Texture loading on the default 172

Double J

No bug in FSX otherwise we would all get it. So to diagnose (since you say the aircraft cfg and the textures are all standard), firstly turn down your settings in fsx and on your graphics card and see if that gets rid of the issue.

If it does, you can gradually increase settings until the issue re-emerges, showing where the problem lies.

However, it still sounds like some corruption of the aircraft files or textures, if it only happens with the 172. In this respect are you using the original stock aircraft and textures?

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Take a look here, particularly Nick Cooper's posts beginning with #11:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/86185-bowerman-110-white-airplanes

Maybe this is the problem?

I hope he's a member of that forum! I got a "Not allowed to view" message. I had a somewhat similar problem a year ago. My 172 and a couple of others, A321 and I think the CRJ-700 would appear with Night textures in the daytime. I think my only solution was a full reinstall. Probably caused by some funky download!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

He is, lol. The jist of the story was to make a new texture.common folder inside the c172 folder and move everything from the main texture folder there and then edit all the texture.cfgs to point to texture.common instead of just texture. Sign up, log in and read the thread for more details, I probably left half of them out. :)

This is not a texture displaying error. It is not an error at all I think.

Look at the preview image in the aircraft selection screen. (thumbnail.jpg).

There the plane depicted is white also.

I don't use the plane much but I do not remember ever seeing a red and gold one.

So, I have the feeling the white cessna is just accidentally called "red and gold".

Should be easy to correct the name to "White" by changing it in the aircraft.cfg file of the cessna.

cessna.jpg

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I checked the cessna folder (c172).

No texture folder there with a thumbnail that depicts a red and gold aircraft.

looked in the aircraft.cfg file, found this:

[fltsim.5]

texture=

ui_variation=" Red, Gold"

So, it uses the folder named Texture. (not texture.1 or texture.2 etc)

In "Texture" is the white thumbnail.

somehow it is named Red, Gold.

Btw, the other naming is confusing also.

For examle, the one named Blue,Gold actually looks white and gold and blue.

The one named Orange,Black looks orange and white.

So, no texture displaying errors, just weird naming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Btw, the other naming is confusing also.

For examle, the one named Blue,Gold actually looks white and gold.

The one named Orange,Black looks orange and white.

So, no texture displaying errors, just weird naming.

The Aces guy that wrote those descriptions was color blind!

There are in fact errors, it's not just a matter of an incorrectly named variation. Try this, load the white one (incorrectly named red & gold), spin around amd look at it from the exterior view, now load the yellow & black one. What happens? Do you see a yellow & black airplane? I don't, I still see a white one.

See the link I posted in post #6 for the solution.

For DoubleJ,

I checked all this in the 'virgin' copy of the fsx install that I kept. So it is like this from the moment you installed it. You probably just never noticed it before. (Neither did I, nice to know.)

Some of the Cessna's are just named weird. The textures are displaying correctly, they look the same as in the aircraft selection screen.

Changing the name to the correct one is easy to do. It is a simple change in the aircraft.cfg file.

Read this too. Thread started on the same subject at at the same moment this one started:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?286526-Default-C172-red-and-gold-texture-showing-just-a-blank-white-airplane&p=1900151&posted=1#post1900151

EDIT:

I had not seen the last reply by Jim Robinson.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Disregard this post, don't use this fix.

I'll leave the tekst of the post in so the thread is easyer to follow only.

This fix is Incomplete, do not use it. THE COMPLETE, CORRECT, VERSION I POSTED ABOVE, IN POST 20

Ok, I tried what Jim said and it works.

First I tested.

Loaded a flight with the white texture (the one named 'Red, Gold').

viewed from outside view, was white.

Then, selected, change aircraft --> Used trainer

Showed up as white!!! That's not good.

Tried Jim's fix.

Closed FSX.

3 Parts to the fix:

Opened \Simobjects\Airplanes

renamed the folder "Texture" to: "Texture.white" (without the quotes!!)

Opened the aircraft.cfg file

found section [fltsim.5] and in there

found the line:

texture=

changed that to:

texture=white

Also I changed the name you see in the aircraft selection screen.

In the [fltsim.5] section

find:

change to:

ui_variation=" White"

It worked.

Started a flight with the white cessna (now correctly named!)

Parked, switched to outside view.

Switched to Cessna "Used trainer"

Aircraft "Used trainer" showed up correctly, yellowish colour. (so not all-white like before.)

Thanks Jim Robinson!

This fix is incomplete, don't use it. THE COMPLETE, CORRECT, VERSION I POSTED ABOVE, IN POST 20

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only problem with this "fix" is that the texture is NOT completely white!

thumbnail.jpg

So the "correct" name for this in the ui_variation= line is "White with Blue Stripes".

The other problem with this fix is that this particular texture is used as default GA traffic, so by renaming the texture folder to texture.white, this plane would no longer appear as AI traffic!

well spotted.

first, your texture there I don't recognise. I think that's one you added later (download.) It's not a default one.

But that aside.

I made a huge booboo in that fix.

Every aircraft NEEDS a folder named "Texture" (without quotes), this is needed for the VC textures!!

So, the same fix, but instead, COPY The folder that is named "Texture" and name the copy "Texture.white"

Yhat way a folder Texture remains.

I'll look into the AI problem, and probably rewrite the "fix".

sorry about this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well spotted.

first, your texture there I don't recognise. I think that's one you added later (download.) It's not a default one.

But that aside.

I made a huge booboo in that fix.

Every aircraft NEEDS a folder named "Texture" (without quotes), this is needed for the VC textures!!

So, the same fix, but instead, COPY The folder that is named "Texture" and name the copy "Texture.white"

Yhat way a folder Texture remains.

I'll look into the AI problem, and probably rewrite the "fix".

sorry about this.

Default white 172 thumbnail.jpg from by FSX backup folder.

thumbnail.jpg

Addon 172 Red/Gold Thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

The only problem with this "fix" is that the texture is NOT completely white!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]175411[/ATTACH]

So the "correct" name for this in the ui_variation= line is "White with Blue Stripes".

The other problem with this fix is that this particular texture is used as default GA traffic, so by renaming the texture folder to texture.white, this plane would no longer appear as AI traffic!

I believe that was ui_variation="White with blue and gray" and/or ui_variation="White with blue and gray - IFR panel" from FS9, that paint doesn't exist in default FSX.

You won't "break" the aircraft as AI by renaming a texture folder as long as you don't mess with the title= line and do update the texture= line in the appropriate [fltsim.X] section which he did:

found the line:

texture=

changed that to:

texture=white

I rewrote the fix.

To describe the problem first. One of the default Cessna's is named "Red, Gold". But it displays as white. The problem is with the name being wrong. The texture is white and is supposed to be. It is just named "Red, Gold".

So a simple change you would think, but there is another issue.

If you load this aircraft (named "Red, Gold" but displaying white) it loads correctly. But if you then switch to another cessna that will also display as white!!!

And, this aircraft is shown as AI.

To fix it:

-1- To be able to choose the aircraft, you create a seperate version that is named white (correctly), and that doesn't have the aircraft switching problem.

-2- The original aircraft variation must still exist, to be used as AI.

-3- But you hide it from the aircraft selection screen, it has problems switching to another aircraft.

(Sounds much more complicated then it is, really. Read on...)

Find the cessna's folder.

It's in ..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Simobjects\Airplanes\c172

Intro beforehand: For every aircraft variation/paint there are two things present. A folder with the texture files, and an entry in the aircraft.cfg file.

The fix is in 3 easy steps:

****** STEP -ONE- ******************

First thing is to create an added new folder with the "new" texture.

Copy the folder named "Texture" that is there already.

Rename the copy you made to "Texture.white"

You should then have in folder \Airplanes\c172 two folders. One named "Texture" and one named "Texture.white" and they contain the same files.

******* STEP -TWO- ************************

Now you edit the aircraft.cfg file to create a new entry there for your "new" white texture.

For safety, before you start editing, make a backup copy of the aircraft.cfg file. Rename the copy to "aircraft_orig.cfg". Keep that safe and never edit it.

Now it is safe to create a new entry in the working aircraft.cfg for the correct white variation we are creating.

Open the aircraft.cfg file.

Find the section about this aircraft variation.

[fltsim.5]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

kb_checklists=Cessna172SP_check

kb_reference=Cessna172SP_ref

atc_id=N760PL

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"

ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"

description="A stable and trustworthy plane, most pilots have logged at least a few hours in a Cessna 172, since it's the most widely available aircraft in the rental fleet, and is used by most flight schools. Since the first prototype was completed in 1955, more than 35,000 C172s have been produced, making it the world's most popular single-engine plane. One of Cessna's first tricycle-gear airplanes, the 172 quickly became the favorite of a growing class of business pilots. Its reliability and easy handling (along with thoughtful engineering and structural updates) have ensured its continued popularity for decades."

Copy that section, and paste it directly below the original. It must be above the [General] -section.

The original [fltsim.5] section (above) you leave alone for now.

In the copied part you make four changes so it becomes:

(The

[fltsim.6]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP white

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=white

atc_id=N760PL

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_variation=" White"

description="A stable and trustworthy plane, most pilots have logged at least a few hours in a Cessna 172, since it's the most widely available aircraft in the rental fleet, and is used by most flight schools. Since the first prototype was completed in 1955, more than 35,000 C172s have been produced, making it the world's most popular single-engine plane. One of Cessna's first tricycle-gear airplanes, the 172 quickly became the favorite of a growing class of business pilots. Its reliability and easy handling (along with thoughtful engineering and structural updates) have ensured its continued popularity for decades."

-You have now "created" and added a new variation, [fltsim.6].

-It has a unique title= line (required).

-It uses the white texture folder you created.

-It is named " White" in the user interface because of the ui_variaton line, so you will see it as White in the aircraft selection screen.

The original, --named red, Gold but actually white-- one is also still there, so it is available as AI aircraft.

******** TEST *****************************************

close the aircraft.cfg and save the changes.

Start fsx.

Choose "select aircraft".

check the cessna variations. If you did everything correctly there are now two white aircraft to choose from. One named "Red, Gold" and the other one named "White".

Close FSX again.

******** STEP -THREE- ************************************

Now all that remains is to make sure the incorrect 'Red, Gold' texture no longer shows up in the user interface.

But, it must still be available in the sim for the AI.

To do this is simple.

go to the [Fltsim.5] section.

find the line:

panel=

change that to

panel=none

That means it wil look for a panel folder named "panel.none"

As there is no such panel it will see there is no panel for this variation.

FSX conciders planes with no panel folder AI. (they won't have a panel or a vc, and they will have no viewpoints/ eyepoints, so not user flyable).

It will then no longer show up in the UI aircraft selection screen. AI will still use it.

enjoy :)

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good job on that il88pp!........but this is far easier and works perfectly. The change is in red.

[fltsim.0]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=1

atc_id=G-BAFM

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_variation=" Blue, Gold"

[fltsim.1]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=2

atc_id=HB-MES

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_variation=" White,Green"

[fltsim.2]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint3

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=3

atc_id=N176CM

atc_id_color=0xffffffff

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_variation=" Orange, Black"

[fltsim.3]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint4

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=4

atc_id=N52KA

atc_id_color=0xffffffff

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_variation=" Used Trainer"

[fltsim.4]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP G1000

sim=Cessna172SP

model=G1000

panel=G1000

sound=

texture=G1000

atc_id=N700MS

atc_id_color=0xffffffff

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk G1000"

ui_variation=" Glass Cockpit"

[fltsim.5]

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP

sim=Cessna172SP

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

atc_id=N760PL

ui_manufacturer="Cessna"

ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"

ui_variation=" White"

mrzippy, I respectfully disagree:).

Glowing btw:):):)

I tried, and with your method the correct name appears in the UI (of course)

Then the aircraft is on the runway (looking white).

But,then, when I select "change aircraft" from the menu bar and select the Cessna variation "used trainer".

That also shows up white!!

No es bueno!!!

(When I select then another aircraft b737_800 Orbit, it shows up fine. After that I selected a blue cessna and that again showed up white.)

With the fix I posted in post 20 no such issue.:cool:

The fix may look a bit complicated, but was done faster then typing the instructions...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was much simpler the way Nick described it in the thread I linked in post #6, il88pp you simply got away with it by making it so you can't load the white variation with panel=none, you will still have the white texture problem if an AI in the area loads the white variation however. The problem is the C172_T.dds texture (and a couple other repaint-specific textures) should not be in the common texture folder defined as fallback.1 in all the texture.cfgs.

Read the thread, Nick has it nailed.

FWIW, and I may have missed it bouncing back and forth between the two threads, the "white livery stays white when you choose another paint" issue is not limited to the C172.

I know that it also happens on the Baron too. I seem to remember trying a bunch of the default planes and they all exhibited this behavior.

Let me second the motion that renaming the texture folder to texture.white is a bad idea unless you also edit all of the texture.cfg files. Even then I do not think it will fix the "always white" issue.

As for seeing the white livery as AI, I do not think the white liveries are assigned flightplans in the default traffic file.

If you are seeing the white liveries on AI I think you need to turn down some sliders.

If all of this has already been said, sorry, I may have missed it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi Jim,

I can't get to that info, "No permission to read this thread".

I don't see what you meant whith: 'you got away with it because...etc'

I tried to fix it and as to what I wanted out of it it was a success I think.

The failing c172 is replaced by a working one.

-The UI name is now correct.

-I can select the white texture and it is then a white aircraft.

-I can then switch back to anothe Cessna172 without problems.

-all other textures still present

so I concider it fixed.

Since the [fltsim.5] aircraft is still there (it just does not show up in the aircraft selection anymore, by design), there should be no difference in regards to the AI.

I just finished writing a very similar guide for the changing the c208B, but I need to proof read it first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived