Video ads on the forum???

PPSFA

Come on admins, we get enough of this stuff elsewhere, please please please remove that!

Yes!! I've seen Video Jam scenes way too many times here!! Do you want to keep customers and sell sim related products? Video Jam is a distraction and waste of bandwidth!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I have complained about these ads a while ago. My point was that I am a First Class Member and surely should not be exposed to these ads. If you are not logged in, you won't see the ads; it's only after you log in that you see them. That is the opposite of what it should be; if you are a member, especially a First Class Member, the ads, if seen by all, should definitely disappear once you log in. The preferencial treatment of viewers is reversed; members who log in should not have to see any ads.

Thank you,

Tim

ASUS GL 12CX; Intel i7 9700K 3.6 GHz; 16 GB GDDR8 Memory; System BUS 2660 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6; Windows 10 Home x64

If you are seeing pop-up ads, other than the Yahoo ads in the dark blue bars, then you need to use something like ADBlockerPlus to chase 'em away.

Thank you, Mr. Zippy! I have noticed why you are Top Gun. Thank you. ADBlockerPlus works! Yaayy.

Thank you,

Tim

ASUS GL 12CX; Intel i7 9700K 3.6 GHz; 16 GB GDDR8 Memory; System BUS 2660 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6; Windows 10 Home x64

If you are seeing pop-up ads, other than the Yahoo ads in the dark blue bars, then you need to use something like ADBlockerPlus to chase 'em away.

Sorry but WE should not have to install anything to get rid of the damn thing, Flightsim should just remove them

• Founder

We have to run ads in order to pay the bills here. We get some support from those who sign up for First Class Memberships, but those people are pretty rare. For the rest of you, in order to offer you the site for free we have to do something to cover your expenses.

I'm not really sure what specific ads you are objecting too. We run our own, flightsim-specific ads and also use Google AdSense. The Google ads are context sensistive and what you see is related to your own interests; other sites you've visited recently, searches you've done, etc.

Nels, if the ads were sim related it would not be that big an issue. However these are for Jeep/Chrysler cars (which I have ZERO interest in) and also set to 'autoplay' so they start on their own. I haven't seen anything like this here until recently.

We have to run ads in order to pay the bills here. We get some support from those who sign up for First Class Memberships, but those people are pretty rare. For the rest of you, in order to offer you the site for free we have to do something to cover your expenses.

I'm not really sure what specific ads you are objecting too. We run our own, flightsim-specific ads and also use Google AdSense. The Google ads are context sensistive and what you see is related to your own interests; other sites you've visited recently, searches you've done, etc.

Nels,

I have no objection to ads except for video ads that come up with volume set to stun. If I were at work this site would become a no-go zone. In this case, the ad in question was a Ford motorcar ad. More and more sites are presenting this sort of thing and as a member of nearly 20 years standing, I very much dislike it.

DJ

After logging on I just got blasted by an apartments.com video ad (featuring the now-even-stranger-looking Jeff Goldblum). It's not a pop-out - it appears on the top right frame, just above the Latest Videos. Pausing the ad only gave a 30-second delay before it starts up again. I hope there's a red-hot spot in Hades made just for marketing people.

As for the person who originally thought up the idea of auto-play video ads, a wise Russian once said, "I'd piss on his grave, but I don't want to wait in line."

To me, this is a no-brainer. Nels, of course, is right. The money has to come from somewhere. Ads on the internet are a way of life and will only become more intrusive. But, it's an easy problem to fix.

In addition to the aforementioned AdBlocker Plus there are two more free blockers that I can recommend as I use them both (on different machines). For those of us who still refuse to update to IE11, there is probably the best ad blocker of all time - AdMuncher. It's free now but there is no support for IE11. Get it here: https://www.admuncher.com/ .

For the IE11 folks this one works very well also (and for previous version if IE too): http://www.adfender.com/ .

So, quit complaining and start downloading.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I wondered where the audio was coming from. Then I spoted the add (top right). I also hit 'pause', so that was only temporary 'fix'. I use FireFox so it's not IE related. It's like Nels said-they are related to previous site visits (ie: Amazon, EBay, etc) and/or Google searches. My solution is to turn MY sound OFF when I come in here and not only will you not hear the audio, you won't even know the ads are there and running. Use my head.

Chuck B

Napamule

I am a 1st Class Member. And I realize it takes $ to run any site. Cheesh - get over it people - let the ads run.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

My question is why are you looking at this site from work? If I was your employer and found you on this site during the hours I am paying you to be there for me I would fire you.

Keep the ads. I want this site to continue.

Sounds to me like you've never been an FLSA-exempt salaried employee working 80-hour weeks.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

It surprised me to see something about video ads on flightsim.com. I've never seen any. This privacy setting seems to work for me. I use ADBlocker Plus for IE 32 and 64bit

pop-up blocker.JPG

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

AdBlocker also works in Firefox

Good point. I should have mentioned that AdFender also works with Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

Doug

I've used AdBlocker Plus for a while now....I guess that's why I've never noticed these video ads people are complaining about. It is a free program and absolutely no problem to install and set-up, a very simple solution.......FS.com DOES need to pay the bills anyway.

I've used AdBlocker Plus for a while now....I guess that's why I've never noticed these video ads people are complaining about. It is a free program and absolutely no problem to install and set-up, a very simple solution.......FS.com DOES need to pay the bills anyway.

+1

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank You!

I feel like such a dummy! I recently built this computer and totally forgot to add AdBlocker Plus to this one. Did it & the spam ads are gone!

I enjoy the related ads from FlightSim & have bought items they advertise. It was the continuous cycle of ads featuring a woman dressed as a streetwalker, they probably call her a model, that really were driving me nuts.

BTW: I went ahead and bought a First Class Membership. I've meant to do that for awhile. I'd rather pay a little every now & then, than lose the forum.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived