ATC Questions

Mac6737

I'm embarrassed to say I've been dabbling in FS since FS 2.0 on my Apple II-C in 1988, but have only recently tried to learn to use the ATC system. It's not going well. I've read the learning center stuff and done a few missions, but the following two issues are at the top of my list of problems:

1. Is it true there is no way to contact a tower unless the ATC window gives you that option? This seems odd. Let's say you're heading for a hub like KORD in a big jet; push "Nearest airports" in the ATC window, and you're likely to get a list of the 10 nearest cow pastures. It seems to me you are dangerously close to the destination before the ATC window shows it. Am I doing something wrong?

2. I have never been able to find the indicator on the panel for the ILS path. I tune my NAV to the ILS frequency and pick up the appropriate audio in Morse code, but I can't find anything on the panel to show me where I am in relation to the ILS signal, not in any FSX plane, resident or add-on. Yes, the flight director is on. Is that where the indicator should be? Or somewhere else?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

For 1.

Interesting you bring that up, I've wondered the same thing and think maybe if you have the desired towers radio frequency and manually enter it into the COM radio. Never tried it though.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I'll see if I can help out! Usually there is no way to contact tower unless it's shown in the ATC window. I do agree that "Nearest Airports" kinda waits until the last moment to show your desired airport, but I guess That's life!

Now when you speak of the ILS indicator are you actually meaning the Glideslope indicators that show up on the PFD, the diamonds that show if you are below or above glideslope and left or right? Check out your GPS and look for the green lines that indicate the Glideslope as your aircraft picks up the Localizer and starts your turn towards the runway.

Notice the parallel green lines to the right of the white aircraft. These are the glideslope indicators for the runways.

GPS.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

1. Heading into any airfield in a big jet you are supposed to be on an ATC controlled flight plan, from clearance to final parking position. ATC will then hand you off to the next correct station automatically.

2. Where the ILS indicators show up depends on your aircraft. Primary flight instruments is the obvious place, artificial horizon, HSI, etc. Indicators usually are small diamonds on a vertical and a horizontal line (below and to the right).

Archived