Deleting unused scenery files

leader01

I fly in the Pacific Northwest, Northern California and South Africa. If I deleted Asia, Europe, Australasia and South America would this have an impact on the remaining scenery and would it have any effect on my PC's performance?

Instead of deleting, just deactivate them in the scenery library (untick the checkbox). But you wont notice any difference, because these AFAIK contain only the mesh. You would have to deactivate the pertaining scenery folders ("0601, 0602" etc) as well (airports, landclass and vector data).

Be careful with that. Make a 100% backup copy of the main sim folder and the FSX folder in ProgramData/Microsoft before you start.

Instead of deleting, just deactivate them in the scenery library (untick the checkbox). But you wont notice any difference, because these AFAIK contain only the mesh. You would have to deactivate the pertaining scenery folders ("0601, 0602" etc) as well (airports, landclass and vector data).

Be careful with that. Make a 100% backup copy of the main sim folder and the FSX folder in ProgramData/Microsoft before you start.

Hey, what about if you want to delete one specific airport no longer servin? Thanks.

Hey, what about if you want to delete one specific airport no longer servin? Thanks.

1. Find the BGL file where it is in. You can do that with ADE, if you "open stock airport" it will tell you the BGL file where it "lives"

2. Decompile this BGL with BGL2XML

3. In the resulting XML file, remove the section that contains the data for this airport

4. Recompile the XML file with bglcomp

5. ...and exchange for the old one.

Any specific airport you want to get rid of?

1. Find the BGL file where it is in. You can do that with ADE, if you "open stock airport" it will tell you the BGL file where it "lives"

2. Decompile this BGL with BGL2XML

3. In the resulting XML file, remove the section that contains the data for this airport

4. Recompile the XML file with bglcomp

5. ...and exchange for the old one.

Any specific airport you want to get rid of?

Be careful with that.

Those files usually contain many airports and you can mess things up with this method.

Microsoft gave us tools to create scenery files, not tools to decompile them.

The tools that decompile them make assumptions that may be inaccurate.

For instance, if you decompile a scenery file, recompile it, then decompile the new file and compare it to the original you will see that everything has moved a little bit.

This can lead to problems, mostly with addons scenery.

peace,

the Bean

PS. decompiling default scenery files also is a violation of the EULA.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Be careful with that.

Those files usually contain many airports and you can mess things up with this method.

Microsoft gave us tools to create scenery files, not tools to decompile them.

The tools that decompile them make assumptions that may be inaccurate.

For instance, if you decompile a scenery file, recompile it, then decompile the new file and compare it to the original you will see that everything has moved a little bit.

This can lead to problems, mostly with addons scenery.

peace,

the Bean

PS. decompiling default scenery files also is a violation of the EULA.

Surely everyone fiddling with scenery or any other files will make a backup copy beforehand. That way he/she is not running any risk at all, if it doesn't work as desired, just drop the original back in.

You could also try to build a new, defunct airport on top of the default one with ADE if you like. Exclude everything from the default scenery, then rebuild the airport as it looks now in it's defunct state, without radios or navaids and without a working runway. It will still exist, but it is as close to unusable as it gets.

Btw my favourite part of the EULA is this one:

You may not

· work around any technical limitations in the software;

Surely everyone fiddling with scenery or any other files will make a backup copy beforehand.

If everyone did that about 1/4 of the posts here would not exist.

And stop calling me Shirley.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Getting past the usual EULA claptrap, as this won't do anything to improve performance, unless you are replacing an airport with an aftermarket replacement, it's usually best left well alone. And if you are replacing one, the scenery menu automatically disables the pre-existing if a replacement appears above it in the GUI.

We've said it time and again, the best way to improve FSX performance is to buy better hardware.

Archived