Will the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick work with FSX?

marc32123

I am looking to get my dad a joystick for Christmas with a good flight simulator game, and was wondering about this joystick and if it is compatible with FSX and newer flight games. I have been reading stuff all over the net about how it is the best joystick out there (mainly because of the force feedback I guess).

Hi Marc.

Yes, it will, but it is not very good / realistic, it does not feel / represent a true, real life like feed back.

You can get a add on app / configuration that helps improve it and FSUIPC that you can modify some parameters, but in my opinion is is not worth using it. Get a regular SW Precision Pro, Not the Precision Pro Plus with the USB dongle / connector and you / he will be better off. They are very good Digital sticks no pots to wear out.

The problem with the FF is that if you do not like the FF it does not have any springs / return to center, and you cannot use it as a regular stick. TV

Quote: '..still in great demand hence the high price..'

Without comparing with other sticks, the MS Sidewinder (any version) is the most durable, easiest to calibrate, smoothest, sturdiest, joystick EVER made. Period. I have had mine for 10 years and there are never ANY 'problems'. Never. Word to the wise.... You want 'popular' or 'the best'? Your call.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Have you actually compared it to the MS FFB2 joystick? Don't get me wrong the Logitech XTreme 3D Pro is a good joystick but it's not in the same league as the FFB2. I suppose you get what you pay for - forcefeedback and bullet-proof construction. The FFB2 is still in great demand hence the high price even on eBay.

I haven't, actually. I'm just throwing in my 2 bits about joysticks. :)

http://vnorthwest.com/lib/signatures/NWA3004.png

Great VA! Join me at http://www.vnorthwest.com :)

Hi Lesh and everyone.

You feel the ground rumble as you accelerate, the thump of the gear retracting, vibration as you approach the stall plus lots of other effects.

Interesting comment. If I felt anything like that in a real aircraft, yoke, Stick or stoke I'd probably ground that bird. I do not consider that real feedback. TV

I wouldn't use ANYTHING else but the Microsoft FF2 Joystick with Russell Dirk's Force Feedback software. Believe me, I've bought many joysticks and tried to find something that was more realistic, but NOTHING was. I've even gone to EBAY and purchased about 3-4 more of them because they are not made anymore. Check out the prices of these on EBAY and see if others don't think they are worth anything. You'll be surprised.

Stan

I like my FF2 stick very well. But I have not the power line connected. Forcefeedback is never used. In that config I have a very nice joystick. Easy to move in any direktion and stay in position, not the rudder of course. This is far from correct simulation but it is good for me.

I am looking on ebay and am seeing a few different models of the microsoft force feedback 2 it looks like. For example, two that show are the "Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 X05-63776" and the "Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 X05-92622".

What are the differences, and what should I go with???

Yes the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 works with FSX and with Windows 7 and is absolutely superb when used with the FS Force2 software from Dirk's software. Its as close to the real feel as you can get. You get all the right forces and feedback through the joystick tied in with elevator trim etc. You feel the difference between a hard landing and a soft landing and you try that much harder to make it soft. Around stall the controls go mushy etc. It really is an excellent combination that most people don't appreciate cos they've never tried a good force feedback system and don't know what they are missing.

Go for it - he'll love it.

silvergh0st

PS All this assumes he is right handed - its not so good for left handers cos of its shape.

Absolutely - MS Force Feedback 2 + FS Force 2 software/driver. The forces are scalable - i.e. you can increase or decrease the resistance. So, stick will be quite floppy at still, although will tend to fall forward under elevator weight if you wish, and resistance to inputs will increase as airspeed increases. You can use the supplied default profiles or make your own to suit the type of aircraft. It's just brilliant. No stick shaking if you don't want it, although I find it quite useful especially near the stall.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, though this is a few months old, there seems to be some pretty knowledgeable folks on the MS SFF2 and wondered if you can help out.

I read about this joystick, and thought it would be a very noce addition to my equipment (I also have "standard" yoke, pedals, throttle,etc.

Also seeing it's hard to find, I snagged one one ebay since my brother was in the states (I'm from South America) and I recently found another one on our local ebay equivalent and snagged it too just in case.

So now I'm testing them out and I can't seem to do it properly. I doubt both are "broken", and I do feel something (I take it these also have a sensor that your hand is on it?) but it's very light... :(

I have only tried DCS World where it kinda works but agin too weak and I think maybe the other controls are interfering, and I tried Jane's where it doesn't even do anything, and IL-2 sturmovik 1946 where not onky I can't even configure it, but also the colors/graphics are all messes up, somthat's a completely different issue....

So can anyone help me out as to what's the best way to test it and/or configure it? Is it supposed to be stonger the FF effect or maybe something else I may be missing?

My main goal was to use it for:

DCS World

Rise of Flight

Jets/helis in FSX/Prepare 3D/X-Plane

Other misc jet sims

I appreciate whover may provide any assistance.

Thanks!!

Archived