Wing view, airspeed, ATC voice, call outs...?

Trancer365

Hi all. I have a few questions (FSX):

- Why do I get "overspeed" warning as soon as a plane (commercial jets) reaches about 350 knots? If a knot is about 1.15 miles, and jets travel at close to 600 MPH in the real world, which is well over 350 knots, why am I getting this warning in FSX? Changing the airspeed (Indicated / True) in the aircraft realism setting (I think), doesn't do anything and the numbers stay the same.

- Is there any way to add callouts/GPWS and other warnings (like "bank angle", "too low"...) to addon planes that don't come with them? KLM B767 free addon (by Posky, I think) comes with these, while most other addon planes don't have them.

- Is there any way to add wing views to addon planes that don't come with them? Wondering why no 767s come with wing views, while almost all Airbuses come with them.

-Is there any way to replace the default ATC voices? They sound too robotic and hard to understand.

Thank you.

About the airspeed - planes reach 600mph only at the cruise altitude, and they use Mach numbers to measure speeds when as high as FL320 or above, which is the Cruise Altitude where they usually reach such a speed.

There are a couple GPWS gauges that can be added to just about any aircraft. You should find some by googling "GPWS for FSX", Avsim as well as Flightsim and FlyAwaySimulations.

http://rs258.pbsrc.com/albums/hh250/henrysb/avatar_11769.gif~c200

The "600" MPH/Knots are NOT KIAS (Knots indicated) but GROUND SPEED. When at cruise altitude, and flying at MACH, you may notice the airspeed indicator actually dropping down to around 250-275 Knots while your ground speed increases. Wind speed and direction will play heavily in your ground speed.

There is an overspeed indicator, I call the "barber pole" on the airspeed gauge that if you go beyond, kiss your fanny goodbye!

Look around in the File Library or Google search for GPWS callouts. There are also payware products out there for ATC replacement.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The "600" MPH/Knots are NOT KIAS (Knots indicated) but GROUND SPEED.

Actually, it is KTAS, Knots True AirSpeed. Groundspeed is strongly affected by winds, while TAS is relative to the surrounding air, and is all the aircraft actually "knows" about.

The actual reason for the disparity is that IAS (Indicated AS) is pressure dependent, since the indicator is nothing but an instrument that reads the air pressure coming in to the pitot tube, and is calibrated in knots. That instrument actually does match TAS at sea level under standard conditions, that is, 29.92" Hg, 59º F (or 15ºC), and 0% humidity. But any variation from those conditions means that IAS no longer matches TAS. Less dense air (higher temperature, higher altitude, more humidity, lower barometer) means that the indicator will read less than actual speed. By the same token, increased air pressure (reversal of above conditions) means it will indicate faster than TAS.

So back to the OP question, the drastically reduced pressure at jet altitudes means that the airspeed indicator "sees" less pressure for a given speed, therefore you're going a lot faster than indicated, losing roughly 2% per thousand feet under standard conditions (the "standard" temp drops 3.5º F per thousand feet), and the barometer at 18,000 feet reads about half the pressure that it does at sea level.

Also note that (and this is why mach is used at high altitudes) there are two different sets of limiting speeds for jets (all aircraft, actually), one set in IAS and one in TAS. The set in IAS are basically pressure related and the one in TAS is largely relative to the effects from getting too close to the speed of sound (mach 1), which is much lower at higher altitudes.

So that 2%/1000 ft (it's actually less than that) would say that the 350 kts IAS when you're at 35,000 feet will true out at about 595 knots TAS, which is actually somewhat beyond the (roughly) 573 knot (660 mph) speed of sound at 35,000. So if the limiting mach for your aircraft is .85 (that is, 85% of the speed of sound), then .85 * 573 = 487 KTAS, with KIAS obviously being much less at about 278.

The above figures are all very rough, not figuring actual temps and barometers (altimeter settings) and humidities, but will be in the right ballpark.

It's actually more complex than I've described, but this should give you the general idea.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try and see if I get this warning at higher altitudes, although I remember this warning hardly goes away. But I still think there's something wrong (with the speed) here. For example, I set the autopilot to go to an altitude of 32,000 ft and I set the speed at 300 knots, I also set the climb rate at say 1000-1200 fpm. What happens is that the plane starts stalling, stalling even though it was flying at about 300 knots !!! This doesn't sound right but I get this problem often and with most planes (Airbus or Boeing) with the exception of one Airbus 321 and a DC-10. Oh, and this 321 flies at 500 knots with no "overspeed" warning even at low altitudes.

The other thing that I can't understand is why almost all of the A319 (the ones in the Mega pack) are gutless at takeoff. These things barely want to move on the runway when the throttle is fully opened and when they take off they almost want to stall even though I have the AOA set correctly (or I manually keep the nose at about 10-15 deg.). The speed starts dropping to around 150 or less if I barely raise the nose a little. This can't be right. It's almost like the speed being shown (190 knots for example) is not the correct speed or otherwise they wouldn't start to stall. One other thing, especially in these planes I can't seem to be able to get them to reach 300 knots manually or through the autopilot if they're slightly pitched up. I know these planes aren't weak (in the real world) and can climb at much sharper angles and not lose speed like that. I don't know, either there's an error in game itself or it's in some of these planes.

Stop using KIAS at the higher altitudes! Use MACH instead. Be sure to have your Pitot Tube Heat on. This is very important cuz it's colder than a titche's witty up there!

I have an A-319 that was part of a Megapackage download and it takes off like a bat outta Hades. Gotta keep 'er thrust-levered down a tad on takeoff. (Ha,Ha. You thought I was gonna say throttled down!) Jets ain't got throttles. ;)

Keep a watch on that indicator for max airspeed (might look like a barberpole or red line) It tends to drop to a lower KIAS setting the higher in altitude you go!

What happens is that the plane starts stalling, stalling even though it was flying at about 300 knots !!!

That's not Indicated airspeed -- you must have your indicator set to TAS, or else you're looking at GROUNDspeed, which is irrelevant to the stall. The aircraft stalls relative to Indicated Airspeed.

Also, an aircraft has less power at altitude. But don't use TAS.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm sure the pitot sensor is on. I have just about everything automated (easy mode, if I could say that, I mean I don't go by the check list or anything...).

I have tried switching from IAS to TAS (in the aircraft realism settings) but the speed doesnt change (I have the info by pressing "Shift+Z". However, I noticed that on the display (the panels) it does change between IAS and TAS. So, not sure why the readings at the top of the screen don't change. I mostly watch the numbers at the top of the screen more than I do on the panels. It's a little easier.

I don't know but it seems some of the A319s in that megapack are slower and weaker than others. I have other A319s (downloaded individually) that act totally different (lots of power at takeoff or at high altitudes) despite having the same engine type. Like I said, some tend to want to stall after taking off if I raise the nose even slightly ( I mean like more than 10 degrees).

Anyway, it's not that big of a deal even though I kind of find it annoying sometimes with the weak/er planes. Strangely, I have the opposite problem with planes like the DC-10 that doesn't seem to want to slow down even during a steep takeoff until I have moved the thrust -yeah I don't know why I called it "throttle" - levers almost all the way back.

I'm still wondering if there's a way to add wing views to addon planes that don't come with wing views.

Thanks.

Starting at this download passenger_wing_view_v20.zip and plenty more if you scroll down the page. You didn't mention if you wanted "Passenger" or "pilot's" wing-view, but If you search, I'm sure you will come up with something.

Thanks for the reply, mrzippy. I meant just like the wing view that you get with the default (fsx) planes. Some of the free addon planes don't come with any wing views at all. It doesn't really matter if it's passenger or pilot wing view as long as it shows some wings. It seems those addon wing views (in the link) can only be used with planes that already come with wing views, but I'm not too sure.

Archived