Wilco 737 Veers to left on Take Off Roll

ChristoffNY

Hi all,

As the title suggests I experience strong yaw/veer to the left during the take off roll. I don't experience it with other aircraft and I can't really attribute it to the weather because even with a wind from the left, the a/c still veers to the left.

I've tried with the yaw damper off and on but neither makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

ChristoffNY

Are you sure both engines are fully operational?

Are you certain the AP is completely off? Hit Z and listen for hte warning tone. If you don't get it hit Z again to be certain it's off.

Leave the YD off for take-off, btw, then engage it once you're done making turns. It will make the Turn&Bank "ball" lag way off where it should be during turns at much more than about 10-15° bank angle.

Look at the spot view before you start to roll. Is the rudder centered? Is the Yaw Trim 0°? Double check it before you start to roll.

Just a couple small ideas (they're the best I can get...)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Not sure it is the cause, because you probably tried with no wind as well.

Just so you know. A wind from the left will make the plane veer left on the runway.

This is because the large vertical tail fin is the aircraft part most affected by the wind. It is pushed to the right by a wind from the left so the nose will then veer left.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ChristoffNY, this thread is 5 months old, have you abandoned it and joined the Foreign Legion or what?

For the record here's another idea- before starting the takeoff roll, get into the habit of always WAGGLING and TWISTING your joystick to "free up" the control surfaces so they can snap to neutral, because sometimes they start slightly offset.

I find my rudders often start offset to the left, I don't know if it's a stick or sim issue, but like I said a waggle and twist returns it to neutral.

PS- I haven't got a yoke or pedals but I'd do the same waggle thing with them.

Don't bother with waggling - that's like revving your engine at traffic lights. A totally pointless waste of juice.

Use the keypad `5` (numlock OFF). Do this everytime you launch the sim. Once only.

If you need to look up what this does you can.

...this thread is 5 months old...

Not to be argumentative, but I'm missing something here. How can this thread be 5 months old, when the first post is 12-07-15. Isn't that a tad more recent that 5 months? Or did I miss something in Common Core Math?

Just curious...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Not to be argumentative, but I'm missing something here. How can this thread be 5 months old, when the first post is 12-07-15. Isn't that a tad more recent that 5 months? Or did I miss something in Common Core Math?

Just curious...

Pat☺

Nah! It's just the "NEW" math they teach in skool nowadays;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Here in England 12-07-2015 has always meant 12th of July, we invented the language..:)

As for waggling the stick to make sure the controls are freed up, real pilots do it and so do I because it's more decisive than just hitting keypad 5 with numlock off.

This crash wouldn't have happened if the pilot had waggled before takeoff because he'd have felt that the elevator gust locks were still in place-

English was the first language spoken on another world, who can forget Armstrong's immortal words- "That's a small step for a man, but a giant leap for the English language", and since then its spread throughout the galaxy and has become the second language of Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Cardassians, Ferengi, etc you name it..:)

Sometimes your joystick will become a little un-calibrated . If you notice your plane veering a little. try coming to a stop, and the un-plugging your joystick USB. wait a few seconds and then plug your joystick USB back in. A lot of times this will re-calibrate your joystick.

Here in England 12-07-2015 has always meant 12th of July, we invented the language..

May well be, but we perfected it :D

That "waggle" is actually part-n-parcel of "wiping the controls" that any good pilot habitually does before take off. It's ALWAYS the last action a Nasal Radiator takes just before he gives a "sharp slute" (according to the NATOPS!) to the cat officer and then he's thrown violently off the deck of a carrier.

I learned to do it before take off when I was learning to fly at 14 in gliders. The Rudder waggle was not only the last part of the control wipe, but it signaled the tow-plane to take off, so I didn't go anywhere till I had done it :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

I don't know why the guys have to 'beat around the bush'. You are (inadvertendly) giving it 'ENGLISH' (via joy twist or pedals). What else can you be giving it - French?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hey dudes,

Yeah sorry my bad with the whole weather cocking the wrong way issue, but still, the aircraft runs out of rudder authority with a really light crosswind.

Is this an issue with this particular aircraft?

Yes, if you have the yam damper active.

If you run out of rudder authority, make sure the Yaw Damper is OFF before you start your roll. Hit CTRL+D, the look at the rudder from the outside, and give 'er the "waggle".If the rudder waggles all the way through it's range, you're GTG, if not, maybe you have the AP on? Maybe try the YD again, to be certain it's off.

It really makes a big difference in the rudder's range of motion. Besides, it really impresses any female pilots behind you. They just love a good waggle. I've heard...

:D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived