FSPassengers X, When landing, my tires always blow!

farhan3201

Hi, I recently got FSPassengers for FSX, and it is awesome, I love it. I always fly without too much of a problem, and when I fly, the least passenger satisfaction I would get would be maybe around 95% or 94%, but only because of turbulence, and sometimes when turning off Autopilot, my plane's nose shoots up or down because I'm using keyboard, so the nose is never truly centered, which is stupid, and I have excess g-force, and that lowers the satisfaction, which is sad, but anyway that isn't the main problem (it is a problem for me, but it isn't as bad as what I'm gonna tell you). The main problem is that whenever I try to land, I always, I repeat, ALWAYS, blow my tires, and that brings the satisfaction down to average 30% 40%! I don't want that! How do I stop this, I try it with the Cessna SP172 and it always blows, and bigger aircraft, for sure! Please give me some tips on how to stop blowing tires, or completely disable it. Flying tips are greatly appreciated! And to let you know, I do not have the latest update, the one I have is years old. It's because I'm on Windows XP 32-bit, and the developer apparently decided to cut WinXP 32-bit from the latest update. I have the old demo from a website, with it legitimately activated, meaning I payed for it. And I can't disable tire blow in the More Options file, because the version I have doesn't have that feature. Please help, and if you have a more updated version link that still runs on XP 32-bit, please send it to me!

Thank you,

farhan3201/Shawki

I don't know anything about that software, but I'd expect that tires consistently blowing would indicate hitting the ground way too hard, perhaps with brakes locked. You should stop your descent a foot or so above the ground, then ease the aircraft the rest of the way down.

If that's not the problem, then someone else will have to jump in here.

BTW, you'd probably find it a lot easier to control that descent with a joystick, even a cheap one.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I definitely agree about the joystick, but I'm broke, so the joystick's out of the question, which sucks, I know. But anyway, the brakes aren't locked in, but about the descent, should my nose be level, and I use my throttle to control descent rate, or should I point the nose down, and how much Vertical Speed? Thanks!

Yes, once you get your attitude set, use the throttle to control descent rate. Normal glideslopes are about 3-500FPM.

Having said that, just as you cross the threshold, you should be at about 20' off the runway surface. Cut the throttles, and start pulling up a LITTLE bit, to try and hold the bird off the ground as long as you can. You will float down the runway some in the ground effect. This is known as flaring out. You will settle SLOWLY down as speed bleeds off until you touch down, ever so gently. Don't yank the nose way up, just slowly lift it as speed bleeds down to try and hold it off the ground a few, very few, feet.

Airliners aren't Navy birds. They aren't made to land like a Navy plane. Those are made to fly all the way down to the runway (or ship's deck) at a constant 700 fpm. Makes sure they don't float over the wires, but hit the deck just as the tailhook grabs a wire. They float, they could encounter what's called an "in-flight engagement", where the tailhook catches an arresting cable with the wheels off the deck. Very, very hard on planes, pilots, deck crews, etc etc. There's even a rumor that Navy pilots are told from day 1 of flight school that if they flare, they will be court-martialed :)

Exactly the opposite of regular, civilian pilots, who are trained from day 1 to flare to land. Much easier on planes. Especially planes that don't have the beefed up gear and airframes that military planes do. Like say, Airliners, for example :D

SO, try flaring out when you land. Bet you save tires, and have some very happy (more happier??) passengers.

Good luck, and have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thank you so much for the detailed response, PhantomTweak, but say I was in the Cessna SP172. How much high should I bring my pitch on the attitude indicator to flare? I have tried it multiple times before, and it ends up with either A) a stall, making me lose points in FSPassengers, B) I still burst my tires, or C) I continue on floating over the runway, and I pass the limits, floating to my inevitable death. And I feel like I'm always too high, so I pitch down, and freak out and pull up (too hard, especially because I don't have a joystick, I use keyboard, and I overshoot my desired pitch by a mile, leading to a stall. Another thing I would like to inform you is that I'm also using EZdok, so does that have to do something with my tire explosions, because the camera shakes a lot when landing.

Why not try actually learning how to fly the 172 using the included lessons? Also, it's going to take a lot of practice (especially with a keyboard) to get the timing right for inputs.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Once you'v cut the throttle, low down to the runway, not very high, say 5-10' up, the nose will want to drop. Just use very, very light inputs. One or two key-taps at a time. You'll come down as the speed bleeds off. You are at full flaps, yes? They have plenty of drag to slow you once the throttle is at idle.

A trick you can try to practise it without dieing, is to go up to say 5000' AGL, configure for landing, and try to land at exactly 4000'. Imagine THAT is your "hard-deck". The lowest you permit the plane to go. You won't get the ground effect, but you will be able to practice everything else, including trying to make the plane do a level, power-off stall at exactly 4000'. Not 4002, not 3008, 4000' ONLY. Recover from the stall, and go up and do it again. Then try a landing. Try to make it so that you don't even notice the tires touching down. GENTLY is the key here.

And all the others are 100% correct. Get a joystick, or you will give yourself fits trying to make very small control inputs.

By the way, in the 172, you don't need to flare more than a few degrees. Say 4-5.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

One other point; judging by some of your comments, you might be going too fast on approach. In a C-172 you'll want to be around 65 knots coming down final, and "over the fence" you'll be slowing some more, until the aircraft touches. If you try to plant it on, you'll likely lose control or damage the aircraft. All aircraft have to be at or near the proper approach speed for a decent landing. Proper approach speed is generally considered to be around 1.3 times Vso (landing configuration stall speed)

And if you're staring at the panel, you'll have trouble with landings -- you need to be looking out the window, with maybe an occasional glance at the airspeed or altimeter. It takes time and practice to do consistently good landings. If you were doing OK in the lessons, then there's something that you changed when doing landings on your own.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Keep your focus on the far end of the runway and not on the landing threshold. Unless you are a fantastic touch-typist, flying with a keyboard is a tough cookie. I almost deleted FSX until I had the brilliant idea to look for an inexpensive joystick. It makes all the difference!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

your tires always blows because your landing too hard, this is like in the real world, you can't land your tires hard because they will blow you need to flair properly when your landing tires touch down.

or else you will blow the tires or brake the Axle or something..

this is made to be as real as possible and if you was really flying and landing this is what would really happen..

you can't let the AP auto pilot land your plane you have to switch off the approach and land it manually..

when you turn off autopilot yes the plane will some times point the nose in the air or down because the autopilot was taking care of the controls for you but you have to correct it when you turn off the autopilot..

then you need to know how to actually land and when your in the correct position flair just before your tires touch down to make your tires touch down lightly and not slam into the pavement..

that is why there is move called flair, you pull back on your yoke to increase lift but not so much to make the plane stay in the air.

So when you flair it will just touch down but not so hard, that is what landing is a controlled stall your plane is just at the brink of stalling but not in full stall but comes down to the ground very slowly enough to land but not crash into the ground..

Archived