What Are Launchers?

ColR1948

I recently installed a couple of aircraft and I got icons on the main screen about Launchers, plus I installed some scenery and I got an icon for that too about activating some of it.

What is that all about, I never got any of this with FS2004, I know it's a different sim but why all this can't it all be included in the install instead of these extra things on the desktop, I activated the scenery one and I got a message it can't be done while FSX is running, close the sim and start again, maddening!

What aircraft did you install that gave you launchers? Did these download have an auto-installer? Was the scenery that you installed put into the scenery library or just added to the Addonscenery/Scenery folder?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You should get these mostly with payware, like the Aerosoft Launcher or FTX Central. These programs are about copy protection and/or configuration. Unfortunately copy protection had to grow more elaborate, and every developer uses a different method. And some config options, like configuring aircraft setups and controls, disabling scenery elements or changing textures can only be done when the sim is not running.

I recently installed a couple of aircraft and I got icons on the main screen about Launchers, plus I installed some scenery and I got an icon for that too about activating some of it.

What is that all about, I never got any of this with FS9, I know it's a different sim but why all this can't it all be included in the install instead of these extra things on the desktop, I activated the scenery one and I got a message it can't be done while FSX is running, close the sim and start again, maddening!

Launchers are usually used to assimilate a first install into the simulator, as a selector for various switchable features, as as part of the one-time installation and registration routine.

For more specific information, be more specific - and you might want to add the usual information such as what the heck products you are talking about.

And yes, FSX isn't FS2004 and more sophisticated addons need a more sophisticated approach to their installation and use.

For the benefit of search engines, I believe the question you are actually searching for is: What are Launchers?

Archived