FSX dies when idling

ednixon

I've never seen it before, but now with the stock Cessna 172 at idle (about 650 rpm) after a minute or so it just shuts off. It'll restart OK, then do the same thing. If I bump up the rpm enough to turn off the OIL light, it runs OK. Not a big problem, but what would have changed? I think I remember it running indefinitely at idle, even though you might not want to do that for real.

Correction on the thread title ... FSX doesn't die, just the engine. Similar to what happens if I pull the fuel mix control to full lean.

Are you at an altitude greater than sea level? I never have left my 172 at idle for any length of time. Is it normal for the oil light to be on at idle? Have you tried leaning the mixture a little?

No light for oil pressure on my 172. Do you have a glass cockpit? My oil pressure gauge reads lower that the green area but not as low as the red.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I wouldn't leave my car idling indefinitely on a warm day with an oil pressure light on.

Most light aircraft engines are air cooled.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks for the replies. Here's a few answers for those who asked...

Yes - above sea level. I'm on the ground at Denver.

I have not tried leaning the mixture, however the significant point is that I've never seen this before. I'm sure I've sat on the ground with the engine idling for several minutes while I set up other things for a few minutes and never saw it shut down like this. True, normally you wouldn't do this for an indefinitely extended time.

I was using a conventional steam-guage cockpit when I noticed this.

I'll check option settings and see if anything got changed there.

It will die every time at DEN or at similar altitudes or above. If you want to keep it running you must lean it out. You may have sat idling for some time but it sure wasn't at DEN unless you had just landed and were still leaned out.

DJ

Confirmed! The engine cannot idle at full rich settings at KDEN without either boosting your throttle or leaning the mixture. It would idle about 15-20 seconds then die.

P.S. Found the oil light! ;)

172 Denver.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

OK guys - here's the final word. Operator error! Bet you've never heard that one before.

I have been flying in idiot mode for quite some time, with the auto-mix set to ON. So FSX wasn't paying attention to altitude/mixture issues. I had turned it off to play around with mixture and prop adjustments. I leaned it out a bit and that took care of it which was a huge flag pointing to the auto mix. With auto-mix turned ON, it'll set here at DEN or anywhere else and idle all day.

Thanks to all of you the the help. Case closed.

OK guys - here's the final word. Operator error! Bet you've never heard that one before.

I have been flying in idiot mode for quite some time, with the auto-mix set to ON. So FSX wasn't paying attention to altitude/mixture issues. I had turned it off to play around with mixture and prop adjustments. I leaned it out a bit and that took care of it which was a huge flag pointing to the auto mix. With auto-mix turned ON, it'll set here at DEN or anywhere else and idle all day.

Thanks to all of you the the help. Case closed.

Just a note about auto mix - although it does work to some extent it does a spectacularly poor job of it compared to what a human does... it's good you got away from it.

DJ

Just a note about auto mix - although it does work to some extent it does a spectacularly poor job of it compared to what a human does... it's good you got away from it.

DJ

As an old stick and rudder guy, I think the same applies to almost any "auto" setting involved in human transport. Whether in the air or on the surface, whatever that surface might be, the human eye and mind are still the best and most dependable!

Although it is getting harder every day to find automobiles, boats, & soon planes that don't take the wheel out of your hand, those are the only ones I'll buy. I hugely feel the same is true for all transport vehicles regardless of where and how that transport occurs!

Aides are useful. However aides should never be considered replacements for the eyes and minds of humans whose lives depend on good decisions!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived