Locating a rogue .bgl file?

Qballbandit

Good morning,

Roughly 10 years back, I added some extra scenery to an airport using EZ Scenery. Currently, I'd like to delete the objects I placed, and load up a different freeware upgrade to that airport instead.

I have searched in my Addon Scenery folder, Addon Scenery/Scenery folder, and Scenery folder, and can not locate the .bgl file with my additions (searching via EZ Scenery while open in FS9). Nothing with the airport name, code, anything logical.

I looked in AFCAD, and it only pulls up the default airport, so no other freeware/payware version exists.

Is there another way to locate this .bgl file which I created somewhere in the past, but can't find?

My assumption is that I was sloppy, and saved my changes in a completely incorrect/different .bgl, thus making it very difficult to reconcile.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Neil :cool:

If the objects aren't in the actual airport scenery folder, maybe there's an EZ Scenery folder in your Addon Scenery folder? Or a Rwy12 or other Scenery Library folder? One of these may have been the default "save" location at the time. Look for the file "Date modified" timestamp rather than a file Name and filter out the most likely suspects till you find the one you want.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

.. or, if that doesn't work, delete entries directly from the scenery.cfg file (backed up first, obviously). It's easier to edit the cfg file directly than unticking boxes in the FS9 scenery library interface: start with deleting 50% of the folder entries, then if, after saving the cfg file and running FS9 at the airport in question, the objects are still there, continue, deleting 50% of the remainder, until the objects disappear. Then add groups of folders back until the folder containing the bgl file is located. Then do the same kind of thing with the bgl files themselves - move half of them to a separate folder initially, then another group, checking the effect in the sim each time, until the bgl files are found. If you're lucky, you'll recall the file name you gave when you locate the folder in which they reside...

I use this method for locating rogue bgl files which cause CTDs and so on. Annoying to have to restart FS9 every time, but I have a special FS9/Aircraft folder which I use instead of my normal one (which contains hundreds of folder and even more AI traffic folders, so takes for ever to load into FS9). If, before starting FS9, you rename the Aircraft folder to 'AircraftXXX' or whatever and use the 'lite' version (which should just contain a copy of the default Cessna 172 folder) you won't have to wait long at all for FS9 to load up each time.

Remember to reinstate the full scenery.cfg file when you've finished of course!

Have fun!

tiger,

Yep, thought of that. Pretty much have "eyeballed" every folder with no luck - yet.

martin,

Good idea on the "lite" version for aircraft. I dread the "seek-and-find" drill, but fear I may have to do just that in the long run.

Thanks guys for your replies, I appreciate them. :)

A bit off-topic, but there is also a utility (I think its available here?) that will remove 3DO objects in a BGL file, based on the name of a texture or .R8 file. I can't recall the name but Tiger or Zippy probably do. :)

BGL tools like EZScenery can cause problems if you don't manually install the BGL file and textures in the sim. The actual BGL file could be anywhere on your HD, including your Windows Temp folder in both the regular Windows registry and "X86" compatibility folders.

One thing you could try (this is like dropping something on a carpet by accident and then dropping something similar to find the first object) is to create a small BGL in EZScenery and give it a unigue name so its easier to search for it. Pay attention to auto save locations as the program runs and then check your scenery.cfg for the BGL's actual location. This should give you some clues as to where EZScenery auto installs your files.

Bob, thanks. Another worthwhile idea I'll try out.

Though if I recall, you are asked where to save the .bgl after dropping the first object.

The last few times I was laying scenery with it, it was the prior project folder by default, unless you change it - meaning, your current save just piggybacked onto the wrong .bgl file if you forget to change it.

Remember that no bgl file will be active unless the address appears in the scenery.cfg file, so that's the quickest place to look for 'non-standard' installation folders. Should only take a few minutes to verify.

Not entirely true. If the BGLs are in the world scenery or some other already active directry, then it won't be listed at all in scenery.cfg.

OP, if you know any kind of text that exists in the BGL, the program Fileseek might be able to locate it.

Archived