Sunrise, sunset times

Mac6737

I had always assumed that FSX times for sunrises, sunsets, moon phases, etc. reflected the real world. Is this wrong? I just loaded a dawn flight from Cenakkale, Turkey (on the Dardanelles, not far from Istanbul) as of tomorrow, May 24, and was surprised to find the sun coming up at about 4 a.m. -- in the northeast, over the Black Sea. The actual time of sunrise tomorrow in Istanbul is 5:39, and I believe it generally rises in the east -- and in the northern hemisphere, south of east, depending on latitude.

What gives?

Not an emergency, but I sure am curious.

Mac6737

Istanbul:

google puts gmt at 0.10

istanbul at 03.10

but fsx puts, in istanbul after time, reset:

gmt at 1.10

and local at 2.10

but now Ankara...

google puts gmt at 0.10

Ankara at 03.10

Fsx:

gmt at 0.10 -- different from Istanbul

Ankara at 02.10 -- same as Istanbul

Both fsx local times wrong, one GMT wrong and one correct.

(So, all messed up really.)

In many other cities/countries it works out better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Obviously, I haven't "flown" everywhere. However it seems to me the sun times, tide times, moon phases, wherever I happen to be are pretty spot on when I check them against real world conditions. Also, generally but not as often, the Jeppson weather updates seem pretty accurate.
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Obviously, I haven't "flown" everywhere. However it seems to me the sun times, tide times, moon phases, wherever I happen to be are pretty spot on when I check them against real world conditions. Also, generally but not as often, the Jeppson weather updates seem pretty accurate.

+1

Archived