Searching African static people

leuen

I'm searching for African static people. The file "gw_people" contain the following suitable objects, but obvisouly there is a problem of sharing same GUID numbers with other objects in the same file.

That's what I placed ...

16151401944_0cc650f753_b.jpg

and that's what I got!

16772632642_9b783c3124_b.jpg

Does anybody knew other files with the same kind of people? Thanks for any advice.

Bernard

In the spirit of "never say never" I will say that it is highly unlikely that you have multiple objects with the same GUID in the same file.

I doubt the compiler would ever allow that.

A much more plausible cause is that you have multiple copies of gw_people.bgl in active scenery folders.

The file that you placed the objects with has different textures than the file that FS uses.

Start by searching your system for gw_people.bgl and make sure you only have one in an active scenery folder.

Having more than one instance of any object library in active scenery folders is a common cause of display issues.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi,

In the CalClassic African scenery the authors made the mistake of giving their African people the same GUIDs as the stock gw people. That's why you are getting this problem. One solution might be to Import the people BGL file in the Africa 1960 folder into ModelConverterX, change the GUID values for the African people, and use Export Scenery to output it with the new GUID values (I think that will work?). Then place them using the new GUID values.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

In the spirit of "never say never" I will say that it is highly unlikely that you have multiple objects with the same GUID in the same file.

I doubt the compiler would ever allow that.

It most definitely is possible, and I have witnessed it several times. As his been demonstrated here, FS will use only one - and of course you will only notice if a scenery displays the wrong one.

One of the occasions I discovered this involved airport fences at Greek airports which actually displayed as huge, oversids, passenger loading tubes like you find at gates (sorry, I can't remember the real name for them) - it looked scarily sci-fi!

It stands to reason that as the numbers are allocated on a random basis that once in a blue moon they will duplicate. A generator will not check every bgl on the machine concerned, never mind every one on everybody else's machine to check for conflict! I have noticed a newer game uses a massively long random alpha-numeric string, but it still won't prevent it happening.

But in this partiocular case it looks as if the developer just "re-skinned" the people and thought that renaming the file would be sufficient. That's a mistake that has been made before too. It amazes me that with FS2004 being so long in the tooth that such mistakes still get made.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Thanks for your posts.

@StringBean: the file "gw_people" is only saved once in my FS9.

@Tom: I opened the file "gwjd_people" coming with Africa scenery as advised, but the four people depticted above don't appear in ModelConverterX. Very strange.

Bernard

It most definitely is possible, and I have witnessed it several times.

John, please give an example of a library object .bgl file that contains 2 distinct objects with the same GUID.

The GUID is a 32 digit hexadecimal word and the number of unique GUIDs is 1632.

There are more GUIDs than there are stars in the sky.

If you gave every person on earth 500 unique, non-duplicated GUIDs, the odds of randomly generating a previously used GUID is about 50-50.

That being said, it could happen, though not in the same .bgl. The compiler would not allow it.

As for the OPs problem, it is a case of duplicate libraries, I am sure.

N.B. there is no guarantee that the file library has not been renamed.

It sounds like Tom is on to the cause.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I opened the file "gwjd_people" coming with Africa scenery as advised, but the four people depticted above don't appear in ModelConverterX.

Please describe the install locations for both of those libraries and where their textures are installed to.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Files gwjd_people.bgl, peeps01.bmp and peeps02.bmp are in a folder named Africa 1960. files gw_people.bgl, peeps01.bmp and peeps02.bmp were in folder Static Objects Library, but I meanwhile deleted them, as they were gwjd objects too.

Bernard

How did you place the objects?

What .bgl did you use when you placed them?

Can you search your system for other copies of peeps01.bmp and peeps02.bmp?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I've had these peeps01.bmp and peeps02.bmp files for at least six years now. I got them from the file library here. They were originally Airport For Windows style objects with an api file for each peep, errr, person. Some of "your people" look identical to those in here, don't you think?

Steve from Mudgee.

peeps01.jpg

peeps02.jpg

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

I've had these peeps01.bmp and peeps02.bmp files for at least six years now. I got them from the file library here. They were originally Airport For Windows style objects with an api file for each peep, errr, person. Some of "your people" look identical to those in here, don't you think?

Steve from Mudgee.

Yes, those are the original textures for gw_people.bgl.

As Tom stated, one of them was modified for the Cal Classic 1960 Africa scenery...

Capture.JPG

See the changes?

The challenge Bernard is facing is tracking down all of the copies of that scenery object library as FS will only recognize one instance of each GUID, no matter how many copies you have in active scenery folders, and use that one instance world wide.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

John, please give an example of a library object .bgl file that contains 2 distinct objects with the same GUID.

The GUID is a 32 digit hexadecimal word and the number of unique GUIDs is 1632.

There are more GUIDs than there are stars in the sky.

If you gave every person on earth 500 unique, non-duplicated GUIDs, the odds of randomly generating a previously used GUID is about 50-50.

That being said, it could happen, though not in the same .bgl. The compiler would not allow it.

As for the OPs problem, it is a case of duplicate libraries, I am sure.

N.B. there is no guarantee that the file library has not been renamed.

It sounds like Tom is on to the cause.

peace,

the Bean

Tom is right on the spot.

I don't think anybody has said the same number is repeated within the one BGL, the problem is that two separate and different library BGLs are using the exact same range of numbers.

The other examples I gave were where completely different BGLs had by pure chance used the same number.

Best regards,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

I highly appreciate your assistance - thanks to all.

Meanwhile I deleted gw_people.bgl as well as the two textures files in Static Scenery Library. I added the Africans to several airports, and they still are shown after having restarted FS9. So the problem can be considered as solved.

Jsut at last, I don't think that several similar libraries could be the cause. Some libraires like ramplights are even deculped.

Bernard

I don't think anybody has said the same number is repeated within the one BGL,

??????

I will say that it is highly unlikely that you have multiple objects with the same GUID in the same file.

It most definitely is possible, and I have witnessed it several times.

You said it, John.

Never argue with idiots.

I don't think that several similar libraries could be the cause. Some libraires like ramplights are even deculped.

Deculped? Do you mean decupled?

It most definitely is the cause.

The fact that eliminating duplicates fixed your problem goes to prove it.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Having more than one *identical* library BGL in your system is not going to cause any problems in my experience, unless (as in this case) one of the texture sheets had been changed (BTW, there is more than one figure changed; look in the upper left corner of the African version).

Another possible situation: many people have updated libraries, so you may have a copy of a library with 12 objects and another copy of that library with 20 objects (and thus 12 duplicated objects). This is only a problem when you are placing the objects and choose the earlier library - you will be missing 8 objects to place.

MS did say to avoid multiple copies of library BGL files; it might cause stability problems. I have not seen this though.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Archived