My Aircraft Turns Left

Q2DM1

So I downloaded a file from I-forget-the-name-of-where today and flew it because it was one of my favorites from FS9; the uploader converted the FS9 Ford Tri-Motor to work with FSX. When I first loaded it I guess my controller decided to only half-work and I ended up turning (read: steering) left off the runway unable to pull up and hit a building. Second attempt, the controller didn't work at all so I exited FSX and unplugged my controller, plugged it back in and started FSX. The third attempt went better, but the aircraft turned (read: steered) left again, but I was able to get it into the air.

My controller is an XBox One controller because I can't afford a joystick, so I have auto rudder enabled. Most, if not all, of the default prop aircraft show the same behavior but to a much less extreme level and a bit of right stick will sort it out. But it's like this aircraft has no rudder at all. But that's not the end of it.

Once in the air, the aircraft wants to constantly roll left and I have to apply right stick every few seconds. I could easily say that the rudder is stuck in a permanent left trim but when the aircraft is semi-level it flies straight. My realism settings has P_Factor, Torque and Gyro sliders all the way down. So maybe it's my controller. I loaded a new flight with a different taildragger (Piper Cub) and it behaves just like I expected: small amount of left turn on takeoff roll, but steady once airborne. Therefore it must not be my controller.

So unless it's the "General" slider (which is turned all the way up [not going to test because I'm going to bed as soon as I hit post]), I have no clue.

<?php
while(1){
echo "Hey, wait! This is a trap! ";
} ?>

Not sure if this will help, but I got an Extreme 3d Pro Logitech joystick at Fry's Electronics for about $30. I have had it for almost 4 years after my much more expensive saitek broke after about 2 months. http://www.frys.com/product/3755816. This one is about $40, if you go to the store you might get it cheaper. I know you said you can't afford a joystick. But it might help your situation if you can scrounge up a few $$$$.

Two things to look for;

1. fuel state, is there an imbalance left to right?

2. passengers; have you an odd number left to right? or just a pilot on the left hand side?

Lateral bias of C of G can be a big one wing low problem, not to mention also the prop gyroscopic problem. Try adjusting the rudder trim through your key pad.

Keith

It's probably the old FSX 'sticking controls' thing, there was this thread about it not so long ago-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?296089-Constant-heading-deviation-during-taxi&highlight=waggle

Next time your aircraft veers, go to external view to eyeball the control surfaces and you'll probably see they're offset from neutral. (it's an FSX glitch), so waggle and twist your joystick/yoke/pedals to free up the control surfaces to allow them to return to centre.

(And un-tick the 'Autorudder' option on the Aircraft Realism screen or it could mess you up, I never use auto-rudder myself)

PS- real-life pilots waggle to make sure their controls are loose and free before takeoff, so it's a habit we simmers should also get into..;)

Waggle-Shmaggle! You can't hold that XBOX controller by the cord and twirl it over your head!:rolleyes:

Before takeoff, Hit the Numpad5 key to center all controls and then add some right rudder to counter the torque of the prop engine. I use auto rudder also and have to do this for successful flights of most prop aircraft.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Waggling WORKS most of the time..:)

If it doesn't, that's the only time to go the geeky route and start messing about with files and stuff in the holy inner sanctum.

As for autorudder, I've had FSX for 8 years and have never used it because I like to be in total manual command of the aircraft myself and don't need no steenkin autorudder, you haven't lived til you've thrown a 747 around the sky bush pilot style in the same way you make love, quickly, brutally, decisively..:)

Not familiar with this aircraft so I'm just guessing.

1. Any simulated control lock needs to be unlocked.

2. Check control surfaces outside for correct movement when moving controls on device being used. (Flight control check) if it doesn't move either number 1 is the problem or device isn't properly configured.

3. If using game pad, make sure auto-rudder is on in settings unless you have an assigned rudder control for device.

4. Check winds. If crosswind is too high, it may just do that. Blow you off the runway before being able to lift off.

Waggling WORKS most of the time..:)

As for autorudder, I've had FSX for 8 years and have never used it because I like to be in total manual command of the aircraft myself and don't need no steenkin autorudder, you haven't lived til you've thrown a 747 around the sky bush pilot style in the same way you make love, quickly, brutally, decisively..:)

Wow! I hope your passengers enjoy the thrill too! However the guy in first class with a spilled bottle of Chateau Expensive might not be too thrilled! :rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I love some of these responses, haha. I turned the General slider all the way down in the realism settings and it flew straight. I even managed to stay on the runway :P.

The aircraft has three tanks. The two outer tanks had the same amount as did the center. I set it to no passengers/baggage, only a pilot. I figured at first that was why, but it behaved so poorly while the tail was still on the ground (tail wheel is the only simulated lock). The behavior of the aircraft overall seemed consistent with torque/p factor/etc because once I hit the ground it went from turning left to turning right, which is what was throwing me because, again, the associated sliders were (still are) at zero.

Now that I think about it I want to say that another aircraft (Orion, maybe) had a minor left bank tendency, but at a much lower, almost unnoticeable rate.

I will try some more tests to see what I can do.

<?php
while(1){
} ?>

When I did the previous test I left the fuel/passenger settings at default. I did the test again leaving them at defaults again but with the General setting maxed out again. I stayed on the runway and noticed something weird. I got up in the air and started a starboard turn. I centered the controls in the turn, but it kept going into a more and more steep bank. I corrected it and centered the controls again only to have the same thing happen.

I eventually leveled out but the aircraft kept trying to bank right and I kept having to level it back out. After two or three times doing that, it started to bank left. I kept leveling it out. Some more tests showed that if the aircraft is not flying level, it will bank into that direction. The less level the wings, the faster it will bank.

At first I thought maybe that was what was going on, but then I clearly remembered it rotating left when I banked right and it did so at a constant rate.

<?php
while(1){
} ?>

Just done a quick flight of the Ford Tri motor in FS9 & its definitely doing similar in that program, i.e. unstable in roll where the roll will increase left or right if any bank is applied.

It will need some tweaking in the air file to fix it, possibly in the roll parameters within the 1100 block. C of G height might also have some effect.

Keith

So I downloaded ..FS9 Ford Tri-Motor to work with FSX.

My controller is an XBox One controller because I can't afford a joystick..

I downloaded the FS9 Tri-motor into FSX and it flies perfectly without any tweaking of any kind, but then I'm using a joystick and you're not..;)

Tell your parents you're going to join the local street gang and run around getting in trouble with the police because you're fed up sitting in your room every night trying to get along without a proper joystick, and if they're smart they'll quickly give you a handout to buy a stick..;)

They have no money either. I'm hoping that when my college returns the leftover aid from this semester that I'll get enough to buy one. But they didn't entirely cover my book costs so probably not; but then they might because of how it was calculated. I actually want one of the yoke/throttle quadrants.
<?php
while(1){
} ?>

Well just start saving up for one!

In 1968 I saved up for a whole year to buy a radio control outfit for model planes for 160 GB pounds (228 US dollars)

PS- At the moment I'm saving up to buy a Russian bride and am going over there to choose one, then after a whirlwind romance we'll get married and take in all the sights on our honeymoon such as the Stalingrad Tractor Factory, the Red October Steelworks and the Kursk anti-tank ditches..:)

I downloaded the FS9 Tri-motor into FSX and it flies perfectly without any tweaking of any kind, but then I'm using a joystick and you're not..;)

/QUOTE]

Whilst I did similar copying it from FS9 to FSX & it behave almost the same, i.e. drifts off to the left with increasing bank angle. If corrected with a little bit of right bank is increases bank but at a slower rate. I also have a joystick. Might be the realism setting?

Keith

Like I said earlier guys, before starting your takeoff run, give your joystick/yoke/pedals a good WAGGLING to their extremities to free up the control surfaces so they can return to neutral, and I guarantee your plane won't veer or roll.

It's a longstanding issue with FS2004 and FSX, but a quick waggle soon solves it; real world pilots do it, so should we..:)

Like I said earlier guys, before starting your takeoff run, give your joystick/yoke/pedals a good WAGGLING to their extremities to free up the control surfaces so they can return to neutral, and I guarantee your plane won't veer or roll.

It's a longstanding issue with FS2004 and FSX, but a quick waggle soon solves it; real world pilots do it, so should we..:)

YES, it's much better to find out you have a stuck flight control before takeoff!!!:pilot:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Not sure if this will help, but I got an Extreme 3d Pro Logitech joystick at Fry's Electronics for about $30. I have had it for almost 4 years after my much more expensive saitek broke after about 2 months. http://www.frys.com/product/3755816. This one is about $40, if you go to the store you might get it cheaper. I know you said you can't afford a joystick. But it might help your situation if you can scrounge up a few $$$$.

I found this joystick (the extreme 3d pro) to be a problem in itself. It's one crappy controller imo. I had the same problem (plane turning left on the ground and in the air) and I found the cause to be the joystick itself. I'd disconnect and reconnect it to get it to work right. It still acts up and it's not an accurate controller.

Archived