulting is uiautomationcore.dll that is built into windows 8

You should put back the uiautomationcore.dll file you removed from FSx. Put it in the main FSX folder, so FSX uses that one when running and does not use the one from windows8.

Do NOT remove the one that is built into win8, ALL your other programs need it.

--------

With the uiautomationcore.dll fix back in place there is a good chance your tcas runs fine. Give it another try.

---

:)If you keep experimenting with FSX (your words), and only take FS2004 seriously it's no wonder fs2004 runs better.;):) You will need to take them both seriously...:)

****Edit ***

adding:

Sorry, smiley's don't really express anything I realise. What I mean is: No disrespect intended. I know you are a long time member and have a lot of joy with fs. And I respect it and like to see you have fun.

And no disrespect to fs2004 either. I see a lot of people have fun with it, saw some great screenshots, and buy a copy if I ever came across one.

I only think that adding uiautomationcore without knowing what it does, and later removing it, hitting and hoping, is not something you would do with your beloved fs2004. FSX is a very stable program that you can get a lot of enjoyment out of.

I can understand you are new at FSX. So it's not surprising that you didn't know all about the fix. Again sorry for being short.

Here's a bit more on it.

The uiautomationcore.dll in the right place (next to your fsx.exe) can't do any harm.

There are two versions of the file for fsx.

One is the old file that used to be built into Windows XP. The other is the old file that used to be built into Windows Vista.

On both those Operating Systems no fix was therefore needed.

But the uiautomationcore.dll that was built into Windows-7 was different, and didn't work with fsx.

So you had to install the older one.

Which one?

That is a matter of trial and error.

If you get uiautomationcore mentioned in the event log, try one of the fixes.

Doesn't work? Still errors?

Then try the other one!

Same goes for Windows-8.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I keep a log on notepad as I add and tweak FSX. I also copy each cfg and rename them in numerical order; 001, 002, 003...and save them to a folder as I add or delete addons.

Additionally, in the 'roaming' folder next to the FSX cfg is a folder labeled 'Controls'. Within that folder is an xml named 'Standard'. This is where your keyboard/yoke/etc assignments are stored. Once you have your assignments set; copy this and save it. Makes the annual FSX reinstall a snap in this area. If for some reason you like different assignments for different AC; saving the 'Standard' xml for each AC is a simple swap when changing.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

When your FSX starts, is it in fullscreen mode?

If it is, why do you switch to windowed mode later and then try to switch back to fullscreen?

My FSX always starts in fullscreen and I never switch to windowed because I can't see any use for it..:)

I start in full screen and sometimes need to go to desktop to grab flight plans, etc

So switch to windowed and back again, but mine doesn't go kaput when I do that.

But anyway, that's why I sometimes switch. My flight plans to all my FSX flights are

linked to from my desktop. Also, sometimes I might need to diddle with ASN.. I often

save wx files and such. I always fly full screen.

By 'definition' perhaps you mean 'resolution'. At any rate, you can drag the sides of the 'window' to almost full screen size, leaving only the top open for the Menu items. The resolution will be the same as full screen. So will the FPS.

Re-sized to almost full screen is 'ok' for flying. I do it all the time when I am going to be switching airplanes or want to look at the map, or even change airports. You do not 'lose' anything when in windowed mode.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Anyways back to my windows crash problem..

Thanks to all who have taken time to help.

I have found the cause ,its definitely the Lee Hetherington tcas utility.

I removed it and the problem disappeared.!?

By the way my version of the UIautomationCore.DLL is 6.0.6001.18000.

I tried rein the the LH TCAS and straight away I got program crash going from windowed to full.

I then removed UIAC.DLL completely and tried again ,the result was the same ie crash.

Iam going to try the other version of UIAC and see what occurs.

Thanks again.

Andy

The tcas could cause cm issue, being an older gauge.

If so, uninstall that.

But the reason to remove the uiautomationcore file would be if you get crashes with it installed.

You did the opposite. You removed it and then got crashes.

I think that means it was working fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Andy,

The cause of your problem with the Lee Hetherington tcas is that it is designed for FS2004 only. Many FS2004 gauges will not work and/or display correctly in FSX. Doing a google search using the phrase tcas utility for FSX will throw up a number of options

Thanks Brian.

To further muddy the waters some 2004 gauges do work without causing problems.

I have Cockpit Commander and power seat by Glenn Copeland both cause no trouble and both were developed for 9.

Anyways iam having an FSX free day today.

I end up hunched over my PC for hours in grim determination trying to solve problems,and end up with bloody awful backache.

So tonight its backto 9 for a fix of trouble free flight,ale, radio ,contentment then sleep.

But! As some steaming great Cyborg said I'LL BE BACK.

Sorting FSX is just another branch of the Sim hobby in itself.

Cheers Andy

The tcas could cause cm issue, being an older gauge.

If so, uninstall that.

But the reason to remove the uiautomationcore file would be if you get crashes with it installed.

You did the opposite. You removed it and then got crashes.

I think that means it was working fine.

Hello

I've tried all variations .

I've tried the TCAS with both versions of uiautomationcore and none.

Result....a crash on windows maximisation/minimisation.

Some Fs9 gauges work with X some don't.

LH TCAS doesn't for me.

I bet someone will now post saying its worked for years with there copy of X ,but heyho That's simming ,not always an exact science.....But we love it.....still.....sometimes.

Andy

Maybe i misunderstood. But i thought you had uiautomationcore installed and no crash.

Then installed tcas and crash.

Then removed uiautomationcore.

You should not have removed uiautomationcore, but you should have removed the tcas instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe i misunderstood. But i thought you had uiautomationcore installed and no crash.

Then installed tcas and crash.

Then removed uiautomationcore.

You should not have removed uiautomationcore, but you should have removed the tcas instead.

OK

Mix up all round.

Anyways I have now removed the tcas guage, and all is well again.

Cheers Andy

Good that you have it solved.

I tried a few tcas gauges long ago, but couldn't get them working and gave up after a while.

One addon had one that worked. The freeware ifly boeing 747. Not an easy plane to fly. But the tcas worked.

I never tried using that tcas in another plane. I use the radar gauge instead. (gauge.zip in the file library).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived