Does overclocking CPU cause MSFS crash. ?

My computer guy wants to know why overclocking the CPU causes MSFS to freeze and get BSOD. He says it shouldn't.

Thanks

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

I overclock and don't have that problem. But I overclocked in the BIOS rather than using an external program to do it. Maybe running the external program could be the problem.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

No, as long as it is done correctly.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

I have read somewhere that for whatever reason, MSFS does not respond well to overclocking, however - and I say this as a BIG however - I have a Ryzen 9 3500K 12 core and I can get it all the way up to 4.6ghz - that's really not bad - but I use Ryzen Master - not the BIOS to overclock, so maybe that helps. I don't really think MSFS should be a game that really needs overclocking to begin with either, as I've had nothing but nice smooth experiences with it. :)

If your overclock caused a ctd, it's not a stable overclock. Reduce the oc until the ctds stop. Flight sim has historically been a good test for an oc that appears stable but isnt.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I tried to OC my RTX2070 Super in the bios but it kept failing on that. I did find program that allowed me to set up parameters that would overclock. It was trial and error. Basically set it up highest it could go and start it up. If it crashed, lower settings some. Do it all over again to find that preferred setting.

I just gave up trying and set it back to normal and let it run as is. Im getting solid 40fps in most areas. JFK it takes a little hit and drops to 20-25 fps but it is still smooth and not an issue for me now.

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

So I still get MSFS crashes and bsod while in flight, outside view and panning around or switching from outside view to inside view back and forth. .

I had a tech do a stress test on CPU, GPU, RAM all passed no problem.

Only thing that is overclocked is CPU all cores to 5.1

He said turning it down to factory default shouldn't make a difference ( is this true)???

I am not running the computer with many programs in the background.

Unplugging CH flightstick made no difference.

I would really like to resolve this issue so I can enjoy this Simulator.

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

Not sure if this has been asked/answered, but is your Community Folder emply? Mods at times can play havoc with MSFS

If everything else checks out, then I would revert your CPR back to un-overclocked and see what happens

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

You willl (eventually) find that 5.1 OC is not going to be stable and upon lowering it to, say, 4.5 or 4.2 that it will then be stable yet give you the performance you need. When you get PC stable let your 'PC Guy' know what you did. He will no doubt say 'Oh, ok' (and smile because he suspected the 5.1 OC was NEVER going to be stable but wanted you to THINK he was a 'great' tech - which is not always the case!).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

OK so i turned down CPU clock to 4.6, i'll see how that works. If still problems i can set to default. I assume i don't need to change anything but the clock speed in the bios ???? The desktop tower is really big and heavy so running it to the computer store is really a pain. LOL.

My community folder only has flybywire a320 and CYYZ by flytampa. I got to at least have those.

Thanks for your help.

You willl (eventually) find that 5.1 OC is not going to be stable and upon lowering it to, say, 4.5 or 4.2 that it will then be stable yet give you the performance you need. When you get PC stable let your 'PC Guy' know what you did. He will no doubt say 'Oh, ok' (and smile because he suspected the 5.1 OC was NEVER going to be stable but wanted you to THINK he was a 'great' tech - which is not always the case!).

Chuck B

Napamule

22 year overclocker here. I concur with Nap's assertion.

As for you lowering the CPU clock on your own, yes you can just do that BUT, unless you balance the other hardware,(mostly RAM speed, and other hardware factors) with your current lower clock you may still experience CTD's.

If your BIOS has a reset to default setting easily settable by you, then thats prob the way to go and find another overclock guy.

Basic pretty good overclock tutorials and other info about the subject can be found at tomshardware.com. Doing it yourself is prob best as it's not hard and what overclock you end up will heavily depend on the hardware not the skill of the overclocker for the type of overclocking you want to do.

Edited by Paxx

OK so i turned down CPU clock to 4.6, i'll see how that works. If still problems i can set to default. I assume i don't need to change anything but the clock speed in the bios ???? The desktop tower is really big and heavy so running it to the computer store is really a pain. LOL.

My community folder only has flybywire a320 and CYYZ by flytampa. I got to at least have those.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a plan. As for your mods, if you are still getting CTD, I would suggest disabling them, and see if you still get a CTD. If you don't then add one back, fly and see what happens.

When an update comes out, MODS will do some strange things until the developer of the mod "fixes/updates" it.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

He’s not just getting CTDs though.. he’s also getting the blue screen of death, so somethings not quite right

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

He’s not just getting CTDs though.. he’s also getting the blue screen of death, so somethings not quite right

Regards

Steve

Yeah, you're right. I mistakenly typed CTD instead of BSOD. The above info from me should help with BSOD from MSFS.

And for CTD with MSFS Davidc advice is solid.