joystick

anitelite

For several years I've relied on my Saitek ST290 for all my simulator programs. But suddenly it has decided it doesnt know where center is and so I went to replace it last night. To my great dismay I see that most of the "25" dollar sticks are out of production. Any thoughts or suggestions on a medium priced alternative? My only real requirement is that the handle twist for rudder control. Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible.

Thanks for your ideas ! Jim

I use a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X, which has the twist that you like as it comes out of the box.

This is more expensive at around USD 50, but it is a joystick-throttle combo, and what I like about it is that you can turn the twist off and use the rudder bar on the front of the throttle for rudder control.

Jorgen

I use a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X, which has the twist that you like as it comes out of the box.

This is more expensive at around USD 50, but it is a joystick-throttle combo, and what I like about it is that you can turn the twist off and use the rudder bar on the front of the throttle for rudder control.

Jorgen

Purely out of interest because I also have the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas-X, how do you manage to use the rudder bar on the front of the throttle control?

I would be interested to know how you achieve this in the control settings.

Also, how do you turn the twist off?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Jorgen

Hello

I also use and can recommend the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas-x .It comes as a Joystick plus separate throttle control .

A lot of JS for your money.

Mine must be six seven or eight years old ,and still going strong.

I suppose my only minor criticism is its weight ,its heavy .

But! it doubles as a weight lifting kit ,and keeps scrawny simmers in mighty muscles.

Cheers

Horatio the Huge!

PS For any Fs9 users who may be reading this the TF Hotas X also works with fs9.

PS For any Fs9 users who may be reading this the TF Hotas X also works with fs9

Yes it does. Just got one for my lovely wife and she loves it. VERY precise control if you turn the sensitivity almost all the way up, and nullzones all the way down, except the rudder. Give it about a 10 unit zone. Very small, but it prevents any "noise" that might occur due to human movement, inadvertent though it may be.

That's the way to set a "tunnel diode" type controller. IMO, they are much more precise and easy to use than the old potentiometer type. The potentiometer type need larger nullzone, as pots all have slightly different nullzones in them due to manufacturing variations.

Tunnel diode types don't have that. They are all so close to identical as makes no difference. All it takes is just the slightest movement of the stick, almost just a pressure, and they start to conduct (tell the sim to start movement of the correct control). Pots need some actual, physical movement to go off center and start conducting.

Just a few of my own personal thoughts on it...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi guys

Was digging through my PC junkster box and found a Mad Catz v.1 flight stick. Seems to work ok, but I'm at a loss as to how to make any of the button/throttle assignments work beyond the standard roll and pitch axis. Some of the online stuff makes reference to profiles that can be loaded? Anyone have experience with this device?

Here is a stick that you can configure in FSX. These are out of production years ago. I have used mine for 10 years. The 'old' one (same) still works (is 'back up'). Can't beat these. You can pay a lot of money and then need to do 'work arounds' (profiles are for Video Games not Flight Simulator). This is USB and XP/7/8.1 is 'plug and play'. Here is pic.

Chuck B

Napamule

MS Sidewander_$23 Used_Amazon.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Good! You can't find this 'New' anymore. They are $25 because the 'crowd' wants the greatest & latest controllers and not a 'used' stick so that is why you are lucky to find one. Hope it passed the test. I swear by these (Sidewinder) sticks. Simple but sturdy. Oh, if you want to 'lubricate' the rubbing surfaces, use a 'fabric softener' sheet that you put in the clothes dryer. The 'oil' on those does not cake, or react with plastic, and is anti-static so it won't attract dust.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for many years. It still works and I see it for sale most of the time at around $30 - $40 USD.

I had a semi-cockpit years ago and it was loaded with stuff from Elite Simulations in Winter Park, FL (heavy-duty commercial stuff for the most part, but compatible with FS9 at that time). The yoke and pedals were awesome. Shen I sold all the cockpit stuff, then got back into simming, I bought a keyboard encoder and dug out my old Logitech joystick. Pleased as punch to discover how well it still works.

With virtually any joystick, you can accomplish more than one might think if you learn FSUIPC thoroughly. You can fiarly easily make 12 buttons into 36 or 48.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

I've been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for many years. It still works and I see it for sale most of the time at around $30 - $40 USD.

I had a semi-cockpit years ago and it was loaded with stuff from Elite Simulations in Winter Park, FL (heavy-duty commercial stuff for the most part, but compatible with FS9 at that time). The yoke and pedals were awesome. Shen I sold all the cockpit stuff, then got back into simming, I bought a keyboard encoder and dug out my old Logitech joystick. Pleased as punch to discover how well it still works.

With virtually any joystick, you can accomplish more than one might think if you learn FSUIPC thoroughly. You can fiarly easily make 12 buttons into 36 or 48.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

+1! That's been my favorite joystick since the day I bought it.

Since I have a Saitek Multi-Panel, Rudder, and Throttle Quadrant, I've never needed to reprogram any of the controls past 1 function. But I can see how it would easily be done.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi guys

Was digging through my PC junkster box and found a Mad Catz v.1 flight stick. Seems to work ok, but I'm at a loss as to how to make any of the button/throttle assignments work beyond the standard roll and pitch axis. Some of the online stuff makes reference to profiles that can be loaded? Anyone have experience with this device?

I'm not familiar with that stick. But you can always call up your "Calibrate" and "Buttons & Functions" assignment pages in FSX, then cycle each button or switch and find how each button or switch function is identified out of the box.

Then If you want any button or switch to do something else instead, just follow the basic instructions to designate a new function. It will then ask you if you want to delete the previous function? Say "Yes" and then make it do anything in the huge menu list you wish it to do. :cool:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived