Justflight's DH Tiger Moth Rudder

Just Flight's Tiger Moth works great with FSX but, I notice that turning Port, Left, any more than the slightest amount of bank I need virtually full Rudder to keep the slip needle centred yet turning to Starboard, Right appears OK. I use the same Saitek Rudder settings for all aircraft at this time, any thoughts on this.

I don't have that aircraft, so can't answer directly, but I do know that there are many flawed flight models out there. Your description sounds like one. A lot of experimentation with the .air file (I use AirEd) yaw factors can sometimes correct this.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Just Flight's Tiger Moth works great with FSX but, I notice that turning Port, Left, any more than the slightest amount of bank I need virtually full Rudder to keep the slip needle centred yet turning to Starboard, Right appears OK. I use the same Saitek Rudder settings for all aircraft at this time, any thoughts on this.

Read some PIREPS for the aircraft in question. It's a 1930's biplane. Of course the controls are all over the shop!

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-99612.html

Read some PIREPS for the aircraft in question. It's a 1930's biplane. Of course the controls are all over the shop!

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-99612.html

The real Tiger Moth is a pussycat*, not matching his description, thus I suggested a faulty flight model.

=======================

* I don't mean it's as gentle as a C-172, but full rudder to maintain a turn just isn't right.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

The real Tiger Moth is a pussycat*, not matching his description, thus I suggested a faulty flight model.

=======================

* I don't mean it's as gentle as a C-172, but full rudder to maintain a turn just isn't right.

As I was type rated in the Tiggie (got my tailwheel endorsement in one) you'll forgive me if I tell you it is really like that. Rudder leads. All the time. Every time.

You can also run out of elevator if you try to force a three-pointer and the differential ailerons (Much more `down` than `up`) were supposed to reduce adverse yaw, but in reality promote yaw. Which means rudder is needed. All the time.

No worse than the other aircraft of the period, mind. Classic control co-ordination didn't really get adopted until the Fifties and the Moth was born in the Twenties.

Easy to fly, yes. But difficult to fly well.

If our OP has a problem with the flight model, he is out of step with every review I have ever read of the JF aircraft. Which would suggest something else is going on.

There is, as usual, a vast amount of non-information.

Well the OP might try Ant's DH-82 Tiger Moth. Or get a better controller. Here is a video link to how I fly this 'Tiggie'. Link:

. Enjoy.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

As I was type rated in the Tiggie (got my tailwheel endorsement in one) you'll forgive me if I tell you it is really like that. Rudder leads. All the time. Every time.

Rudder leads, yes, as is true with most aircraft of the period, and even later, and even holding some rudder in the turn, but it doesn't take full rudder to hold it in the turn, as was described by the OP. And, depending on speed and bank angle, you may have to hold more or less rudder in the turn, more in one direction than in the other, but not "any more than the slightest amount of bank I need virtually full Rudder", as was described.

When I said "pussycat" I was referring to it being much like the Cub, Stearman, Champ, Great Lakes, etc. in being much more gentle and forgiving than so many others of the era.

If our OP has a problem with the flight model, he is out of step with every review I have ever read of the JF aircraft. Which would suggest something else is going on.

There is, as usual, a vast amount of non-information.

Since I don't have (thus haven't flown) the FS model mentioned here, I'll grant that the OP description may have somewhat exaggerated the handling problem, perhaps not being used to older aircraft and their distinctly different handling, but that description sounded like one of the so-common flaws in FS flight models.

I tend to be skeptical of the aircraft handling portion of reviews, since all too many reviews of FS models I have flown praise handling that I find flawed with a characteristic I've seen in so many FS models since at least FS98, something I call skip/skid, that many others repeatedly have denied existing. This characteristic includes excessive rudder needed to keep the ball centered, as well as continuing to skid sideways for a little while even after leveling the wings with rudder centered. It also often tends to make the aircraft descend uncontrollably while turning. This is something that is more difficult to see from the cockpit, but becomes fairly obvious from the 6 o'clock position in the locked spot view, and is especially noticeable when slow and low, such as at approach speed in the traffic pattern -- try to turn base to final, then tighten the turn when overshooting (or any turn, for that matter).

This flaw can generally be corrected by experimenting with the yaw parameters (yaw moments and side forces in the 1101 section of the .air file) often reducing some while increasing other pieces.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Archived