Feedback while learning and making mistakes

Reif

I'm entirely new to flying. My goal is to learn the technical side, and have a true understanding of all steps from cold start to landing.

Of course I am no where close to this, and I'm worried am not getting the feedback to remind me when I make a mistake.

Besides reading books and staying mindful of checklists, how can I ensure I am not overlooking necessary steps? (Getting punished for making mistakes)

* A side note, I am using FSX as I've owned it for a long time, but as I invest in this hobby I am chosing P3D for the logevity and support. I plan to grab P3D and a pmdg 737 in the coming week.

Besides reading books and staying mindful of checklists, how can I ensure I am not overlooking necessary steps?

That's why in the real world you need a flight instructor to guide you as you build the right habits (takes time) to minimize the problem.

Perhaps you can start with very detailed checklists and, since you can pause in FS, pause every little bit (just to start with) to check that you've done things right. Try using the lessons in FSX -- it might just help.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

The correct approach is EXACTLY the same as in the real world - build up your skills and expertise gradually, adding new elements as you go.

Ironically, P3D would have you do things the exact opposite way - loading a default F22 is hardly conducive to teaching ab intio beginners the basics. But this is probably a sop to professional flight training companies who use Prepar3d as an actual training platform, and Lockheed-Martin doesn't want to rain on their parade.

The Lessons in FSX are a very useful training aide as they are designed to work with the sim, not real world. THAT will get you started.There are a number of websites and tols that are expressly able to assist with that, and even highlight variances with the real world:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

is one

Once you arrive at P3D with a modicum of knowledge then the next thing to do is add the level of sophistication you are looking for - aircraft with consequences for failing to observe the checklist, more sophisticated systems simulation and better realism in general. The addon market caters to that.

Tip: As you consider transitioning to this sim from FSX, I would also suggest getting to your local airfield and getting a 1-hour trial flight. No point in doing that until you have some knowledge of that `this` switch does and why `that` knob is being turned now, but it will be the single most important step you will ever take with flight simulation, as it will actually give you a basis for comparison.

THEN switch to P3D.

Great advice - also - learn on a simple aircraft before you waste time and money on the PMDG. Once you have the basics down and you have a decent understanding of the principles of flight, weather, etc - THEN get the PMDG.

No one IRL learns on a 747 first.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

All of that makes perfect sense. I'll wait on the 737, walk before I run and all. Navfltsm seems a great source, what other sources are there that are similar?

You mentioned learning on aircraft "with consequences." The Cessna from fsx and navfltsm seems a good start, albeit simplied versions. Do you have suggestions for a high quality aircraft that can bridge the gap between the barebones tutorial Censsa and pmdg? I was looking at the A2A 180 Cherokee, It seems a good starter with room to grow and more modern than the Microsoft tech.

Thank you all for the advice, definitely adjusting my approach.

All of that makes perfect sense. I'll wait in the pmdg and migrate to p3e simultaneously, until then I'll stick to simulator agnostic addons.

Navfltsm seems a great source, what others are there that are similar?

You mentioned learning on aircraft "with consequences." The Cessna from fsx and navfltsm seems a good start, albeit simplied versions of the plam3. Do you have suggestions that can bridge the gap between the barebones tutorial Censsa and pmdg? Something with room to grow into and slowly learn of it's capabilities but more modern than the Microsoft tech?

Thank you all for the advice, definitely adjusting my approach.

A2A do a range of aircraft with Accusim - including a much better 172, a 182, Cherokee and Comanche as well as warbirds and vintage airliners. They are far closer to the realities of everyday operation of GA craft where things can and do go wrong, where maintenance and observation are key to a long and happy life - and even persistent damage modelling where if YOU don't fix it, it stays broke.

DO NOT buy these until you are ready, for the same reason as PMDG. That level of sophistication will be wasted until you have a modicum of skill and knowledge and you want to buy it only for the sim you end up with - unless you want to stump up the extra for the dual-sim licence.

Another recommendation from me is for the Digital Aviation Katana X, from Aerosoft -

http://www.aerosoft.com/en/FSXP3D/Flight-Simulator-X/Aircraft/1717/Diamond-DA20-100-Katana-4X

you could even use that as your step-up plane in FSX as it has a raft of background information that relate to operation and maintenance in a similar way, but different manner to A2A and Accusim. Although it is specifically for FSX it can be made to work perfectly well in P3D.

Alright, working my way through all of the lesson material and am about to order some pedals (auto rudder seems a bit wrong).

I picked up the DA20-100 and since AS16 is on sale and not sim agnostic, P3D to go along with it (haven't booted it yet, not quite ready).

Ill take another look at A2A and PMDG in a month or two if I think I will get anything out of it then.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived