PC Build for P3D

jsl

Add an SSD to the build, mount OS and P3D to it. Use the HD for addon sceneries and as a repository for `hangared` aircraft.

Also be careful in power unit selection - suggest 800-900w. You don't need all that power, but the rig will run considerably cooler if its not under strain - important for O/C.

And to answer your other question. Be specific: P3D v1, v2 or v3.2? 1 and 2 shared the same requirements as FSX, but with v3 L-M have begun to shift emphasis toward the GPU. Search term `P3D Tessellation` for details.

Unlike the various versions of FS, P3D makes heavy use of both the CPU and the GPU. So something like a GTX 970 or GTX 980 is very beneficial, in addition to a super CPU, such as an i7. I don't think SLI helps, though I may be out of date on that.

All that being said, the list you have there will do fairly well with P3D.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

With P3D it's very much more about being smooth than frame rates. Do not shoot for a frame rate target in your mind, go for the best framerate that gives you the smoothest operation. I have my systems locked at 20 and it's perfect. I can also run locked at 30 with no problem but since it's smooth at 20, I have nothing to gain by running at 30 - actually by running at 20 I gain a little overhead on the CPU.

Be prepared :) to drop frames in heavy clouds, no matter what - that is something that is being worked on by LM and Nvidia.

You should do just fine as long as you don't chase the FPS monster.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Also be careful in power unit selection - suggest 800-900w. You don't need all that power, but the rig will run considerably cooler if its not under strain - important for O/C.

Quality, not quantity. That rig will be hard-pressed to draw 200W from the wall. Get a good Seasonic 550W or 600W, rather than a high-wattage one.

Cheers!

Luke

Archived