incomplete product being sold: cs 777 767 and C-130...

In a world where so many developers are making high quality products, and then fixing very minor bugs and mistakes to try making the perfect product, one "developer" is taking the shortest of shortcuts.

CaptainSim in the era of MSFS, is flushing it's reputation down the drain. They used to make good products, their C-130 for FS2004 and FSX was quality. Full cockpit, nice soundpack, many variants included, lots of repaints, people LOVED that product.

But first a few months back, they disappointed many with the B-777, which had people questioning if the plane flew like the real one. It featured the default 747 cockpit, and basically was not up to freeware expectations, but sold for real money. Just days ago, they released a B-767-400 with many of the same complaints.

Somehow, the most disappointing was yet to come:

Captain C-130 Hercules is even MORE disappointing. It's VERY incomplete. Not even close to retail ready.

The exterior model looks good. And there's a couple of options for opening doors. But it's all downhill from there.

There is NO COCKPIT. No virtial cockpit, no 2d panel, nothing. Hangliders have more instrumentation than this "Herc" has been given. Good luck getting anywhere without navigation, without AP. Good luck in IFR conditions,

It sounds like a King Air B350... because they didn't make a Hercules sound pack, no they are using the default King Air sounds. What is this, freeware from 2006, or a payware product?!?!? Even back in 2006 some freeware included dedicated sound packs.

It doesn't fly like a Herc. Doesn't seem to have the weight, is too manoeuvrable. It's like crappy freeware from 20+ years ago.

Look up videos on youtube. People are not happy. It's being sold for $15 US. It's even deceptive on the web page... on the one hand says it doesn't include the cockpit... ok that's fair... but in barely another breath it claims to have a fully detailed high quality cockpit... in the "exterior model". Ok it's not a lie. But it seems to me that they are trying to deceive a buyer who's not careful about details.

By comparison, there is the new Ercoup, and Boeing 247, for around $20... these feature good sound, accurate weights and dynamics, and have super detailed unique cockpits with custom gauges to represent the vintage feel of these aircraft. Top stuff.

You know, Alphasim used to make a lot of inexpensive payware products. And once their product was two sims old and not selling so well, they'd offer up the old planes for free. It wasn't perfect, but it was free as-is.

I love the real C-130 and wished that Captainsim would have brought their FSX product (with sound and awesome virtual cockpit) into MSFS2020... but they have not. They are selling a bad punchline without a good joke. They've had 2 years to develop a good product, so many others have, from the CRJ, to DC-6, from Kodiak and Twin Otter to Concorde... but to me, Captainsim seem to be trying to deceive the customer and ripping off customers for an end product that most payware users would delete.

From now on I'm boycotting their company.

From now on I'm boycotting their company.

We should ALL be doing the same:

Apparently Captain Sim's gauges and systems programmers left the company some time ago, they only have a 3D modeller and a texture artist now (unconfirmed by CS themselves, I've read this on various forums).

The forums consensus seems to be that they can't hire new programmers now because they've ruined their reputation with these lousy MSFS products, which they keep on producing instead of closing down.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Sounds like they need a new plan:

Get a gauge maker and cockpit designer to join. Don't have to hire for money if that's an issue, maybe make a partnership. Do the same with a soundpack designer.

Create a new brand. Don't hint at past affiliations.

Make a complete quality freeware plane. doesn't have to be complex, but it's gotta do everything right. Use that to build a reputation. All the major components.

Make a proper payware product with all the features people expect. Charge a modest reasonable price. Market it. Send to influencers for reviews and promotion. Get good sales. Repeat.

Yea easy for me to say from the comfort of my non-developer home... but they need to change course before the whole community rejects the company entirely.

PMDG are apparently soon going to release the 737 NG for MSFS... I'd expect that product to equal or surpass their superb FSX and FS9 products, which were considered by many to be "like the real thing" in all the ways that mattered. Use it to train and familiarise with the real aircraft.

Edited by Herc79

Pretty sad when a FREE a320 Fly-By-Wire (FBW) blows CS payware away.

I’m addicted to the FBW. It’s all I fly now.

CS will be out of business soon if they keep this up.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Too true, many of their past products were well regarded. There was a time, decades ago, where Captainsim was the TOP payware provider, or at least close to the top.

Also, I think their recent customers for P3D products seem to also be happy...

... so why this giant insult to MSFS customers??!?!

Edit: it's not even limited to MSFS, just take a look at 3rd party payware products for other sims. Xplane and Eagle Dynamic's DCS has Hinds, Moskquitos and Apaches that feature INCREDIBLE cockpits, sound packs taken from extensive recordings of the real aircraft... and even DCS has 3rd party developers making INCREDIBLE products... look at Heatblur's F-14B... the artistry is off the charts.

Edited by Herc79

Here's an example of just how poor this situation is. No instruments no cockpit no sound pack for MSFS at $15 US.

But this guy uses a converter program, to bring the same company's older product for FSX into MSFS 2020... presumably without help from any companies:

This shows that not only is it possible, it's BEEN DONE.

So what's Captainsim's excuse now!?!?!?!

Edited by Herc79

So what's Captainsim's excuse now!?!?!?!

They've only got a 3D modeller and a texture artist now, and neither of them have a clue about doing anything like this to start with - plus, this video is from 22 Jan 2021 and port-overs like this don't work in the sim any more.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I'm sorry but that's not an excuse, only an explanation!

No, I'm not taking issue with you, Tim,

I'm just suggesting that Captainsim doesn't have a leg to stand on with this. Ok so they are lacking some expertise they used to have. Then that means they are either out of business or need to change before offering product once again.

There are many new players in MSFS space who have not only figured out how to make virtual cockpits, sound packs, brand new custom gauges of types not even seen in the base game/sim...

... and some have even figured out how to make convincing HELICOPTERS in a game engine that DOESN'T SUPPORT HELICOPTERS!!! A few payware and several freeware.

When the HypePerformanceGroup H-135 is free, has had SOOOO many updates, bug fixes, functionality added regularly.... Captainsim has no business even releasing this "hercules" for free, much less for real money.

Check them out, they started helos for MSFS, which Asobo won't even begin looking at for about another year:

https://www.hypeperformancegroup.com/

Edited by Herc79

And that's the original product that was decent. The new product sounds like a tiny King Air, not a mighty Hercules!

This guy is all about silly entertainment, don't look for a super critical review of any aircraft... however he does point out the downsides of this product:

Edited by Herc79