Best payware?

Lolzmein

Get some Photoreal scenery..:)

For example here's an FSX screenshot of a plane over Plymouth photoreal scenery, I can see my house, the local pub, the chip shop, roads, rails, the funfair on the Hoe, alleyways and everything else in their exact proper place. No other scenery can do that..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-GenX-Plymouth_zpsqljhnoiy.jpg~original

The problem with photoreal scenery is that it's great from high altitude but starts to get really blocky and pixellated when you descend below about 2000ft (terrible below 1000ft!). Also, it doesn't usually have autogen so looks flat and featureless as you get lower. Orbx might not be as geographically correct but looks much better (IMO) for GA flying. If you want more realism, Lolzmein, get ASN for the best weather with your REX textures.

If you like to fly by following roads, rails, rivers etc, photoreal is the only way to go, because EVERTHING is guaranteed to be there in its proper place.

For example below is my FSX Tiger Moth over photoreal Henley-on-Thames, the buildings are pancake-flat 2D but at this height give the illusion of being 3D.

And there ARE 3D hills and valleys and mountains in photoreal, again all in their proper places.

I use the addon 'Treescapes' program to put 3D trees into photoreal.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-TMothb.gif

I have paper maps like this open on my lap as I fly over photoreal scenery, I could navigate hundreds of miles by eyeballing the ground and referencing it with the map, it's great fun, and even more fun in bad visibility when you have to concentrate fiercely to make sure the farm track you're following across Dartmoor isn't leading you up the garden path..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-henleyb.gif

ORBX orrrrrr, nup just ORBX
AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

If you like to fly by following roads, rails, rivers etc, photoreal is the only way to go, because EVERTHING is guaranteed to be there in its proper place.

For example below is my FSX Tiger Moth over photoreal Henley-on-Thames, the buildings are pancake-flat 2D but at this height give the illusion of being 3D.

And there ARE 3D hills and valleys and mountains in photoreal, again all in their proper places.

I use the addon 'Treescapes' program to put 3D trees into photoreal.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-TMothb.gif

I have paper maps like this open on my lap as I fly over photoreal scenery, I could navigate hundreds of miles by eyeballing the ground and referencing it with the map, it's great fun, and even more fun in bad visibility when you have to concentrate fiercely to make sure the farm track you're following across Dartmoor isn't leading you up the garden path..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/FSX-henleyb.gif

I agree. If you're looking for placement accuracy photoreal is the way to go. In fact your flying reminds me of what we did when I flew helicopters before GPS or even LORAN were invented. I made several chopper ferry trips from Philadelphia Pa. to Santa Ana Ca. daytime VFR only. You have lots of detail in the UK. There is almost no detail, except restricted areas, in VFR Supplements or even highway maps in Texas and many other places in the US. In fact, avoiding restricted areas was almost all we used the supplements for.

For us IFR meant I Fly Roads! And the road maps followed by the topos were far more useable than the VFR Supplements! And no, we weren't adverse to flying around water towers to read the name of the town we were flying over.

Under ferry rules, we were required to fly between 500' and 1,000' AGL for the whole trip. So that was also too low to receive most VOR, TACAN, or even DME signals. Our best ADF was triangulating off of the commercial AM radio stations! If you didn't like country western music, in much of the Southern US, you were in trouble big time!

Being used to flying 500' to 1,000' AGL, I'm more of a fan of the Orbx scenery. They might not be as accurate with their scenery, but the features and buildings don't look flat. Even at the altitudes I fly.

In your screenshot I notice you're at 1,587'. Which is what, 1,300'+ AGL? It looks great there. But that's way higher than most of my flying. As we say in Kentucky. "Horses for Courses!"

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived