CDI needle on the wrong side.

bgets

I have been flying Flight Simulator since 1984 (yes, I am old) and FSX since it came out in 2006. My problem is that when I am vectored to a ILS approach to KSFO the CDI needle is on the wrong side for the approach. I have tried updating the navaid base with no difference. It happens on all runways at KSFO that have an ILS approach. All other airports work fine. I am using MTX 6.0 and have made the blg. for KSFO passive and that didn't work either.

I recently updated my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Other than that I don't have any add-on aircraft.

The photo shows the needle on the side the runway is on. In this case 19L. It should be on the right side to intercept the runway.

Appreciate any ideas.

Bob G.

snap004.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

Sorry Zip. I meant 19L. It does the same thing for 28L and 28R. The photo was taken after I had passed the runway and I was going to try to head back to the runway heading of 193. The needle should be to the right not the left to intercept the signal.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

Looks right to me. From what I see you're heading South and you're to the West of the airport (I'm assuming that's it off to the left of your nose). In that case you're roughly on runway heading and the runway is way off to the left of your present track. So you need to turn left to intercept the 19L localiser.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Forget the photo. Maybe this will explain it better. I was on a heading of 330 to the east of KSFO. I was told to turn left to 285 and descend to 8,000 feet. Then ATC instructed me to turn to 225 and descend and maintain 2,900 feet until I intercept the localizer. That would mean the CDI needle would be to the right of runway heading. Once the needle would start to move you would normally select the approach button and follow it in. You can't intercept the needle if it is to the left of the runway heading. You would never intercept it.

The instructions are correct. You normally want to be on a heading approximately 30 degrees of the runway heading in this case 193.

The question isn't how to do a ILS landing, the question is, why does it happen only at KSFO? It has worked fine in the past. Could a Windows update create the problem?

This could be due to the fact that all default ILS in FSX have Back Course enabled and that is the signal you are receiving.

This usually sorts itself out before you get to the localizer.

You could try re-tuning the NAV radio as you approach the feathers as seen on the GPS.

As for "it only happens at KSFO", I am sorry to inform you this "feature" has been around longer than FSX and happens all over the place.

You have only witnessed it at KSFO.

Hope this helps.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Forget the photo. Maybe this will explain it better. I was on a heading of 330 to the east of KSFO. I was told to turn left to 285 and descend to 8,000 feet. Then ATC instructed me to turn to 225 and descend and maintain 2,900 feet until I intercept the localizer. That would mean the CDI needle would be to the right of runway heading. Once the needle would start to move you would normally select the approach button and follow it in. You can't intercept the needle if it is to the left of the runway heading. You would never intercept it.

The instructions are correct. You normally want to be on a heading approximately 30 degrees of the runway heading in this case 193.

You were east of the field on a 330º, turned to 285º (presumably now northeast of the field), then turned to 225º, then overshot to get the screenshot? And this turning was while you were northeast of the field? Thus the needle was to the left both before and after crossing the extended runway path while on a 225º heading? So still you're well north of the field as you cross the extended runway path?

Pardon the repetition and questions, but I'm trying to get the picture in my head.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Bean is correct. It does happen at other airports every once and awhile. It happens when using any of the default aircraft also, but not all the time like KSFO.

This is how the needle should be. Approach to 25L at KPHX which is off to my left.

pic.jpg

Archived