Double Trouble

fsblibli

Hi guys,

wonder if anyone can help me with this one. Both topics should be fixed with an entry in a cfg.-file but I haven't found the clue.

1. I'm using an altitude callout gauge on my heavy jets. Sometimes the visibility on final is a problem so I press 'W' and switch to the minipanel view for touchdown. Unfortunately in that view there will be no more altitude callout sound. I once had an aircraft that did play the sounds in minipanel view so it must be possible. Does anybody know how to add it?

2. I'm using the latest Yak-3 by Mr. Scrub. Nice airplane. Just think it's not realistic having the engine starve at negative g. The plane is from 1944 so it should have had a carburettor for flying upside down. In section 505 of the air-file there is the entry 'negative g engine effects'. I set it to '0' in order to remove the effect of a stuttering engine. However it didn't change a thing. Is there a second value hidden in the air-file or maybe the aircraft.cfg that has to be changed as well?

Thanks for your help!

When you are close to ground (200 ft) you don't REALLY need call outs - it's OVER by then.

For the engine 'problem' try these suggestions. I do not have it installed (yet) so can't say what it does with/without these tweaks. But my hunch is that this will fix it.

in aircraft.cfg:

fuel_air_auto_mixture=0 //change to '1'

idle_rpm_friction_scalar=1.000000 //change it to 0.600 (6 zeros is NOT required)

//do this last as it's 'last gasp' tweak and might not be required.

in air file:

fuel injection?= 0 //change to '1'

I will install it tomorrow (due to real life commitment) and will test and tweak it further as I am sure there are other 'glitches' (Scrub models always do). Cheers.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If you haven't placed the altitude callout gauge in a VCockpit section in the panel.cfg file, try that. That will activate the gauge in the maximum number of views. If that doesn't work, you would probably need to add the gauge to the minipanel itself. If it has a minipanel section in its panel.cfg file add it there. If not, the default minipanels are in the Aircraft/Default folder.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

To fly inverted with the Yak-3 try this.

In the aircraft.cfg go to the [piston_engine] section and look for the line fuel_metering_type=1, and change the line to fuel_metering_type=2. This will give the aircraft an aerobatic carburetor in place of the gravity one.

Paul.

Wonder what the passangers say if I ask them to leave the plane at 200 ft. 'Come on, you are practically there!' Still interested in that gauge. I can crash an aircraft from any altitude. :-) Thanks for you support anyway.

Unfortunately the Yak still stutters. Must be something else.

Thanks for the help with the minipanel. Yes, that was the right idea. Didn't know that it was possible to enter it just as a window in the panel.cfg. Now it works fine!

fsblibli - You are right, the Yak-3 had 6 carburettors and a 2-speed turbocharger (kompressor), so it shouldn't be fuel-starved in negative G. Have you switched on the fuel pump? Press Shift+5, it's the second left toggle switch.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I understand that the Yak 3 had a number of different engine versions some of which didn't provide negative g. The earlier Hurricanse and Spitfires had that problem. Beatrice 'Tilly' Shilling, a young female engineer working at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, came up with a disarmingly simple solution in 1941. She introduced a simple flow restrictor: a small metal disc much like a plain metal washer. This simple and elegant solution was only a stopgap: it did not allow inverted flight for any length of time. The problems were not finally overcome until the introduction of Bendix and later Rolls-Royce pressure carburettors in 1943.

Anybody that NEEDS altitute call outs with a tail dragger type fighter prop plane is just NOT any kind of WWII fighter pilot. They didn't HAVE altitute call outs back then. Either you 'Had It' or you didn't. And what is it with flying with passengers. Really?

The panel uses a lot of '*.XML' type gauges. Maybe if you use a different panel? I did. I did not have any 'stuttering'. Try this: fuel_metering_type= 2 //0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carburetor, 2=Aerobatic Carburetor

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Anybody that NEEDS altitute call outs with a tail dragger type fighter prop plane is just NOT any kind of WWII fighter pilot.

Anybody that can't READ a question properly is NOT any kind of help here.

The callout gauge is required for flying HEAVY JETS.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Keep cool everyone and thanks for any support! The fuel metering type did the trick. You always learn something new.

The callout gauge was not meant for the Yak but for flying my heavies. Thanks mgh for the background information.

Double trouble solved!

tiger was right - I missed that the OP wanted the call outs for a heavy (and not the Yak3). My bad. I myself turn off Alt call outs on all my heavies. I can't be annoyed with that when I am BUSY trying to land (hehe).

Chuck B

Archived