Windows 10 - FSX question

mcarvela

Just got a new Alienware which is running Windows 10 Home. Does anyone know where FSx.CFG went. I went into c:/users and things are somewhat different. Also, the gauges on my CaptainSim 727 aren't showing up and the fuselage of my CS 707 are invisible. So I wanted to see if somehow DX10 preview was checked but can't find that either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Could it be the same as Win 7?

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

DX10 Preview should be in your FSX/Settings?customized/Graphcs area sitting on top of Lens Flare and Light Bloom.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Zippy

Yes, that's what I thought also. Unfortunately after my name, there is no AppData and showing hidden files isn't as easy as it was in Win 7. Still working on that one. As far as the DX10 preview, also no joy as in the graphics area, the only thing above lens flare is a button to restore defaults. Win10 seems to have screwed things up a bit. Thanks Microsoft. So back to the drawing board. Thanks anyway Zippy.

Mike

OK, found the hidden folders. A bit convoluted compared to Win 7. If anyone needs, double click This PC, then view and check hidden items. But still looking for DX10 preview. That's why I wanted to see the FSX.CFG. Still looking through the .cfg for DX10. It's got to be somewhere. :)

OK, found the hidden folders. A bit convoluted compared to Win 7. If anyone needs, double click This PC, then view and check hidden items. But still looking for DX10 preview. That's why I wanted to see the FSX.CFG. Still looking through the .cfg for DX10. It's got to be somewhere. :)

Are you using Acceleration? If not, do you have SP1 and SP2 installed? Very much needed for DX10 to show.

The easiest place to find whether DX10 preview is selected is via the FSX settings pages.

On the Graphics tab (located on the Display Setting page) there is an entry on the right hand side in a section titled Global Options which has is a series of tick boxes - Preview DX10 is the top one - if ticked it is on, if unticked it is off....................

Regards

Brian

On the Graphics tab (located on the Display Setting page) there is an entry on the right hand side in a section titled Global Options which has is a series of tick boxes - Preview DX10 is the top one - if ticked it is on, if unticked it is off....................

Yo, Brian! I had him look there and he had no box to check or uncheck. That's why I asked about Acceleration or SPs being installed.

Actually, IIRC FSX out of the box had the DX10 preview option. No matter, I don't have the SP's installed as SP1 gave me an error. Still trying but it's beginning to look like a long and friendly relationship with MSFS is coming to an end. I've been simming since FS2 bot Win10 has me stumped. I've been learning XPlane10 and, except for the lackluster scenery, am beginning to understand and enjoy it. So, Bill Gates, this might be it.

Actually, IIRC FSX out of the box had the DX10 preview option. No matter, I don't have the SP's installed as SP1 gave me an error. Still trying but it's beginning to look like a long and friendly relationship with MSFS is coming to an end. I've been simming since FS2 bot Win10 has me stumped. I've been learning XPlane10 and, except for the lackluster scenery, am beginning to understand and enjoy it. So, Bill Gates, this might be it.

The DirectX preview was added in SP2/Acceleration.

OK, so that's not the problem. If it was added in SP2, I can't be running in DX10 so that 's not why I can't see the 707 fuselage. FSX installed, uninstalled and installed again. Same result, it won't accept SP1. So it looks like X-Plane 10, here I come. Thanks anyway, guys.

Mike

I use a little desktop search engine called 'Everything', from voidtools.

You just start typing & it finds 'everything'for you.

Bill Gates bashing again? You obviously know that Gates stepped down as chief executive officer of Microsoft in January 2000. He remained as chairman and created the position of chief software architect for himself.[12] In June 2006, Gates announced that he would be transitioning from full-time work at Microsoft to part-time work, and full-time work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.[13] He gradually transferred his duties to Ray Ozzie and Craig Mundie.[14] He stepped down as chairman of Microsoft in February 2014, taking on a new post as technology adviser to support the then newly appointed CEO Satya Nadella.

And I'm sure he does not realy care if anyone stops playing an 11 year old long discontinued game.

Just saying!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived