How to request a new approach from ATC

Stanley777

Hi everyone,

I am practicing IFR techniques, and I want to experiment with landing at various runways.

So, if ATC instructs me to land at runway XYZ, but I want to use runway ABC, is there a way that I can request from ATC a different approach? Sometimes I seem to get this option, but other times I don't.

Understand, please, that for what I am trying to do I want to go through ATC and not just land without permission.

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

I could never figure this out. They always tell me to side step when I just want the runway. But that is if you file a flight plan. If you were to approach the airport and they give you a runway, I think you can ask straight away without side step crap to get that runway you request.

Hi CRJ_simpilot,

Thank you for your reply. But what does it mean to "side step"?

Incidentally, out of curiosity, why do you like the CRJ? I like it too, but why not the Boeing 737 or Airbus A321? Actually, one thing that I prefer about the 737 and the A321 is that they seem to fly with their nose pitched up a little bit, so that helps me with the flare when I fly and land. On the other hand, I am still a very bad pilot, so I need all the help that I can get with landing attitude.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

I use RC4 (Radar Contact) which gives you the option to ask for any runway.

Thank you TightGit. But I don't know what that is. How do I get it, please?

Hi CRJ_simpilot,

Thank you for your reply. But what does it mean to "side step"?

Incidentally, out of curiosity, why do you like the CRJ? I like it too, but why not the Boeing 737 or Airbus A321? Actually, one thing that I prefer about the 737 and the A321 is that they seem to fly with their nose pitched up a little bit, so that helps me with the flare when I fly and land. On the other hand, I am still a very bad pilot, so I need all the help that I can get with landing attitude.

Stanley

I'm not exactly clear on how to do a proper side step, and perhaps someone here can shed some light on it. It was disgusted before a year or two ago. From what I gather you fly down the runway above it, make a turn and land on the other runway or something.

I just picked CRJ_Simpilot because I like the small aircraft. I mostly fly the Lear 45. But I have flown the PMDG 737 in FS2004 and I'm now wanting to buy the 737NGX for FSX and I'm reading a manual I got here in the library on the 737NGX. I'm fully capable of flying it, but I know it's not the correct procedures. I do know my way around the 737 FMC though.

Great thing about the smaller aircraft like the Lear 45 is that I can get in and out of all kinds of airports and it flies just as fast as a 737 or Airbus. Well, I push it to mach .81 near overspeed. LOL If it was real life I couldn't do that and would probably be at mach .78 or there abouts.

I need to find myself a nice Global aircraft though.

Mr Zippy: Thank you for the link about sidestepping.

CRJ_simpilot: I also like to fly the Learjet. It is my favorite jet, because it is fast and maneuverable.

Stanley

Archived