Iconic first Boeing 727 makes final flight

As a little kid, I have fond memories of flying on 727's to Portland (PDX) a couple of times for Summer vacation. Also, watching many of them take off and land from Stapleton, as they flew right over my house, which was three blocks North of the Approach Path.

Still have fun flying Erick's 727 here and there... maybe today!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

...on a PSA 727 grinning bird!

When I was growing up, my father and all his pilot friends called those "The Grinning Idiots". Of course, none of them were PSA pilots...

They still had a few flying when I went to boot camp, and it always brought a lift to my spirit (no WAY would I smile in boot camp!!) when I'd see one landing or taking off from San Diego, especially since our main PT area, the "confidence course", PFT running course, pull-up bars, sit-up area, etc etc, was right up against the perimeter fence of MCRD, which it shared with the airport's runway.

Yes, I am afraid I am a "Hollywood" Marine :D

I recall several times flying from Honolulu Airport over to Kauai when would go over on vacation each year, and coming down the rear "airstair", into the warmth and humidity, with the unique scent of jet fuel, sea air, and flowers. I will never forget the excitement of "TIME TO HIT THE WATER!!".

Did you know the 727, only plane I ever saw with this, had a small red button, dead center in the ceiling, about 1/2 way back through coach. And no one, not the Flight Engineers, Captains, maintenance types, NO ONE knew what it was. Small red mushroom looking pull type switch. No one had the temerity to pull it either. I theorized, obviously foolishly, but hey...that it was for, in case of ditching, splitting the fuselage in half and deploying liferafts hidden in the ceiling, thus letting the passengers and crew escape easily and quickly.

Never did find out what it was really for...

Good flights and great days to all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived