Best real weather download purchase?

cat

I had been using default FSX real weather downloads. I now want to buy something, which will provide real weather downloads, which doesn’t affect frame rates too much and uses the FSX clouds. I fly with photoreal scenery, Megasceneries & British VFR Real Scenery. I also want to continue occasionally using the FSX fixed weather, such as Clear Skies.

I have an 4 Core i7 GTX 470 graphics card Win 7. Use maximum cloud cover.

Is Active Sky the best choice for me?. If so, where do I buy it from?

Thanks,

Peter Sydney Australia

Hello Peter :)

Something you might want to try first is a freeware program called FSrealWX. I use it myself, and I absolutely love it. It is available from www.fsrealwx.net and is absolutely wonderful. It is very FAST, and is very simple.... meaning it is very easy to use. It is ONLY a solid-built weather engine, nothing else. No extra bells & whistles or large exhaustive manuals to read. You will NEED to register (free) on the website to gain full access. You want to do this, because you want to be able to download the full version... not the Lite version.

Once registered, open the website and select the Downloads tab, then click on FSrealWX.

Next, on lefthand side, click FSrealWX. Select the lower file named fsrealwxv2_setup_2010221.zip

fsrealwxv2_setup_2010221.zip

NOTE: When you install it, you will see a message warning about needing to purchase a "Key" after 20 days - ignore this completely. There is NO purchase ever needed - the software is 100% freeware.

After installation, open the program, click the FSrealWX tab (top left bar), click Options.

Next click Interface. Righthand side, browse to your MAIN FSX (or FS9) folder. Click OK.

Open FSX... load a flight. Open FSrealWX and click download. You ready-to-go! :cool: Enjoy ~Glenn

If you do decide to purchase a payware product, Active-Sky is truly amazing in every respect. The features alone are staggering.

PS: I own REX 2.0 HD+OverDrive, Active-Sky-Evolution, FS Global RealWX and Opus. They all have their fine points. REX is hands down the BEST textures anywhere. but, I really REALLY like the FSrealWX freeware weather engine. I pair it with the REX textures. :cool:

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

Do you think? FSrealWX is better then FSGRW and Opus? If you do how so? I own both OPUS FSX and FSGRW and I HAVE used the lite version of FSrealWX, but I am not sure how good it was. Honestly, I could not tell the difference between that and default FSX. But honestly, I think I should try it out for myself! I mean its free after all ;)
Intel i7 fourth gen (3.5ghz) 16GB RAM EVGA GTX660 Windows 10 64bit Pro edition

:confused: I'm sorry I have offended anyone - I guess I was a little too passionate in my offer to help Peter.

HillBillyJim is correct - with the Pro version of FSrealWX you will have the exact real-world weather situations, based on the real-world data from METARS. I think it works better than FSGRW and OPUS.

However, I think OPUS works better than FSGRW in my opinion, mainly because of how FSGRW displays weather conditions. It 'irks' me immensely that FSGRW inserts entirely Stratus clouds as the Weather-Accuracy slider is increased in the software. This is not correct in real life. Active-Sky, REX, OPUS, FSrealWX do not do this @ all.

You will need cloud textures to make FSrealWX work properly. It is ONLY a weather engine. I use REX, but you can use any cloud textures you wish. Tha main thing is this - Have Fun! ;)

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

So with FSrealWX, say from Paris to UK, I set real weather at LFPG & that gives me real

weather, all that flight path to Heathrow, as did the old FSX real weather?

Thx everyone for your kind & greatly helpful replies!

Peter Sydney Australia

So with FSrealWX, say from Paris to UK, I set real weather at LFPG & that gives me real

weather, all that flight path to Heathrow, as did the old FSX real weather?

Thx everyone for your kind & greatly helpful replies!

Peter Sydney Australia

Yes, Peter

Thats the way it works.

I used FSrealwax for long time before I got ASn and REX textures4. Havnt looked back. WIth ASN you can set the atsrt and end airport and it will find any weather station between to get the wather accurate it als use mulitple styations to try get the wather at paces none are avaliable. Its the best i have seeing.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

Thanks to Glenn, I "upgraded" from FSrealwx lite to the full version. Nice!!! And free! Thanks to the creator, and again to Glenn for the info!
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I had been using FSrealwx Lite and saw this thread about the "full" version so I tried it. I have it working OK, but the weather just doesn't seem to be realistic. It is as if it only has the weather set for the immediate area around me, but visibility is unlimited outside of that limited area. I think the results I get from the lite version look a LOT more like the actual sky is looking ( I am flying in my state ).

I have the full version set to Auto for the distance setting for how many stations to load. Presumably they both use the same servers/metars, so it is weird to me that the results look so different between the two.

Archived