DME and VOR always together?

helios1234

Nope not all VORs have DME. Most do, depending on where in the world you are.

If there is a DME it is usually the same frequency as the VOR. i.e. you tune the VOR and get the DME automatically.

Some DME's are attached or adjacent to NDB's and need to be tuned on the radios independently.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

how would u find out if the VOR station also has DME?

You can look at the Map.

VORs are shown as a 6-sided polygon, if they have DME they will have a square around them.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Also how would u find out if the VOR station also has DME?

Their depiction on a sectional chart has three possible symbols, one for a lone VOR, one for a VOR/DME and one for a VORTAC (VOR colocated with TACAN), although when the VOR is located on an airport (the airport symbol hiding the VOR symbol) then the frequency box is labeled with the type.

While the DME isn't the same frequency as a VOR (VOR is VHF, DME is UHF), the TACAN channel (or the DME freq associated with that TACAN channel) is always paired with a specific VOR frequency, such that aircraft radios will automatically tune the correct DME freq with a VOR.

So if you tune in the VOR, and the needle is responding well but you have no DME indication, then it's probably a stand-alone VOR.

This Wikipedia article will show the symbols and explain a LOT about the workings of these navaids. I think the FS map uses the same symbols shown on a chart. I've not really looked, but the GPS may even use those symbols (they use the universal airport symbols, so probably VOR too).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived