Prowler

BillD22

The Black Friday credit card meltdown continues with the latest addition to my FSX hangar:D:D:D - the Razbam version of the Grumman EA6B "Prowler" - been waiting for this one to go on sale for a while

The EA6B is an electronic warfare airplane designed to take out surface to air missile sites and air defense radars with a combination of jamming and anti radiation missiles. After 30+ years or so of frontline service it's currently being replaced by the EA18G "Growler" version of the F/A18 Hornet.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

What an awesome airplane, Bill. I miss seeing the airplane in the skies...as well as the F-14 and many others. Well done on the pics, sir!

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Great series of shots of the EA6B Bill! I really like the close ups and creative perspectives. Beautifully done! :cool: :cool: :eek: Brings back old memories. Go ahead, whip that credit card out, looks like you got a good deal. :) I'm keeping mine where the sun don't shine. Madam does enough damage this time of year for the both of us. :)

Larry

Great series of shots of the EA6B Bill! I really like the close ups and creative perspectives. Beautifully done! :cool: :cool: :eek: Brings back old memories. Go ahead, whip that credit card out, looks like you got a good deal. :) I'm keeping mine where the sun don't shine. Madam does enough damage this time of year for the both of us. :)

Thanks Larry, Joe, & Jan

With regard to "madam" as far as these purchases go let's just say they're "off budget" - what the CIA would call "black" expenditures:D:D:D:D

The radiation symbol was used by some squadrons simply as a type of community joke - indicating the airplane's "zapping" capability. Actually the pods are the prime source of jamming and sensing.

The Prowler was also jokingly referred to as the "Station Wagon" or "Country Squire" because of four seats under canopies.

A good airplane, based on the A-6 Intruder with beefier landing gear for landing at a little heavier weights. I flew EA-6Bs during some structural and systems upgrade testing at the Naval Air Test Center at Pax River in the late 70's. Taxing it at light weights was a real back breaker due to the stiffer landing gear compared to a regular A-6.

Found this info about the radiation symbol.

In the head-on photos above, you will see a "radiation" symbol painted on the nose. This is for the benefit of the aircraft carrier's Landing Signal Officer (LSO) and other deck crew, so they can tell at a glance that this is a Prowler and not an Intruder. From the front, the two planes look virtually identical, particularly in low visibility. However, the Prowler is a slightly larger aircraft and has different deck handling requirements, and this visual aid lets the crew know immediately which plane they have so they can prepare accordingly.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Love the "Electric Six" as it was often called ... very noisy whiny engines on the flight deck. Just had a brand new E/A-18G here at the airport about a month ago, being ferried from St Louis to NAS Whidbey, and got to perform Plane Captain duties for it. Nice series Bill ! Mike ;)
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Terrific shots of a very interesting looking fighter. The Prowler model looks to have excellent detail. What does the interior look like? Jim

Thanks Jim - the exterior model is definitely the attraction here - the interior not so much - the VC is "OK" - but nothing to write home about - see the screenshot -the rear 2 EWO stations aren't modeled or depicted

e6pit.jpg

Archived