TrackIR 5 for FSX

BryanButler

Hey guys. I've seen some vid's on YouTube of people using the TrackIR 5 device for FSX. I use (1) 27" monitor. I would like to purchase this thing, but at the same time I have my doubts about it. For example if I'm flying my Boeing 737-800 and want to look to the left to look out the window, wouldn't my sight be off my monitor screen? I mean I'd have to be looking at my screen with the corner of my eyes basically. Does anyone here use this with 1 monitor? Could you please shine some light on this for me? Thanks!

You do realize that TrackIR is used in the VC and not the 2D cockpit. Without TrackIR you get the same simulation by using spacebar+mouse to look around and out the side windows.

Yeah, VC. Do you still think I'd be able to turn my head to the left to look out the window, without having to turn my eyes all the way to the left just to see the center of my monitor screen? Thanks for your reply, mrzippy!

Does anyone here use this with 1 monitor?

Yes, I've been using TrackIR (version 4) for years. What happens is that the "head" on screen turns faster than your real head, such that it's only when I'm looking straight aft (or nearly so) in the sim that I have to have my eyes shifted far left or right. It takes a short time of adjustment, but it soon feels very natural. Also, the amount of movement in any axis is adjustable, as a curve, so if you wish you can have it move only a little in the first 10º (for example) of head movement, then a LOT as you move it further.

You can sit up to look further down over the nose, lean forward and/or sideways to see around the yoke or around the windshield pillar, you can tilt your head, or you can disable one or more axes if you wish. It's highly configurable, and you can even "pause" it, that is, freeze TrackIR in place so that your hat switch, arrows, whatever work just as if TrackIR weren't there (I've assigned a button on my stick to that).

It soon gets to the point where you don't think about it, but just do it, unlike every other type of control I've tried.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Kingnorris'

Talking about getting dizzy is not a joke. I had to stop using Track IR because I'd get nauseated every time I used it for more than a few minutes. I love what it does for the game but I can't take what it does to me.

Charlie

2/6/2015

I've had Track IR now for 3 years, I use it Religiously everytime I fly rather it be Propliners or Jetliners.

Really bring a whole new level of flying to the simulator.

Keep in mind it works best in a Slightly Darkened room !

ALSO very important, NOT to have any Reflective Glass behind you , such as a window or Door that light bounces off of that will be picked up by the Infra-red sensor on top of your monitor, what will happen is it will be jerky head movements as the sensor - senses light & reflections , hang a towl or blanket over any windows behind you.

Once you go thru the Track IR, adjustment menu screen and set it up to suit your level of flying, its pretty much it, very seldom will you have to mess with it.

I opted for the Ballhat clip to fly with and it works great once attached to a Dark Blue or Black Baseball hat, don't use white or light grey or any bright colored ballhat tho !

I only use a Black or Dark Blue Baseball hat and it works excellent !!

Yes you can "Smoothly" look around the entire Virtual Cockpit, sideways, up / down, below top, in/out at the Gauges , throttle quadrant and see things inside the cockpit and airplane you've never noticed before and outside the Aircraft too !

You can also PAUSE Track IR at anytime with by hitting any key combination you set up and assign the PAUSE button to, mine is F9 to PAUSE TrackIR.

To start again, just hit the assigned Button again whatever you choose.

All I can tell ya it really brought flying into a whole new level, inside the cockpit, compared to Jerky hat switch movements you've seen in a lotta videos.

Well worth the money you'll pay for it , I got the cheaper version with the Ball Hat clip and it works just fine for me !!

Jetranger

I don't leave the hangar without it. I disabled the forward/back axis until I got used to the other motions, then added it back.

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Looks like a great project, although it won't be $7! (I think it's safe to assume you need a camera too.)

Already have a camera ... but I hear you can get one really reasonable on ebay.

XP10/FSXSE_MSI B350_AMD Ryzen7 1700_16Gb DDR4 2133_Win7 64_GTX 550 1GB GPU

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

I opted for the Ballhat clip to fly with and it works great once attached to a Dark Blue or Black Baseball hat, don't use white or light grey or any bright colored ballhat tho !

I only use a Black or Dark Blue Baseball hat and it works excellent !!

That's odd -- I've been using a white one for years. Perhaps there's something in your environment that interacts with a light colored hat.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It's free and the facetrack is not ... you forgot about me mentioning a budget. From what I have seen it works fine. Just because it's a free software doesn't mean it's no good. Paying $7 bucks is way better than paying 22 to 34 pounds ... that's $31 to $52 plus change ... way more than I want to pay in us dollars.

XP10/FSXSE_MSI B350_AMD Ryzen7 1700_16Gb DDR4 2133_Win7 64_GTX 550 1GB GPU

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

Archived