I Crashed My Sim In San Francisco ...

I experience a CTD on every attempt to fly into or out of KSFO. No problems anywhere else! This happens even with no addons installed, i.e. an empty Community folder. Any help would be appreciated.

Is this with a particular plane or any of them? Great thread title btw! ;)

Since the update, the sim has crashed 7 times. Trying to fly from vegas, it doesn't even make it to the runway. What is CTD?

Crash To Desktop. Is this with a particular plane or any of them?

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you using Legacy or Modern flight mode? I've just taken off in the Citation CJ4 from KSFO 19L heading for KLAS 26L with no problem, I'm using Modern flight mode.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It could be the KSFO scenery that's the problem - if you go into Content Manager, you should be able to select KSFO and uninstall it. If you then close and relaunch the sim, you can go back into Content Manager and find KSFO is ready to download again.

Yes, click Delete and then quit the sim and relaunch it. When you go back into Content Manager, search for KSFO and it should be ready to download and install again.

Thank YOU cobalt (and shb7!) for making me try the flight from KSFO to KLAS - for the first time in 18 years of simming - TRULY SPECTACULAR scenery and I'll making that a regular flight in future!

An update to my last post. It turns out that the problem is solved by removing the KSFO scenery and NOT reinstalling it. When i reinstall the KSFO scenery file in Content Manager, the CTD returns! But here's the interesting part: with KSFO removed, the airport still shows up in full detail as far as I can tell -- everything seems to be there. This must mean that KSFO scenery is included in the basic MSFS install, so that the KSFO scenery file is redundant, and when present it crashes the sim. Does this make any sense? Bottom line, everything looks good with that file deleted.

I have the exact same problem when setting KSFO as my arrival or departure, and even when flying near the airport. I did the above and removed the KSFO scenery file from the Content Manager, and unlike in your case, while it works now, the airport is less detailed (default) and is missing the detail of the Premium airport.

Is this a known issue? I am wondering whether a complete reinstall will solve the problem?

matthewz, I haven't actually seen the Premium version so can't be certain I am seeing the same thing. But the KSFO I am seeing (I just did a recheck) looks very detailed, with ground crews, loaded luggage trucks, etc. and the airport buildings, runways, and taxiways look very realistic. It is hard to believe I am seeing a default KSFO, but if I am, I'm happy with it!

I would be interested to know a bit more about the level of detail you are seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, my friend. With the Premium version, there is a custom version of KSFO, which has custom buildings and is an exact replica of the real airport. When I delete the KSFO scenery, I get the default airport - still pretty with taxiways, etc. but not the custom version. As someone who enjoys flying from KLAX to KSFO (and who paid extra for the Premium version) it is disappointing to have it crash on me unless I use the default scenery.

I am usually good at solving problems like this, but I am stumped. It only seems to be KSFO that is affected. I thought the recent patches would fix the problem, but no luck.

Have you had any success getting KSFO to work (other than deleting the KSFO package)? It obviously isn't a widespread problem as it only seems to affect you and I! The only thing I can think of is that we might have some residual files from an older version. I really don't want to have to delete everything and start again, but I am not sure what else I can do.

Thanks. I had submitted a report on this and they are "working on it" but I haven't heard back. Since KSFO looks pretty good to me and I don't normally fly there often, I am too busy flying to worry about it. However if you find a solution please let me know!

matthewz, I have a question for you, just out of curiosity. I wonder why precise realism of SFO (or any airport) is so important to you, and to many other simmers. The reason I ask, is that only the exterior of buildings at airports (or anywhere) is modeled in MSFS, yet when I am in a real airport I am inside nearly the whole time while waiting to board a flight. Even in my local airport I don't see much of the outside scenery except when my plane is taxiing prior to takeoff (and the same would be true for the crew). So I don't quite see what a precise modeling of the building exteriors in airports adds to the sim experience. Clearly it matters to you; I just don't see why.

• 1 month later...