One SSD full, one empty

Hi,

I have two NVME SSDs, 500GB each. I'm currently running Windows 10 and everything on the C:. I'm wondering if somebody can guide me to utilizing my other SSD so that I can get the most efficient storage operations out of my system? As add-ons, I currently own a few ORBX sceneries, FBW a320, PMDG 737, and a lot of downloads from flightsim.to.

Thanks

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

When you first install MSFS you can select the drive used for the Packages by following the guide below. I installed mine to G:\MSFS\Packages, for example.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-All-versions-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-Install-on-the-D-drive-instead-of-the-C-drive-for-instance-

From there add-ons you install will also go the Community folder the sim will create inside the Packages folder.

In additions to the sim and add-on data, you can also set the location of the cache folder used for scenery streaming to which ever drive you want. This is done in the settings in the sim.

There are also a couple third party add-on manager apps that can be used to install add-ons elsewhere on the computer and then link them back to the Community folder.

Hi,

I have two NVME SSDs, 500GB each. I'm currently running Windows 10 and everything on the C:. I'm wondering if somebody can guide me to utilizing my other SSD so that I can get the most efficient storage operations out of my system? As add-ons, I currently own a few ORBX sceneries, FBW a320, PMDG 737, and a lot of downloads from flightsim.to.

Thanks

So If I were you, being that 2x 500gb is limited space, especially since its split, I'd only use them for storing your actual OS install, and storing/installing your games that need the most performance. If you have other games that arent resource hogs, install them on an SSD or even regualr hartd drive. As far as files, I hope you're not using the precious NVMe storage space for any data. It not worth it, literally lol.

The only other advice i would have is to upgrade and swap out the x2 500gb with x2 2TB cards. Prices really are not expensive at all. I just bought x3 Samsung 2TB NVMe on a lightning deal on amazon for a total of under $400 just a few days ago

• 3 weeks later...

Screenshot 2022-07-20 171324.jpg

Hi Veezy,

Check out my attached screenshot. I have 84 Gb of Current Data Consumption. I'm not sure what to do from this point.

Thanks for your help!

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

That 84 Gb is not the size of MSFS on your computer, but it is the amount of real time data that have been sent to MSFS from the internet. It is there to help those that have data caps through their ISP (Internet Service Provider).
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

There is a file called UserCfg.opt in your... wait for it... C:\Users\MY NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOM CHARACTERS\LocalCache directory.

The last line in this file (use Notepad to open it) is InstalledPackagesPath "F:\FS2020\Packages"

So,on my PC, the guts of FS2020 are on my F:\ drive - basically, my Community and Packages folders.

You can move these two folders around as long as you change that last line in UserCfg.opt

One piece of software for management is spacesniffer.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.