HJG Douglas DC-9 Over Atlanta!

I edited the Aircraft.cfg file to show the Correct Builder! Douglas!

It's a matter of personal preference and possibly aviation trivia really :)

Some debate whether or not the DC-9 should be "DOUGLAS" or "McDONNELL-DOUGLAS" .... I know :)

Historically though .... the DC-9 was developed "by DOUGLAS" from 1963 and at around the same time it also sought invitation bids for a merger. By the time the aircraft first flew during February 1965, and was certified by November 1965, with deliveries commenced during December 1965, negotiations in regard to the prospect of a "DOUGLAS merger with McDONNELL" were already well in progress and continued throughout 1966. Once approved the "McDONNELL-DOUGLAS" merger/branding wasn't formalized until April 1967 .... and by which time a significant number of DC-9's had been produced and were already in airline service.

HJG designate the DC-9 as being "McDONNELL-DOUGLAS" product though .... simply because that's the most widely respected formal designation for the type. Support for it's DC-9 simulations is offered on both its "DOUGLAS" and "McDONNELL-DOUGLAS" forum pages though simply to cater for either preferences/interpretations :)

MRC

Think I read somewhere that some second officers flew these as a shortcut to becoming a full captain, don't know the details of how it worked but something on those lines.

didn't they also have nic name Mad-dogs or something similar?

Col.

didn't they also have nick name Mad-dogs or something similar

"MAD DOG" was the nick name applied to MD-81/82/83/87/88/90 aircraft (later larger, heavier, and more advanced progressions of the original DC-9 design .... following the DC-9-50) from the 1980's .... and at around the same time the McDONNELL-DOUGLAS also dropped the original and historic "DC" civil aircraft designator in favor of their then new "MD" designation.

Think (?) FAA references still refer to the MD-81/82/83/87/88/90 as "DC-9-81/82/83/87/88/90" though .... probably because of it's evolution as an amendment to the original FAA DC-9 certificate.

Just to digress this "MD" designator slightly: Whilst the MD-80/90 SERIES are commonly referred to as "MAD DOG's" some apparently refer to the MD-11's as being "MIGHTY DOG's" or "MEGA DOGS" :)

MRC

Nice shot.

Mad Dog 81 instead of MD 81 is a typical universal way of expressing things that might be misunderstood if radio conditions are poor. For example SP is pronounced Sierra Papa, PF is Papa Foxtrot, etc.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Interesting, since I had not known that Delta flew the shorties - they were there and gone before I started flying. When I was flying around the South, from the early 70's, they had nothing but -30's.

One poster remarked about a third pilot on these airplanes - you are probably thinking of the 737, not the DC-9. AFAIK, no US airline ever operated any DC-9 series airplane with three pilots - those airplanes had only one jumpseat, and by law that one had to be made available for the FAA upon demand. On the other hand, the 737, although certified and designed for a two pilot crew, ran up against the sensibilities of the UAL pilot group, who had decided that there should be 3 pilots up front on all commercial jets. This, as an aside, was the main reason for the airlines adopting the flight officer concept - the F/E was a licensed pilot on the pilot seniority list - for all jets back in the early 60's. In any event, the 737 was handicapped by the inclusion of a third pilot at many, although perhaps not all, ALPA airlines, and came equipped with two jumpseats, which the new ones may still have today. It was operated like this until a Presidential Board around 1983 ruled that a flight engineer position was not needed for the 757/767 nor any other subsequent airliner, and the 737's went back to a two pilot crew.

I had not known that Delta flew the shorties - they were there and gone before I started flying

"IF" .... it's of any interest to anyone "HERE" ....

Erik INGRAM and myself compiled the following-linked history of DAL DC-9 and MD-80/90 operations .... as a tribute to these aircraft following the withdrawal from service of DAL's last MD-80/80's during 2020 ....

https://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/thread/9964/delta-dc-9-dynasty

We also jointly compiled the following-linked history of the AAL MD-80/90's too .... similarly in accordance with their withdrawal from AAL service during 2019 ....

https://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/thread/9532/long-super-80-retirement-tribute

Both histories are supported by the HJG offerings among these lines of simulations.

MRC

Edited by aerofoto