Steam, FSX-SE

svpst

Well first STEAM send me an "upgrade" which after installing, will not allow me to contact Steam via their icon nor can i start FSX-SE. So I moved FSX_SE.exe to my desktop and it works. Then today they send me an upgrade which allows me to start STEAM but as soon as I click " play" I get a message that FSX-SE has stopped working. Trying to contact these people is like trying to contact the pope. Any one have any ideas. Probably have to reinstall the whole dam thing.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Have you tried verifying the FSX SE files?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Also, you don't necessarily need to re-download the sim again if you reinstall Steam. If you save the contents of the SteamApps folder you can copy it back after reinstalling Steam (or move the Steam library location). The link below is for moving a Steam library, but the same process can basically be used for reinstalling Steam (even on a new machine).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Yes i tried this, didn't change anything. I've left 7 messages over the last 10 days in forums, completed to problem tickets and got nothing. I can still fly, went into the FSX_SE folder and pulled out the .exe file. But would like it to work properly. Consistently jiggling crap around is a pain.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Update. Yesterday i got an "upgrade" from STEAM so now, I access STEAM but as soon as i open STEAM and Click "Play" the "FSX_SE is not working" message appears and it closes down. Still haven't figured out how to get anyone's attention after 7 messages. But I can still fly using the FSX.exe file. Just read the notes about people going back to disks, very tempting.

Brian W.

No, I have not, been hoping STEAM would own up to what they have done and do a correction. Very frustrating not to be able to get to anyone who can help.

Brian W.

Update. Yesterday i got an "upgrade" from STEAM so now, I access STEAM but as soon as i open STEAM and Click "Play" the "FSX_SE is not working" message appears and it closes down. Still haven't figured out how to get anyone's attention after 7 messages. But I can still fly using the FSX.exe file. Just read the notes about people going back to disks, very tempting.

It appears across the board those who have discs are happier with them, providing they're on Windows 7. From your signature it appears you're still on 7. If you have the discs and they work, why put up with all the hassle? JMO!;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Actually I'm on Win10 and never had a problem for 4 months or so, then last month my REX W overdrive started playing some weird game. I ca open it, it updates my weather but I can't see the weather Window. Then last week came the problem of accessing STEAM and FSX_SE. Like I said I can still fly every day, get my weather, but I'm probably going to upgrade my machine in the 4th quarter so for now I'll muddle along. Thank you all for your responses. I'll also update by rig.

Brian W.

While waiting for Steam (doesn't need to be capitalized by the way) to get back to you, try reinstalling the Steam client. If you save the contents of the Steamapps folder you won't need to download everything again. I believe they have a knowledge base article about reinstalling on the Steam site. Probably some good guides elsewhere if you try a Google search.

Archived