AFCAD deletes runway designations resulting in parked traffic disappearing

TheRedBadger

I've noticed that anytime I make changes to an airport with AFCAD, the runway designators become "blank", which results in parked traffic disappearing after they get their clearance since there is "no runway" available, technically. Landing traffic is fine as it is leaving the runway.

I am pretty sure it is linked to changing the runway order in the runway list as the last 2 times I did do that. There's no way to prevent this from happening, is there? Seems tedious.

Carlos Si

AFCAD seems to use a slightly different set of parameters than the "official" designations as set out in the SDK and as compiled by BGLCOMP.

So, if the airport was originally designed using AFCAD, modifying and re-compiling using AFCAD will usually work no problem.

If the airport was originally designed using one of the utilities that rely on (or comply with) BGLCOMP and the SDK, AFCAD can decompile it, but it may not go back together completely correctly.

If an airport that was originally compiled using AFCAD and then decompiled using BGLXML or similar, BGLCOMP will often throw up re-compilation errors, requiring manual re-editing to rectify.

If I remember correctly, it's all down to AFCAD starting it's counting from zero (0,1,2,3 etc.) for it's runways, taxiways etc., whereas BGLCOMP expects 1,2,3,4 etc.

Each system produces FS compatible airports as an end result, but the procedure to do so differs!