Problems adding scenery to FSX - Steam Edition

K0TNT

I have tried several times to add freeware scenery files for a few airports to FSX-Steam. No luck. I now have no terminal buildings at O'Hare, Midway and Mpls! Any hints. All of the published instructions result in nothing.

Not having Steam, I can't be very specific. But I'd suggest you start by making sure all the freeware add-ons are totally removed or at least unchecked in the scenery library. What do you have then?

Sad to say, you might have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall clean!! :(

But I'd try my best to get the other stuff off my puter first! And I'd not try any add on in the future that didn't have a statement that it works with Steam!

BTW: I just flew into all three airports and especially at KMDW & KMSP an working upgrade from default would certainly be better.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Like Rupert, I don't have FSX-SE but my understanding is that all addons are placed within the steamapps folders located under the C:\Program(x86) area.

An option that may help, if FSX-SE allows, is to install outside FSX in a location of your choosing and use a scenery config tool to add the scenery to FSX.

IE - instead of adding scenery files to the default Addon Scenery location and then activating it via the FSX-SE settings page add the scenery files to your own location (say C:\My Addon Scenery\Scenery and C:\My Addon Scenery\Textures and then use the config tool to activate the scenery in FSX-Se

One such tool is SceneryConfigEditor available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Its free and is a great utility - I have been using it for a number of years now and no longer use the FSX scenery settings area to add scenery and, as a bonus, it automatically recognises any payware installs. The link goes to the latest version - make sure that you click the correct download button, its the one located to the right of the star and downloads this week entries. There is a version available in this site's library but its several versions out of date but is still usable.

Regards

Brian

One of the nice things about MSFS, that they did properly, IMO, is that you can put add-on scenery anywhere you like. Another drive, if you want. You just need to make sure hte Sim "knows" where it is.

Say you get an entire scenery for Denver. All these are merely examples, mind you. YMMV. By the time you get everything unzipped and placed where you want, you have: C:\MSGames\Steam\steamapps\common\fsx and the new scenery at D:\MY SCENERIES\Denver\KDEN. When you go to the Settings, Scenery Library, you just have to use the buttons at the top of the Add New Area window, to navigate to the proper folder, as I showed above.

If you get a scenry add-on that only has a .bgl file or three to add, a lot of people place those in the ...\FSX\Add-On Scenery\scenery folder. That way you don't have to "add new area". Just place them there, fire up the Sim, and away you go.

As to the missing buildings and such, does the new scenery(s) require a Object Library of some sort? If so, have you downloaded and "Added" the Library to you scenery library? Like say it needs an object library named Len's EZ Buildings, for example. Find that file in the Library here on FlightSim, DL and unzip to where you want, then add it in like you would any other scenery.

If you do not need an object library, have you added some .bgl files lately? Can you remove them and see what the result is? Do the new sceneries require a slider be set to a point higher than you set yours? Like say the Scenery Complexity slider in the Settings, according to the new scenery's ReadMe file, Display tab, Scenery tab within that, need to be set to Very Dense, and yours is set below that? Just a possibility.

Hope all that helps a little bit, somehow. And yes, I do use FSX-SE.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

What I did was to extract the scenery files somewhere accessible; you will see Scenery files as *.BGL and possibly Texture files as well as *.BMP. (Good authors put them in folders, but sometimes there is only a couple of files anyway).

Then, copy all of the scenery files to:

(your system)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery

and the texture files to

(your system)/Steam/Steamapps/common/FSX/Addon Scenery/Texture

When you start FSX-SE, these new airports will be there and selectable.

I have installed scenery in steam. It works. Watch this video and make note of the last step to put into scenery folder. Only click on the white area. No where else. That should do it for you.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

What I did was to extract the scenery files somewhere accessible; you will see Scenery files as *.BGL and possibly Texture files as well as *.BMP. (Good authors put them in folders, but sometimes there is only a couple of files anyway).

Then, copy all of the scenery files to:

(your system)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery

and the texture files to

(your system)/Steam/Steamapps/common/FSX/Addon Scenery/Texture

When you start FSX-SE, these new airports will be there and selectable.

That works for a while, but the more sceneries you have running, the hardr the CPU has to work.

As a general rule, for sceneries that come with a folder, let us say KDEN, that has subfolders scenery and texture, so that you wind up with KDEN\scenery and KDEN\texture, you want to add them into your scenery library as I described. That way, you can activate them when you are going to use them for a flight, and de-activate them at all other times.

It also makes it a lot easier, if a scenery you just added has a detrimental effect on the Sim somehow, to remove it quickly and easily, rather than having to search through hundreds or thousands of file in your ...FSX\Add-ON Scenery\scenery and ...\texture folders, which can wind up badly bloated if you aren't careful.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 10 months later...

I have just made a clean reinstall of Win10 and removed my previous double setup of FSX and FSX STEAM to solely run FSX STEAM.

I haver previously experienced issues with installing freeware scenery in FSX but now I can see that my install does NOT cancel the standard airport (EKRK in Denmark).

Has anybody out there experienced anything similar?

I am running on a i7 860@2,7gb and GTX 660, scaled down appropriately using Nick's Bible to enable using Orbyx and AS2016/ASCA.

Happy Seasons to all and looking forward to a certain Constellation to fly into EKCH......

Sendt fra min GT-N5110 med Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
I have no problem in installing scenery or AFCADs in FSX. My problem is Steam. I cannot figure out how to add a self installing AFCAD file to Steam. Does anyone know?

My guess is that the "self installer" can not find the proper folders for adding the AFCAD file. Does this installer let you manually choose a folder that you create to install it to? Then you can add the extracted file to the correct location manually.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived