Files all downloading as Zip files

zapilot

Hi..

Not sure if this is the right place. My download files are showing as Zipped files..even if they're .CAB files etc. I know it's a general PC Q .But I only DL FS stuff anyway...Here's an example: Untitled.jpg

It's really frustrating. Tried checking generally..But no joy..Any help or advice will be appreciated...

Thanks

ZA

If you use a program such as WinZip to open zipped files, open that program's settings, options or preferences window and select only the file types you want that program to open.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It looks like the icon for .Cab file has changed on your pc. There are ways to fix that. Google for

changing icon

progs for that are available. Can maybe do it from within Windows too.

You'll have to figure out the original icon for .Cab files too.

(I looked on my pc, but I can't find it in the file properties for some reason.)

----------------

You can possibly fix it by installing a program that opens .Cab files. Such as 7zip.

(Not sure on that, but worth a try. (quick fix if it works.)).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unless you're trying to open them and edit them, there is absolutely no need for you to worry about the default program associated. This probably happened when you were installing WinZip and when it asked for preferences, you selected *.cab to opened with WinZip. As I mentioned above, you need not worry about it.
http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

I know they're downloaded as zip files..These are CAB files that appear as zip files (within a normal unzipped file) This the problem...:(

This is due to files being automatically associated with programs which you don't want them to be "associated with" - or "opened by" in plain English. Please read this MS article on how to change file associations, I hope this will help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18539/windows-7-change-default-programs

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The ZIP icon is used for both zipped FOLDERS and compressed '*.cab' FILEs. This only indicates that they 'open' with WinZip (or 7Zip) programs (and not other programs).

Inside the panel folder you will find '*.cab' files. The icon for '*.cab' files is also the icon for any Zipped file. Inside the '*.cab' 'package' you will have files with extension of 'xml', 'bmp', etc and they are 'called' DIRECTLY by panel.cfg. No need to un-zip.

So there is nothing 'wrong' with that. Here is pic showing file type inside a '*.cab' file.

Chuck B

Napamule

Cab Icon_Cab Content.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Those look like the 7Zip icons, il. I use it myself, and have for a long time. I gave up on WinZip a long time ago.

Anyway, when you install 7Zip, it asks for what kind of files you want it to associate with. If you leave it to it's default settings, those are the icons it assigns to those particular files.

Not super helpful, but there it is. And pretty short for me. I must need more coffee.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Those look like the 7Zip icons, il. I use it myself, and have for a long time. I gave up on WinZip a long time ago.

Anyway, when you install 7Zip, it asks for what kind of files you want it to associate with. If you leave it to it's default settings, those are the icons it assigns to those particular files.

Not super helpful, but there it is. And pretty short for me. I must need more coffee.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

+1 for 7Zip;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Yep. I use registered WinZip on Win 7 64 bit Pro. So that's why the icons are different. And WinZip works good for me. Always has (since Win 95, then Win 3.1, etc).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've been using PowerArchiver for a few years now, which opens all types of archives. It's icons are all the same, a folder in a clamp with three large letters across the folder: ZIP, RAR, CAB, ISO or whatever, it opens them all just the same.

To the OP:

Many of the panels that include a .cab file tell you (in their readme) to move them

directly to your gauges folder without unzipping. AFAIK this applies to all .cab files

so you don't need to do anything to them.

And I have used winzip forever and never had any issues (even spanned files that

are common in MSTS routes, for us trainsimmers!)

Mike

• 1 month later...

I had something similar as the OP happening just now.

My icons for .cab files had turned blank (white 'page' icon, not textfile.)

I thought, let's try reinstalling 7Zip

that didn't fix it.

I fixed it. Steps were:

Right click a gauge (cab file)

select "open" ("open with" was not there).

then a message:

"no program assigned for opening these type of files, look on web/choose from avail progs on computer".

I selected "choose from avail progs on computer"

Then a list opened, selected was "Windows Explorer"

I opened the drop-down list (small arrow on the right)

several programs available.

I chose 7zip, and got the 7zip icon for the .cab files.

not what I wanted.

I repeated the steps, and chose another program. Still not the right icon.

I wanted the Icon back I showed you earlier.

Then I thought, Explorer was originally selected. But maybe not 'correctly'

I repeated the selection, and this time chose "Windows Explorer as default program.

Got it, Icon is back.

(this one)

-------------

cab:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]193119[/ATTACH]

large:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]193122[/ATTACH]

----------

Happy days!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived