A stand-Alone "G" meter for FSX

wwhiteside

Gentleman, I see a need for a stand-alone G meter for our sim experiences. In flying, a HUGE part of any pilots flying sense. As I have flown FSX and other flight sims, like you for years I have longed for more feedback. I recently installed a Buttkicker in my sims seat and WOW what a nice effect. When force feedback sticks came out I tried one and I liked the idea but didn't like the execution. When I fly in the real world I RELY on my "seat of the pants" G' to tell me what my situation is. That includes passenger flights, aerobatics, racing, formation or just plain horsing around. I am constantly looking up and searching for "G" after hitting SHIFT Z but it's tough to find. What I am proposing is a better way to get "G" information to the pilot. I think if someone were to program a Saitek instrument gauge with a "G" meter, we would have it available no matter our view. That is just one idea and I know that you guys will have better ideas on this, maybe a constant indication or a popup gauge That we could add to and airplane and remained on the screen no matter if we changed views or not.

What do you think? I contacted Saitek and they say that we have to do it ourselves. Since I dont program anything but the GPS in the plane and the radio stations in the truck, I can't do it. Would someone be interested?

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Will

Good-day will,

We need to get you out on the Reno course soon.. (Sorry, still working on the scenery), however we do have some beta scenery to work with temporarily.

I agree. A simple G-readout pop-up would be excellent.

I can program one, that would be specific to aircraft type. It would be a line added into the panel.cfg folder, and would allow a SHIFT+# selection for readout.

We could do it in red, or green neon text?

Get back, and will discuss specifics.

- Joseph

Yep! I think either one could work just fine. As long as it would remain on-screen through any view change.

I always wanted to fly Race 57. When I would either pass it or be passed by it depending on the year, I was amazed at how big that prop was. I stayed out from behind it as best I could in the little Yak. Odegard was a very,very nice man.

Will

Why not borrow the gauge from the default Extra 300?

You could add it as a popup Window and add the line...

Type=Special

That will make it stay on screen when you change views.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

To add the Extra 300 G-Meter to a plane:

In the Panel.cfg:

[Window Titles]

WindowXX=G-Meter // add at the bottom of the list. Change XX to the next number.

Add this window description after the last [WindowXX] entry, before [Vcockpit01]

//***************************************

[WindowXX]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=200,200

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=0

visible=0

ident=80

render_3d_window=0

window_size= 0.120, 0.160

window_pos= 0.880, 0.260

Type=Special

gauge00=Extra_XML!g_meter, 1,1,198,198

Change [WindowXX] to the same number you used in [Window Titles]

The size and position can be altered by trial and error...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Thanks, ALL is the answer to that question.

:)

See post #13!!

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

Do you have to put the actual gauge in the aircraft folder?

To add the Extra 300 G-Meter to a plane:

In the Panel.cfg:

[Window Titles]

WindowXX=G-Meter // add at the bottom of the list. Change XX to the next number.

Add this window description after the last [WindowXX] entry, before [Vcockpit01]

[WindowXX]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=200,200

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=0

visible=0

ident=80

render_3d_window=0

window_size= 0.120, 0.160

window_pos= 0.880, 0.260

Type=Special

gauge00=Extra_XML!g_meter, 1,1,198,198

Change [WindowXX] to the same number you used in [Window Titles]

The size and position can be altered by trial and error...Don

No. You do have to be sure that you put a copy of Extra_XML.cab in your FSX/Gauges folder.

It is in the Extra300/Panel folder.

Because so many addons use default Gauges, it is a good idea to go thru all of the default aircraft's panel folders and put copies of any *.cab, *.gau, and *.dll file in FSX/Gauges...Don

No. You do have to be sure that you put a copy of Extra_XML.cab in your FSX/Gauges folder.

It is in the Extra300/Panel folder.

Because so many addons use default Gauges, it is a good idea to go thru all of the default aircraft's panel folders and put copies of any *.cab, *.gau, and *.dll file in FSX/Gauges...Don

Yep...that did it!

I dont suppose it's that easy to modify the programming in one of those Saitek guages so a guy could put it in an instrument panel?

Yep...that did it!
Great! :)

I dont suppose it's that easy to modify the programming in one of those Saitek guages so a guy could put it in an instrument panel?

I don't have a clue, but, you might want to ask in the Panel and Gauge Design forum...Don

Archived