Flying the Boeing 737 for Dummies

GridNorth

Is there such a book :-) Seriously I'm struggling to know where to start. It's taken me two days just to get the engines going. I've seen things on YouTube that cover some elements but there are too many that are poorly presented and difficult to follow and there are a lot of inconsistencies. I'm looking for something simple to follow but accurate.

Alan

Yes. I've managed that and even managed to take off but I have no idea what to do next.

Alan

Might I suggest doing some of the simpler Missions like "Transitioning to Jets" or "Secret Shuttle" Mission where you have a copilot giving instructions. I think that will give you something to practice.

Both of these Missions are easy and it's a basic takeoff-fly somewhere-then land somewhere else. Basically all the things you do in a free-flight scenario.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The problem with those is that they use default control commands that don't always work on my rig because I have reassigned most of the controls but I will try again now that I am a little more familiar with the aircrafts layout. Cheers.

Alan

OK, Boss...Good luck! By the by, there's always the old fashioned way of raising or lowering flaps, gear, etc. by actually clicking on the appropriate levers/switches in the cockpit.;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In your other thread you mentioned you may eventually get the PMDG 737. I wouldn't go near that for awhile, if I were you, until you master the default one. No offense, but, the PMDG is extremely complex for a beginner such as yourself..
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

GridNorth, Yes there is a book and I have it. It is by Captain Mike Ray, Retired United Air Lines...You must purchase it of course, and it is a syllabus on the PMDG 737, but it covers so much more about Jet Aircraft and Aviation...Big Thing is it is not a boring textbook...I hate those types of books and the YouTube Videos where the audio is unintelligible or no audio at trying to explain simulator questions that many of us have/....this book is humorous and entertaining plus gives a lot of shortcuts that the professionals use everyday...I keep it close by on each flight I make. If you take your time, study this book and practice, practice and practice some more on his flights since you can take off a jet...In my opinion only...why learn on something that is not even realistic....Start with the best...if you crash and you will, I promise .,,,,,after not too long you will see improvement and then it gets Really Fun!... The choice is yours....as someone once said....I GOT MINE!!!! LOL al v Tucson and I get nothing for this...and I still crash too...just being honest!

...plus I was born in Ft Wayne in 1941...

My step-son lives in Ft. Wayne. Great kid. Had heart surgery at 19. Doing perfectly now, though.

It is by Captain Mike Ray, Retired United Air Lines...

That name seems familiar. My father is also a retired UAL Capt., so I'm certain he knew Capt. Ray. I just can't quite place him from when/where we met...

Oh well...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I'd break down and buy a good 737 if one really wants to learn about it.

The default is really too mickey mouse as far as systems as to be anything like

really flying one. If one is going to learn a plane, they might as well start with a

realistic sim. Otherwise you just end up having to learn everything over again when

you do get the better sim. But this assumes the simmer at least has the basics down

well enough to learn an advanced plane. IE: if one can't fly the 172... Not much point in

going for the heavy metal yet.

Myself, I fly the PMDG NGX, but there is also the ifly 737. I like the textures better

on the PMDG and they may have the edge in total systems fidelity, but the ifly does

seem to have pretty accurate systems too. At least as far as the ones that really

matter. Either one is light years ahead of the default plane. The default plane doesn't

fly too bad actually, but the systems, AP, etc are a joke. Doesn't operate anything like

the real plane, even ignoring the lack of an FMC and all.

BTW, the PMDG plane supplies the actual Boeing manuals in PDF format. :)

• 1 month later...
Are you serious? Is it possible to learn how to fight with a book?

A complex aircraft like a Boeing airliner is going to require study. Any dumb chimp can push the yoke and throttles. But if you are really trying to run FSX as a flight simulator, not a kid's game, then you need to study, learn procedures, learn airmanship, as well as practice actual flights, do some training.

A complex aircraft like a Boeing airliner is going to require study. Any dumb chimp can push the yoke and throttles. But if you are really trying to run FSX as a flight simulator, not a kid's game, then you need to study, learn procedures, learn airmanship, as well as practice actual flights, do some training.

I'd go beyond that: The automation and integration of systems is something that, if got wrong, results in a decidedly unsatisfactory sim experience. Do it right, or don't bother at all.

Conversely, there are always cheaper, simpler models out there that can tailor the experience to the level of study the individual is prepared to put in.

Archived